Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Review and contract

Options
  • 16-06-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Wondering if anyone can help me here. Have been reading up on the rent increase situation here - http://www.prtb.ie/search-results/news/article/2015/12/04/new-amendments-to-the-legislation-on-rent-increases-and-notices-of-termination-effective-from-4th-december-2015.

I am in a property where LL increased the rent last June so cannot do so this June.

However, I'm wondering where I legally stand if they decide not to renew my lease. Lets say for example that they want to raise rent but can't with me so they think to themselves that they will just decline to renew my lease and then put the property back on the market for the higher amount.

Are they within their rights to do this?

I remember reading a thread about this before here and the answer was no, but I don't remember if that was during a lease/breaking a lease. Here no lease would be broken, LL just wouldn't renew.

Can they do this? They haven't but am just wondering if it's a possibility

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There's formalities surrounding a part IV - the type of lease you really want to be on. I'm not sure if that negates automatically going on to it after six months. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm that for you.

Advertisement