Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio 2016 Olympic Countdown Thread

• 16-06-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭

As we reach the 50 days to go milestone until the official kick-off to the Games of the XXXIst Olympiad in Rio, it's time to welcome back our Olympic Countdown thread to help build the excitement and momentum as we draw ever closer to the big event.

We also welcome back our Olympic Countdown Clock which consists of the numbers 1-50, which will in turn be shaded in day-by-day until each of the 5 coloured rings are depicted in their complete form at which point we will just be 1 day away from the Opening Ceremony.

This thread can be used to mark some milestones between now and the opening ceremony. The plan is that each day there we can report on the passing of big events such as the Irish delegation departing for the Games, the raising of the flag in the Olympic village, first international teams/athletes arriving to the Olympic village and much more. Each day the thread will be updated to report at least some news on how preparations are continuing to progress for the Games both with regards the Irish team and the Rio Olympic organisers.

At the end of the countdown period this thread will then give way to a Rio 2016 - Daily Diary Thread, similar to Dodge's thread from the Beijing and London Olympics in previous years. During the Games that thread can be used to update everyone on who is competing day by day as well as other things of interest including the posting of results and updates of the heat draws for the Irish athletes in swimming, athletics, boxing draw, badminton and so on as the Games progress.

Over the next while we can also introduce new threads to discuss general Olympic news, Irish team news and so on. This thread will be more basic in that it's more about ticking off milestones and posting progress reports on Olympic preparations.

So without further ado, let the countdown to the Games begin! :)

46---.29
    03--

38-43---30-33
    18-21---08-13
    05--

40-41
    28-31---20-23
    10-11

32----19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

50 days to go....

46---.29
    03--

38-43---30-33
    18-21---08-13
    05--

40-41
    28-31---20-23
    10-11

32----19

What better way to begin our countdown than with a look at three pieces of metal that every athlete wants to get around their neck at Rio 2016.
    The medal designs were revealed at a special presentation ceremony in Rio yesterday.

cde5847d-e5f8-4975-a441-1c70e8bcd430.jpeg

0c48dc04-8552-47b3-b190-e26dd0be6641.jpeg

The podium design was also revealed. Hopefully we'll see plenty of Irish athletes standing on these beautifully designed features....

dsc00530.jpg

And the uniforms of the medal presenters....

w04mtphc.jpg

A total of 2,488 medals have been produced (812 gold, 812 silver and 864 bronze). Let's hope some will be coming home to Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Dan man wrote: »
    ... (812 gold, 812 silver and 864 bronze)...

Is it just in boxing that both semi-finalists get a Bronze, or are there other events that do the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Is it just in boxing that both semi-finalists get a Bronze, or are there other events that do the same?

Wrestling, judo, taekwondo ( since 2008)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

feargale wrote: »
    Wrestling, judo, taekwondo ( since 2008)

That should make 865 bronze...13+14+18+8=53 extra bronze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I am excite. This thread being back means its nearly time.

Hype hype hype.

Can't possibly be as good as London though, can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Some tickets got delivered yesterday. The ones from dertours.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's good to be back!

In wrestling, judo and taekwondo it isn't the losing semi finalists that get bronze.

There's a repechage tournament for the last bronze medal. In taekwondo, everyone who loses to the 2 finalists goes into the repechage with the losing semi finalists having to win one match for a medal (the others have to win 2)

In Judo, the losing QF face in 1st round of repechage with the winners facing the losing SF for a medal

Wrestling is the same as Taekwondo with everyone who loses to the finalists in the repechage.

49 days to go....

46---.29
    03--

38-43---30-33
    18-21---08-13
    05--

40-41
    28-31---20-23
    10-11

32----19

With just 7 weeks to go to the Opening Ceremony of the Rio Olympics, today we take a look at the uniforms and sportswear of Team Ireland for these Games. The kit has been designed by New Balance and includes clothing for the Opening ceremony, medal ceremonies, leisure-wear for around the Olympic village and of course sporting competition. Several items have blue heavily featured on them, representing the presidential colour of the nation along with the traditional green white and orange.

?width=630&version=2809893

CkYKeuRWsAAsJCG.jpg:large

dublin-ireland-7-june-2016-badminton-player-chloe-magee-poses-for-a-picture-id538556104

1167879.jpg

1167871.jpg

?width=630&version=2809916

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Horrible looking kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Awful awful kit. How hard is it to design a simple green kit. Blue on the Irish gear? What next, purple on the Dutch kit. Too much hipster artistic nonsense these days. Keep it simple guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Sportsworld have sent details regarding their ticket collection office. A bit off the beaten track in Botafogo. Bit of a pain having to go there to collect tickets instead of having them delivered like Dertours and CoSport are doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 amironcarro

finbarrk wrote: »
    Sportsworld have sent details regarding their ticket collection office. A bit off the beaten track in Botafogo. Bit of a pain having to go there to collect tickets instead of having them delivered like Dertours and CoSport are doing.
    are you up for rio ?

I have 3 evening session tickets for athletics that I am selling. Sat 13, Mon 15, Tue 16. €97 for each, category D. PM me if interested.

And its on...

KevIRL wrote: »
    And its on...

Does anyone know what's going on with the BBC red button on Sky Ireland? I can't access it.

Does anyone know what's going on with the BBC red button on Sky Ireland? I can't access it.

Not sure as I don't have sky. But was reading the BBC site today and strangely enough they didn't mention sky in their list of interactive access

Not sure as I don't have sky. But was reading the BBC site today and strangely enough they didn't mention sky in their list of interactive access

Thanks, I got it tuned in now, phew! :)

BTW Dan, will there be the daily diary thread again this year? What about the stickied 'Irish in action' threads each day, both were v enjoyable and useful 4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭cletus

Anybody got a link to the 'RTE Rio 2016' app mentioned in the launch info for this years games. Checked the appstore, no sighn, unless I'm very bad at searching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You got a guide for sorting out BBC interactive on sky? Current plan is VPN into the iplayer but if i can get it via red button its much easier

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    You got a guide for sorting out BBC interactive on sky? Current plan is VPN into the iplayer but if i can get it via red button its much easier

I tuned the channels into my Sky using this guideline:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf

BTW Dan, will there be the daily diary thread again this year? What about the stickied 'Irish in action' threads each day, both were v enjoyable and useful 4 years ago.

I really wish I could have done this again this year, and had been planning it, but things just got away from me recently. I think we could definitely open the Daily Diary Thread again, I believe Dodge usually opens that thread. If not then I'll open it as it was a great thread last time to stay up to date with everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

cletus wrote: »
    Anybody got a link to the 'RTE Rio 2016' app mentioned in the launch info for this years games. Checked the appstore, no sighn, unless I'm very bad at searching

It's up there now. I downloaded and used it a bit last night while some of the soccer was on. Seemed to pretty ok but a little buggy. It looks like you will be able to access all the live broadcasts of every sport though which will be really handy.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/rte-olympics/id1110302945?mt=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I really wish I could have done this again this year, and had been planning it, but things just got away from me recently. I think we could definitely open the Daily Diary Thread again, I believe Dodge usually opens that thread. If not then I'll open it as it was a great thread last time to stay up to date with everything.

A world record today in the men's individual archery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Enjoying the BBC's countdown programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

BBC always gloss over controversy- RTÉ goes straight for the jugular

"Brazil is a mess". Haha good man Jerry. Talking about the president of Brazil up for trial after the Games.

RTÉ's continuity good as ever I see, dead space between links

• Advertisement

Gone to BBC for the actual opening ceremony
    We're 99th in the procession

Advertisement