Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU running at 100% svchost.exe seems to be the issue

Options
  • 16-06-2016 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Old Vista32 machine starting running full on since a few days ago, have run malwarebytes (two items quarantined) and hijackthis see attachment for log, any thoughts? Or could it be hardware related?

svchost.exe running at up to 90% of CPU usage (11 threads)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try ending the process from TaskManager and not having automatic Windows Updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just checked the services linked to the instance of svchost.exe that was doing all the work - it was for updates - switched it off and now averaging 20% :)

I had wondered if there was a link as the update for windows dialogue loaded this morning but wouldn't connect with MS servers.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I was getting high CPU usage for Windows Update, and tried many, many different things to resolve it, but none worked.
    I blame the ccleaner registry cleaner for corrupting the Windows registry.

My laptop wasn't compatible with the free Windows 10 update, so I had the choice of reinstalling Windows 7, but I took the leap and installed Linux Mint 17.3 instead.

Advertisement