Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Questions

Options
  • 16-06-2016 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

I'm going to OC my monitor is there any advantage to 72Hz or 75Hz over each other or will I just go as high as it'll go even if that's some odd number like 81Hz?

Is there any performance advantage to partitioning a 960GB SSD for the OS and games or will I just leave it as one big drive?

Does anyone know of a 2.5" HDD that doesn't have that annoying click when idle, or are the two ancient drives I have just on the way out?

Has anyone got secure erase to work on an M.2 drive - not sure I want to pull out and plug in an m.2 when the system is powered on!

Thanks in advance chaps!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

As far as I know there's no performance gain to partitioning but it's nice for storing a specific fgroup of files together e.g. all music on one partition, all movies on another.

Your HDDs are old if the clicks are loud and frequent enough to annoy you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

As far as I know there's no performance gain to partitioning but it's nice for storing a specific fgroup of files together e.g. all music on one partition, all movies on another.

Your HDDs are old if the clicks are loud and frequent enough to annoy you

Just to confirm idle clicks it's actually quieter when in operation. Good to know it's not going to be a problem on new drives. I'll grab a 1 or 2tb when I'm back off hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there any performance advantage to partitioning a 960GB SSD for the OS and games or will I just leave it as one big drive?

The reason to do it is for OS installs. If you manage to brick windows somehow then its much quicker to format just the OS and have all the data(games) persist. Same goes if you're somebody who likes to re-install every 6mo (though Id call ya crazy).
    Has anyone got secure erase to work on an M.2 drive - not sure I want to pull out and plug in an m.2 when the system is powered on!

Not sure what you mean here, do you want Hot-Swap or Secure erase? Dont think any M2s are hot swappable.

Secure erase is a nice concept for military applications etc but really the amount of data that could "leak" through controller wear levelling is minute. You're talking about 512 byte sectors that are non contiguous with no file table to compare against and can only be retrieved by managing to bypass the controller. I'm security conscious (DBAN old disks) but not Snowden level paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Secure erase is a little program that comes with the Samsung drives. I was selling my M.2 so I wanted to blank it off. It always has this issue of a lock state so you have to unplug the drive, meh on SATA but M.2 :eek: This is while the power is on!

Googled, seemed other people were doing it, did it, worked! :pac:

Advertisement