Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to sell/trade in car but it's recently been scratched (keyed)

• 16-06-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'll be looking to trade in my car towards the end of July but we noticed about 6 weeks ago the rear passenger door was really badly scratched. It actually looks like it was keyed (the pattern is straight then a curled upline, almost like a hurley if you can picture it). It's 5 years old so had a few little pings anyway, all from other cars in car parks etc.

Would it be recommended I fix it before selling it? I was thinking of getting a quote and knocking that off the asking price, but I'd imagine it would be a stronger sell if I got it fixed.
    On the trade in side the dealer is unlikely to look it over (my last trade in was a simple check the book and give the value) so I might get away with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A dealer would be very foolish not to look over a 5 year old car they are taking as a trade-in, unless of course they are giving you next to nothing for it to begin with.

Get a price to repair it and see what the dealer offers you for the car either as is or repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

bazz26 wrote: »
    A dealer would be very foolish not to look over a 5 year old car they are taking as a trade-in, unless of course they are giving you next to nothing for it to begin with.

Get a price to repair it and see what the dealer offers you for the car either as is or repaired.

I would have thought the same on the trade in but the last few trade ins have been really solid, may have just got lucky (not that there was anything wrong with them anyway).

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wouldn't bother fixing it, dealer will be able to get it done much cheaper than you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't bother fixing it, dealer will be able to get it done much cheaper than you will.

Yeah but he probably won't tell the customer that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah but he probably won't tell the customer that. ;)

That he won't :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thanks guys.

Advertisement