Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Fishing Waterford City

• 16-06-2016 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

Local from Waterford here. Having been fishing as long as I can remember so am familiar with the county. I am now in my early 20s and the one fish the still alludes me is a Bass.

I'm not sure if its my techniques or where I'm fishing from (various locations across dunmore/tramore and between) but I'm hoping someone on here might be able to give me a few tips so I can finally catch one of these tricky operators.

Any info at all would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you know known bass spots, bait fish.
    If not, go to all the places where rocks meet sand, and where fresh water enters the salt and spin. You will catch a mixed bag including some bass, and as time passes the best times of the tide for each location will be revealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I did not know there were freshwater Bass in (assuming) Ireland. Do you have Largemouth, Smallmouth or Spotted bass?

I fished the amateur division of The Bassmasters for many years here in the US.

I would suggest you target structure and changes in depth levels in the .5 meter to 4 meter depths, early in the morning, as Bass related to these and are most actively foraging in the early morning. Structure can be rocks, edges of vegetation, debris, and basically anything else where a bass can hide. Depth changes involve a drop-off as small as .5 meter.

As for what to use, I would suggest the artificial bait that is almost foolproof here in the states. It is generically called a ‘Senko.’ You rig it with a large hook and no weight. You work it slowly with twitches while reeling it in. There are many youtube videos that show how to fish the Senko.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

We do not have freshwater bass here in Ireland. They are talking about the Atlantic sea bass. Coolwings is just talking about in the tide where freshwater enters the sea not in actual freshwater. I think you may have been a bit misinformed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Bass Bass Bass - is there a better sport fish??

Not sure about waterford but if you would travel to wexford i'd pm you a few spots - I only bait fish though so I would be giving you beach marks not rock/spinning marks. But once you get a good bass, your done with most other types of fishing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

ardinn wrote: »
    Bass Bass Bass - is there a better sport fish!
    Smooth hounds are a much better fighting fish, pollack and wrasse are also serious scrappers if fished on the righ gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

.red. wrote: »
    Smooth hounds are a much better fighting fish, pollack and wrasse are also serious scrappers if fished on the righ gear.

I beg to differ - sizewise I have never see a smoothie slam me like a good bass - have only caught both species to 7lbs - but the winner is clearly Bass for me no doubt about it!!

Advertisement