Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Group B,England v Wales 2pm Lens.

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Deise2016 wrote: »
    Watch RTE before an Ireland game and we're the exact same.

According to Eamon Dunphy Wes Hoolahan is one of the best midfield players in the Premier League, Shane Long is one of the best strikers etc

This is undoubtedly true. Dunphy at it again today. If our players played for any other country he'd have no hesitation in dismissing them as journeymen, average etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

rob316 wrote: »
    Jesus BBC is sickening with the trumpet blowing.

Logan to Coleman " Is their a bit of envy when you look across to the English bench and see the talent there?"

Other things I learned from the BBC today

Kyle Walker is one of the best RB in the world
    Danny Rose is also one of the best LB
    Wayne Rooney looks like he has been playing his whole life in midfield.
    Marcus Rashford is the best young player around.

Seriously like :rolleyes:

Watch RTE. The BBC is providing a service to their licence payers, not to you. It's fairly typical that the only people that are complaining are Irish, not English or Welsh licence payers. National broadcasters are entitled to get behind their teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Mushy wrote: »
    But the BBC should be somewhat more impartial given they cover Wales too surely?
    I would guess that if you lived in Wales and were watching their local BBC and ITV coverage in their local news bulletins, you would be getting the other side of that particular coin. When it comes to jingoism and xenophobia, RTE are right up (down?) there with the Beeb. Yet they don't get the same stick on here that the BBC do. Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Thread derailed, completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

whatever_ wrote: »
    Watch RTE. The BBC is providing a service to their licence payers, not to you. It's fairly typical that the only people that are complaining are Irish, not English or Welsh licence payers. National broadcasters are entitled to get behind their teams.

Well I was in work, couldn't get the RTE player to work so I had to watch it on BBC.

I am no way anti-English or British I would be perfectly happy to see England win an international competition.

But the constant over hyping and overrating of the players to a nauseating degree is my problem, RTE do not do that to even close to the same degree. Dunphy and Co are quite happy to tear strips off any Irish player.

They build them up, they fail to live up to it because most simply don't have the talent they are made out to have, its why the English team have been consistent failures for almost forever.

blueser wrote: »
    I would guess that if you lived in Wales and were watching their local BBC and ITV coverage in their local news bulletins, you would be getting the other side of that particular coin. When it comes to jingoism and xenophobia, RTE are right up (down?) there with the Beeb. Yet they don't get the same stick on here that the BBC do. Odd.

Don't guess, deal in facts. I am English and I watched the match on RTE, because I pay a licence fee to RTE, not to the BBC. RTE have a Public Sector Broadcasting Obligation and as a licence payer I can complain if they fail in their obligations.

Well I was in work, couldn't get the RTE player to work so I had to watch it on BBC.

I am no way anti-English or British I would be perfectly happy to see England win an international competition.

But the constant over hyping and overrating of the players to a nauseating degree is my problem, RTE do not do that to even close to the same degree. Dunphy and Co are quite happy to tear strips off any Irish player.

They build them up, they fail to live up to it because most simply don't have the talent they are made out to have, its why the English team have been consistent failures for almost forever.

Exactly, the RTE player wouldn't work. So as a licence player complain to RTE not about the BBC. Your afternoon's viewing was subsidised by BBC licence payers - perhaps you should just say thank you ! My England team invariably fail because they are invariably not good enough. Do not try to over-complicate things !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ever watch an Ireland rugby match on RTE? Now that's overhyping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I said before the start England would get QF and on todays evidence that's as far as they can go, Sterling is terrible shouldn't be near the starting 11, they have a lack of balance to the team in the end they just threw all the striker on and tbf got the winner, they will be destroyed in MF by a Spain or France and they are shaky at the back. Despite all the ball England created few clear cut chances, hilarious with the overhype from the BBC, Rose and Walker are nowhere near world class. England are a decent but not top side they'll fall short against an elite team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

whatever_ wrote: »
    Exactly, the RTE player wouldn't work. So as a licence player complain to RTE not about the BBC. Your afternoon's viewing was subsidised by BBC licence payers - perhaps you should just say thank you ! My England team invariably fail because they are invariably not good enough. Do not try to over-complicate things !

Christ, I'm just not going to bother this debate is too stupid for me.

Back on topic, regarding England's chances in this tournament.

The midfield will be destroyed by the likes of Germany, France, Spain and Italy.
    Back line is average and will definitely be exposed.

They should just go for it, they have a lot of firepower and pace in Vardy and Sturridge up front. Those 2 could score against anyone IMO but Roy just doesn't know how to setup this team correctly.

Plane home in the QF I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If you're going to set your team up whereby you don't give a toss about team shape, coherent structure or a particular plan, then you must play Sturridge.

Kane is top class, but he's is functional in comparison, and is lethal in a team that presses effectively and plays at breakneck pace.

Roy has stumbled upon something with Sturridge and Vardy. He must not look this gift horse in the mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

SlickRic wrote: »
    Roy has stumbled upon something with Sturridge and Vardy. He must not look this gift horse in the mouth.

Totally agree. Kane hasn't looked himself at all so far and Sturridge and Vardy seem to fit together. He must go with them for the next game. Worried about us at the back though. Just watching the Germany v Poland game here and both teams look rock solid in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

England's group have a decent path to the semi finals for whoever tops it. They'll play a third place team in the last 16 and then the winners of group F or runners up of Group E in the quarters. You'd think that would be Portugal/Belgium but the way those groups started out you'd never know who it could be, but both of those being more than beatable and probably on England's level. There's not a stand out team, most teams have looked poor so far, so I don't think it's right to write England off yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wales were total rubbish today and deserved what they got, which was nothing. If they actually hadn't sat back for most of the game they would have got something out of it. When they scored I would have gone for a second.

England may not win it but they have the firepower to go fairly far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Joe Hart is a liability to england,,,what the hell was he doing for that free kick??

his positioning was woeful, he'll cost them a game..mark my words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jesus BBC is sickening with the trumpet blowing.

Logan to Coleman " Is their a bit of envy when you look across to the English bench and see the talent there

England had Sturridge, Vardy, Henderson, Milner, Wilshere and Rashford on the bench. Seems a reasonable question to me.

I'll take that win. I honestly think this England team are not set up to do great against teams who don't have the ball. I think we'll be more dangerous in the knock out rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Beefy78 wrote: »
    England had Sturridge, Vardy, Henderson, Milner, Wilshere and Rashford on the bench. Seems a reasonable question to me.

I'll take that win. I honestly think this England team are not set up to do great against teams who don't have the ball. I think we'll be more dangerous in the knock out rounds.

As Roy Keane would say, "have you been drinking".;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

jeepers! that welsh manager is full of guff...cliché after cliché after cliché

Grandeeod wrote: »
    To a degree you are right of course, but we are discussing the England game here and in that context, their media are deluded. I have frequently been asked by English friends why I was often happy to see England beaten and my answer was and is always because of their medias attitude. Nothing to do with the ould enemy BS. Their team is over hyped.

So I assume yesterday you were rooting for England, given that Bale has spent the last few days shooting his mouth off all over the place about how awesome Wales are, how much more passion they have, how no England player will get in their team etc etc? And at the same time the England camp have basically said nothing and kept their heads down?

Or maybe not.

It always amuses me when people try to come up with these 'reasons' for cheering against England. Just accept you don't like them, Everton fans don't try and explain why they don't like Liverpool.

btw on the subject of the football itself, I think England may come into their own when they are up against better teams who want to play on the front foot. Their best players will be suited by a more counter-attacking game. The flip side is that the defence will be tested and probably found wanting. They could serve up a couple of entertaining matches but hard to see them going all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Wales have a good midfield and the most expensive attacker on the planet yet didn't create a single opening in 90 mins versus a team with only 3 defensive players of Cahill, Smalling and Dier that was throwing the kitchen sink forward.

Games like this make me appreciate what we have in Martin O'Neill and not some spoofer like Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

NIMAN wrote: »
    As Roy Keane would say, "have you been drinking".;)

Maybe a little :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Wales have a good midfield and the most expensive attacker on the planet yet didn't create a single opening in 90 mins versus a team with only 3 defensive players of Cahill, Smalling and Dier that was throwing the kitchen sink forward.

Games like this make me appreciate what we have in Martin O'Neill and not some spoofer like Coleman.

I don't even know what this means. They did create openings, and it's also pretty obvious that Bale isn't 100%. And even with that, our game against Germany which we won was the exact same performance as Wales had against England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Dots1982 wrote: »

What an odd statement. Coleman has managed to guide Wales, with a tiny talent pool of players, to a major tournament for the first time in decades. Also, in agreement with the previous poster, many of the RoI's famous victories were cases of grabbing a goal and getting as many men behind the ball and trying to hold out for the 1-0 win; eg: England in the Euros, Italy in the WC in USA and Germany in the qualifiers for this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Ramsey, Ledley, Allen with Bale is a midfield that should be doing more than what they did against England which was almost nothing in an attacking sense. England played with three defensive players on the pitch and were there to be picked off. Maybe the players are to blame but it just seemed like Wales who have most expensive attacker in the world didn't really have a clue how to play on the break versus a defensively weak team. I would be looking at the manager.

Advertisement