Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group B,England v Wales 2pm Lens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sterling shouldn't even be in the squad, let alone the starting XI. Today should be the last we see of him in the tournament if Roy has the tiniest bit of common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

niallo27 wrote: »
    Good old Danny. Best finisher at the euros.

I guess you haven't been watching the Euros

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Deserved. Wales very negative but understandable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Who is better than him. Natural finisher.

• martyos121 wrote: »
    Sterling shouldn't even be in the squad, let alone the starting XI. Today should be the last we see of him in the tournament if Roy has the tiniest bit of common sense.

Shocking Sterling has been for 12+ months

Roy got lucky today IMO

martyos121 wrote: »

Agreed. Sterling and Kane should be benched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Possibly meant best finisher not at a top club at the euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

That's a big 'if' with him :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great to see England win. On the balance of the game, I think they deserved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is a tournament weirdly bereft of great centre forwards. Most of the good finishes we've seen so far have been from midfielders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Great subs from Roy, the naysayers proved wrong. He's the best man for England,don't rule out him taking this average group far. They may not have the guile of the Belgians, the technique of Spaniards, the athleticism of the French but they are tough, resolute, dogged, and workman like, could be their year.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

I don't think Wales can have too many complaints about that. It's understandable for a limited team like Albania to sit back, but with all the attacking decent players they have they should have tried to play a bit of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Well done England. Better team won. Unlucky Wales - great spirit - hope they batter Russia.

I took it as best finish at the Euros.

kfallon wrote: »
    That's a big 'if' with him :pac:

It is indeed! :pac:

Credit to him though, his changes won the match in the end, even Rashford looked quite good I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hodgson stumbled across the front-line that any fool could have seen he should have started with. Better teams than Wales will exploit his tactical naivety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Oooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Well,Wales like Scotland and N Ireland is not even a real country anyway. Just a province of the UK, not much different from Texas, New Mexico etc.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is a tournament weirdly bereft of great centre forwards. Most of the good finishes we've seen so far have been from midfielders.

The very best ones (Lewandowski, Ibrahimovic, Long) are stuck in crap teams unfortunately.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

????

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »
    Well,Wales like Scotland and N Ireland is not even a real country anyway. Just a province of the UK, not much different from Texas, New Mexico etc.

Or England

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sturridge demonstrates why Liverpool would be crazy to consider selling him even if some (idiotic imo) fans would! And also why Woy had to pick him again when people said to leave him at home. Criminally underrated player for such a prolific, dynamic goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

niallo27 wrote: »
    England are not a bad side. They could win the thing with a bit of luck and avoid pens.

I think its the best England side in a very long time. Will be interesting to see how far they get. If they get to the knockouts they are under no pressure

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I think its the best England side in a very long time. Will be interesting to see how far they get. If they get to the knockouts they are under no pressure

They are pretty much in the knockouts now but I wouldn't be backing them
    To win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

That sub bench could be a real get out of jail card for Roy. Fullback positions are the defensive achilles heel and will be exploited by better sides later on in the tournament.

Sturridge demonstrates why Liverpool would be crazy to consider selling him even if some (idiotic imo) fans would! And also why Woy had to pick him again when people said to leave him at home. Criminally underrated player for such a prolific, dynamic goalscorer.

Sturridge is world class, all Liverpool fans know this. however his continuous injuries and desire for the game can come into question. The guy is ridiculously gifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

mansize wrote: »

They are pretty much in the knockouts now but I wouldn't be backing them
    To win it.
    Injury free they have an okay chance.

Damien Duff really is king of the clichés. He fits in well at the RTE football coverage team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Got away with starting Sterling again. Been a very poor tournament for Kane so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lets not get carried away.

In the cold light of day England will always be better than Wales. The group is fairly easy for them in all honesty, getting out of the group in top spot should be seen as the least this team should be achieving.

This is Wales. Not a football superpower, 1st time in a tournament for 58 years and only there cause of Bale and the expanded nature.

Good on England for the win, they had to work for that, but so many shortcomings. Very poor 1st half, Roy eventually seeing what the rest of the world already suspected, and their front 5 is very good. But midfield and defence is poor.

Hart is not having a good tournament, should have done better for the Russia goal and he should have saved Bale's FK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

England only looked as average as the tournament favourites did last night..no one has been amazing so far this tournament. It's a wide open tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Damien Duff really is king of the clichés. He fits in well at the RTE football coverage team.

Harsh on the some of the other panelists who've done their homework. But yeah, he adds nothing .

Toobz wrote: »
    England only looked as average as the tournament favourites did last night..no one has been amazing so far this tournament. It's a wide open tournament.

Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I wouldn't say he's underrated at all. Most fans would know he's a prolific goalscorer on the occasions he plays football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sturridge is world class, all Liverpool fans know this. however his continuous injuries and desire for the game can come into question. The guy is ridiculously gifted.

You'd think that was true but unfortunately in spite of a phenomenal strike rate for Liverpool he's still very much under appreciated by a decent proportion of fans, in fact he get's a ****load of grief from some of them, I think they think he gets injured on purpose or something. Anyway, Yes I do agree with you... class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Wales need a result in their last game to be sure...

Luckily for them it's against Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,387 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Up front maybe but even that's debatable. They've had much better midfielders and defenders in past squads though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Leroy42 wrote: »

In the cold light of day England will always be better than Wales. The group is fairly easy for them in all honesty, getting out of the group in top spot should be seen as the least this team should be achieving.

This is Wales. Not a football superpower, 1st time in a tournament for 58 years and only there cause of Bale and the expanded nature.

Good on England for the win, they had to work for that, but so many shortcomings. Very poor 1st half, Roy eventually seeing what the rest of the world already suspected, and their front 5 is very good. But midfield and defence is poor.

Hart is not having a good tournament, should have done better for the Russia goal and he should have saved Bale's FK.

So what is the most they should be achieving if top spot is the least? Win every game 5-0?

Don't think England are tournament winners by any stretch but they stuck at it today to get the win and were the better team throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jesus BBC is sickening with the trumpet blowing.

Logan to Coleman " Is their a bit of envy when you look across to the English bench and see the talent there?"

Other things I learned from the BBC today

Kyle Walker is one of the best RB in the world
    Danny Rose is also one of the best LB
    Wayne Rooney looks like he has been playing his whole life in midfield.
    Marcus Rashford is the best young player around.

Seriously like :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So what is the most they should be achieving if top spot is the least? Win every game 5-0?

Don't think England are tournament winners by any stretch but they stuck at it today to get the win and were the better team throughout.

They should be aiming for at least Semi-final not simply getting out of the group. They should be aiming to get top of the group to make the path to the semi as easy as possible.

They showed good character today to get that result, much better than against Russia, but its Wales, these were beaten 3-0 by Portugal a few weeks ago. The media seem to somehow think that this Wales team is amazing, when really they are little more than journey men with Bale. And Bale was missing today.

On the basis that Bale failed to turn up, beating Wales with a injury time winner is hardly cause for thinking they can win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Without Harts howler, Wales never looked in the game really.

England should have won it with a bit more ease but couldnt manage it.

Hodgson picking the wrong team and setup didnt help either so I wont be quick to hand out plaudits to him for correcting the error that he originally made, he got away with it today but wont against a much better side than the Welsh.

Q/F exit for England, maybe S/F if they get a favourable draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

rob316 wrote: »

Logan to Coleman " Is their a bit of envy when you look across to the English bench and see the talent there?"

I switched it off. Couldn't listen to it anymore.

England are an average team.

Leroy42 wrote: »

I'm not. Wales are incredibly limited and England should have comfortably won. But this will stand to them.

They will surprise a few in the the knockout stages IMO but won't win it.

Up front maybe but even that's debatable. They've had much better midfielders and defenders in past squads though.

True but I think as a team this lot play much better together.

Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Scholes, Beckham, Terry, Ferdinand, Rooney all very good but didn't work as a team. Its basically very similar to what were seeing with Belgium. You need the right balance to achieve results. The Italians are masters of it in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

They spout the same crap about Andy Murray, he was the king of Clay untill Djokovic beat him in the RG final ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Deise2016

The rush to be anti England anti BBC all the time is a bit stupid really.

Watch RTE before an Ireland game and we're the exact same.

According to Eamon Dunphy Wes Hoolahan is one of the best midfield players in the Premier League, Shane Long is one of the best strikers etc

All we hear from RTE is how great the Irish fans are, the self proclaimed 'greatest fans in the world'

All countries get excited and positive about their team during a tournament.

The Welsh media were saying no England players would get in their team!

England and the BBC are no different.

Jesus we went into the last Euros in the same group as Spain, Croatia and Italy and every pundit in RTE said we'd get out of the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

That'll be Gabby Logan (nee Yorath) daughter of Terry and who supports Wales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Got away with starting Sterling again. Been a very poor tournament for Kane so far
    Neither of them should be anywhere near the starting XI against Slovakia. Vardy and Sturridge in straight swaps for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Deise2016 wrote: »

According to Eamon Dunphy Wes Hoolahan is one of the best midfield players in the Premier League, Shane Long is one of the best strikers etc

All we hear from RTE is how great the Irish fans are, the self proclaimed 'greatest fans in the world'

Jesus we went into the last Euros in the same group as Spain, Croatia and Italy and every pundit in RTE said we'd get out of the group

To a degree you are right of course, but we are discussing the England game here and in that context, their media are deluded. I have frequently been asked by English friends why I was often happy to see England beaten and my answer was and is always because of their medias attitude. Nothing to do with the ould enemy BS. Their team is over hyped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Deise2016 wrote: »

But the BBC should be somewhat more impartial given they cover Wales too surely?

• Advertisement
Advertisement