Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does vaping equate to smoking ?

• 16-06-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

ok, I'm sure I will get lambasted for my stupidity here..

I'm trying to work out, how many puffs off any device equates to one cigarette ?

I get there are many variables and I wondering if anyone has any ideas how to go about working this out ?

The reason is, I want to use them but don't wont to OD on nicotine..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

You could get a million different answers on this, like you say, many variables. What strength nic you use, what tank the juice is in, what ohm the coil in the tank is, how hard you 'pull' or vape each hit, how deep you inhale, whether you mouth-to-lung *[MTL] or Direct lung *[DL] inhale etc ...

I read on this before, when pondering the same thing. Not this was a few years back when I started. But I remember 2ml of 18mg nic juice would be in or around the equivalent of 20 smokes. Then again, depends on the nic content of the cig's ...

But you shouldn't worry, starting out I would suggest 12mg, and not to worry about how much you're vaping, you won't vape over 2ml per day at the start on that strength. And you'll be looking for tanks using 1 - 1.5ohm coils. You'll hear people say they vape 4-5+ ml a day [I can easily vape 10+ if I chain it] , but that will most likely be 3mg, in sub ohm tanks. They're probably only really inhaling 30% of it. Most vapers cut down nic levels over time, and move on to more powerful devices and lower ohm, bigger, cloudier tanks.

If you start out with something like a Nautilus X, and 12mg juices, vaping in around 15w, you're not going to go through more nic than you can handle :)

*you may see these shortened and mentioned a lot, for future ref ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

The only variable I have is the box of cigs I'm smoking that says 0.4 mg Nicotine..

Really appreciate your time in replying... Im still lost lol but I appreciate the info

sunny2004 wrote: »
    The only variable I have is the box of cigs I'm smoking that says 0.4 mg Nicotine..

Really appreciate your time in replying... Im still lost lol but I appreciate the info

But the other variables will come into play when you begin vaping. I was on Silk cut blues when I quit, but went straight to 18mg nic liquids. At the time though, most coils were 2.4ohm, so you weren't getting a really strong hit even at that strength. I was vaping at 8-10w mostly back then. Now I vape 40w+ on 3mg juice using 0.4 - 0.5ohm coils. It's completely different. The tanks and devices are so much better nowadays. Depends on what tank you are looking at, and what coils you may use? Then we can help more :) Anything is better than smoking

But the other variables will come into play when you begin vaping. I was on Silk cut blues when I quit, but went straight to 18mg nic liquids. At the time though, most coils were 2.4ohm, so you weren't getting a really strong hit even at that strength. I was vaping at 8-10w mostly back then. Now I vape 40w+ on 3mg juice using 0.4 - 0.5ohm coils. It's completely different. The tanks and devices are so much better nowadays. Depends on what tank you are looking at, and what coils you may use? Then we can help more :) Anything is better than smoking

Totally agree, anything is better than smoking, as for the rest, I would appreciate if you didn't reply in Swedish lol Clearly I haven't got a clue and need to do more research on this..

I have also realised for the first time, how I actually smoke, I take a drag into my mouth, then pass it to my lungs, then instantly take another drag and do the same, two drags one set of full lungs.. do this about 8 times, maybe 10 and the cig is over..

for me, that would seem like a LOT of vaping...

• Advertisement

Totally agree, anything is better than smoking, as for the rest, I would appreciate if you didn't reply in Swedish lol Clearly I haven't got a clue and need to do more research on this..

I hear ya, it can seem like double Dutch when starting out. We were all the same ;)

Look upthe likes of the Eleaf iStick 40w, the Evic mini TC or the Coolfire IV. Then look at tanks like the Nautilus X and the Cuboid. I'm sure someone has other maybe better suggestions for a beginner vaper. But that wouldn't be bad ones to start with. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

You know that feeling when you have too many fags after one another, bit dizzy, bit sweaty, bit green. You get the same off too much vape.

Don't over think it. Take a few draws off e cig. When you get a craving, take another few.

With a fag you light the whole thing. Think of e cigs as being able to have a half fag here, a quarter a fag another time etc. Or a full fags worth (which you will soon work out the equivalent) and wait until you want to go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

I wondered the same when I started and then started to think I was vaping too much. I stopped trying to vape like I smoked and just had a vape when I felt like it - might have a 1 puff put in down, have a couple of puffs put it down and so on whenever I wanted some. These days I vape a lot but at very low nicotine levels and just enjoy the various flavours and the whole hand to mouth thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

I can't directly answer your question, but when I started I vaped about 4ml of 18mg/ml liquid (approx 70mg/day) - that fully satisfied coming off a 25g pouch of Drum a day habit.

Regarding OD'ing, I did overdo it a bit sometimes at the start. Vaped nic absorbs a bit slower than smoked nic, so you can overdo it before you realise. The best tip is that if you feel you might have overdone it, you have, so stop immediately. You will feel a bit sickly for a few minutes, but that's it. It's just like having one smoke too many.
    Moving from trying to replicate smoking to having a couple of drags on demand will make overdoing it highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

That declaration of nicotine on cigs is due to be removed under the new TPD.
    This is a question with several answers. First off cigs declare the nic delivered or absorbed rather than the nicotine contained in the tobacco. Some will escape in the exhale, some will burn in the heat and some will not metabolise due to the effect of the chemistry of combustion.
    E juice declares the nicotine content of the juice. How much is taken up by the user is another thing entirely. Studies done on this found users needed to do several things to get the same nicotine into their bloodstream as smokers. They needed to get used to vaping and the difference between it and smoking (long versus short puffs) and they needed to vape for over 15 minutes or more to get the same nicotine as smoking one cigarette.
    Even at that maintenance vaping is needed as theirs no rush from vaping like smoking so to keep the cravings at bay you need to keep topping up the nic.
    Nicotine is rapidly taken up by smoking, in vaping most is absorbed in the mouth before getting to the lungs and its nicotine in its original form which is slower to absorb than the nicotine from tobacco smoke.
    Good paper here on the effectiveness of vaping at delivering nicotine which contains this piece of information. Note this is using 18mg, the study recommends 50mg to equal smoking:eek:
    Compared to smoking one tobacco cigarette, the EC devices and liquid used in this study delivered one-third to one-fourth the amount of nicotine after 5 minutes of use.
    http://www.nature.com/articles/srep04133

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I worked it out at about one 30ml bottle is about the same as about 50g of tobacco, and one 50g pouch of tobacco for me would be about the same as 80 normal fags.
    Might be different for you but thats what i got.

As for nicotine strength 18mg is the equivalent of a rothman or a major while 11mg is like silk cut.
    The big difference for me is that vaping is like a fag that never goes out, Anytime i want a puff i take a puff.
    Dont worry about OD on nicotine, you will notice it before things get to dangerous levels.

Advertisement