Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bin Charges - Will you Pay More or Less

Options
  • 16-06-2016 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Will you be paying more or less for your refuse collections when new Pay By weight charges are introduced?

Will you Pay More or Less for Pay By Weight (incl service charges) 146 votes

Yes, We Will Pay More
    0% 0 votes
    No, We Will Pay Less
    87% 128 votes
    We Use other options, bring centres, garage compactors etc
    7% 11 votes
    We Eat all Our Waste(Atari Jaguar)
    4% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

More.
    We'll be paying over 500 Euro per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 baggytiger

More. But not in the way I expected...

You'd think, wouldn't you, that a change from "per lift" to "per kg" shouldn't result in any change to the service charge, but would only affect the actual collection charges - some people would pay less and some would pay more, if the change was revenue-neutral.

I'm one of those who didn't put my bins out at every opportunity, but tried to wait till they were full, in order to make the most of the "per lift" basis. So I can understand how I might perhaps pay more in collection charges under the "per kg" basis.

But instead:

- My service charge (with City Bin Co) is increasing from €55 a year to €117 a year.
    - My collection charges will actually decrease substantially, based on what I can calculate from my recent bills, though not by enough to offset the increase in service charge.

I'm sure that's not what the government intended when they introduced this legislation, and I hope Simon Coveney will make this clear to City Bin and the other waste companies when he meets them next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

We paid €285 this year for Thorntons. To stay at that level over the 12 months from July, our black bin will need to be at 18-19kg per fortnight to come in around the same level. We've a one year old so nappies still coming thick and fast.

I expect us to be paying €350-400 for the 12 months from July....so a significant increase

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm on Killiney so we are already being ripped off. 65 euro a year, +3.20 a lift + 27.7C per kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Already pay by weight with Citybin. Recycle everything possible etc.
    Annual charge will be going up to €117, from €55 approx. Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Only a small number of votes in yet but 95% say they will have to pay more! That tallys with the ten minute liveline poll earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

if it gets too expensive for many alternative sources of getting rid of rubbish will start to increase,if the green bin fees rise also recycling correctly might take a big hit,are we not good enough in good recycling responsibly and they want to screw us more.
    did i hear the government keeping an eye on things.

bring back the incinerator for burning rubbish.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheRealPONeill

When you now see an average €3 per week "service charge" and a broad consensus on ~ 30c/kg pay by weight among the "providers", you know this was a done deal in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

cancelled my home waste. get rid of through work. this is a national disgrace.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any truth in the stories that large companies and supermarkets etc are actually paid by the waste disposal companies to allow them to collect all the recyclable materials.
    Now if that was to be introduced for domestic waste that would be the incentive needed to get people recycling properly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

How do I find out?

How do I find out?

Who are you with?

A lot of waste collection companies have a record of weights for the last while, probably on your online account.

You can look at your average black and brown bin weights, multiply the weights by the charges, add in standing charges and work out how much the annual cost is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So after getting access and averaging out the last three moths of data I worked out I will be paying roughly 27/28 euro a month for 5 people, which is less than the current 29.41 I pay them.

Calculation based on the lift weight data available for last three months on the Greenstar site..

Current charge: 29.41

Charges under new monthly standing charge and weights:
    March : 27.56
    April : 26.74
    May : 28.31

Seems reasonable. What am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Without posting up the weights, other posters will not be able to help you.

It is probably best to work out your future charges based on 1 (or more) previous years of data, as it'll include seasonal fluctuations as well. Christmas etc.
    Ludo wrote: »
    So after getting access and averaging out the last three moths of data I worked out I will be paying roughly 27/28 euro a month for 5 people, which is less than the current 29.41 I pay them.

Calculation based on the lift weight data available for last three months on the Greenstar site..

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Im with greyhound dublin and my waste charges will be at least double, maybe almost triple

Without posting up the weights, other posters will not be able to help you.

It is probably best to work out your future charges based on 1 (or more) previous years of data, as it'll include seasonal fluctuations as well. Christmas etc.

Christmas will definitely be an issue alright. Can't think of any others though..other than being away on holidays which would reduce it. Summer garden waste does not go in our bin anyway so that wont affect it. Once off things will be the issue I guess. I have a side gate to garden to break up and put in the bin now for example. That is quite heavy. Must get it in next bin :-)

The standing charge is €13 per month so you're saying that with 33c/kg for black bin and 20c/kg for brown bin, you'd only come to €14.56 for the general and organic waste generated across the month?

Fair play if that's true for a house of 5.

The standing charge is €13 per month so you're saying that with 33c/kg for black bin and 20c/kg for brown bin, you'd only come to €14.56 for the general and organic waste generated across the month?

I'm with Greenstar (Cork). Standing charge is 19.50. Compost (Brown) 14c/KG. Refuse (Black) 18c/KG.

Weights were:
    March Compost: 32.5kg - Waste 19.5kg
    April Compost: 39.5kg - Waste 9.5kg
    May Compost: 34kg - Waste 22.5kg

That would be a total monthly weight of about 40kg which some people can do if they take out all bottles jars and compost their food waste and have a wormery in the garden etc etc, Most people are not so Green and never will be!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That would be a total monthly weight of about 40kg which some people can do if they take out all bottles jars and compost their food waste and have a wormery in the garden etc etc, Most people are not so Green and never will be!

I suppose it is. It just sounded low for 5 people and all credit to them if that's the case.

Gonna have to start hanging wet nappies out to dry and scooping the contents of dirty ones into brown bin....

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »

All bottles/glass jars go in a glass bin (classed as recycling so "free").

Don't compost anything. All food waste goes into the brown bin for collection. It is always way heavier than the refuse bin which is mainly plastic wrappings so pretty light. No nappies though anymore thankfully. I remember dragging out those bins with nappies from our twins...gawd that would have been costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

We are with Citybin. Even if we didn't put the bin out at all in the coming year, and kept it as an ornament :(, we would still be paying quite a bit more in the standing charge alone, than we paid previously for the year (annual charge plus lifts).

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I'm in Donegal and always paid per lift with tags, been trying to find out for the last 2 months what the standing charges and price per kilo will be with the 2 service providers in my area, Ferry's and DM waste, checked yesterday and still no word so I have no idea how much it's going to cost me. Previous price was €17 for black bin and recycling every 6-8 weeks, we have a compost bin so no charge for that

LynnGrace wrote: »
    We are with Citybin. Even if we didn't put the bin out at all in the coming year, and kept it as an ornament :(, we would still be paying quite a bit more in the standing charge alone, than we paid previously for the year (annual charge plus lifts).

That should be illegal. So wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Got a mail from AES today for Kildare

From July 1st

Service Charge will be €90 per 6 months

General Waste €0.25 per KG

Recycling €0.00 per KG

Brown Bin €0.15 per KG

Glass €0.00 per KG

That service charge is pretty saucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

I've just moved in this week to a new rented property.. their is no bins as of yet as the landlord has said I can sort that myself when I'm ready..

I'm living in Dublin 11.. think the 3 companies around the area I can pick is Greyhound, Panda and City Bin.

So can anyone tell me who be the best/cheapest to sign up with? Alot in the area seem to have the red bins but I'm so confused with all these new prices etc

I suppose it is. It just sounded low for 5 people and all credit to them if that's the case.

Gonna have to start hanging wet nappies out to dry and scooping the contents of dirty ones into brown bin....
    The poop from babies and dogs can go into a wormery in the garden if you have one but might smell a bit.
    All bottles/glass jars go in a glass bin (classed as recycling so "free").

Don't compost anything. All food waste goes into the brown bin for collection. It is always way heavier than the refuse bin which is mainly plastic wrappings so pretty light. No nappies though anymore thankfully. I remember dragging out those bins with nappies from our twins...gawd that would have been costly.
    many places don't have such luxuries as organic or even glass bins, here in Carlow Town it is blue for recycling and black for general waste only, AES have a brown organic bin but no glass bin.
    most people will have bins weighing from 40kg twice a month to 70+kg twice a month paying 25-39cent per kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm on Killiney so we are already being ripped off. 65 euro a year, +3.20 a lift + 27.7C per kg.

Is that with Panda ?
    You aren't doing bad, it's going to be €86 a year + €3.20 a lift + 27.7c per kg in Fingal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Got a mail from AES today for Kildare

From July 1st

Service Charge will be €90 per 6 months

General Waste €0.25 per KG

Recycling €0.00 per KG

Brown Bin €0.15 per KG

Glass €0.00 per KG
    There's a second plan available in Kildare. The one you posted is standard and the other is basic. I posted it in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Advertisement