Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Shooting with a 20 bore.

• 16-06-2016 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Any help appreciated. ie choke size needed,cartridge loads etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Sorry no-one got back to you lad, here's my $0.02...

Are you shooting trap or skeet? Standard distances?

Generally speaking, learn to shoot well and the chokes won't matter as much. Too many people fuss about chokes when the fundamental problem is they need more lead down-range.

What chokes have you? What shotgun have you?

You may wish to start with a choke in the middle, like improved or modified. But again, if you're not breaking the clay, you're probably low, behind, and not swinging through.

As for cartridges, boxes labeled "Target" loads are what you want.

Other stuff like dove or quail would be grand. Just no buckshot, bb's, magnum, and the like. Check with the range for their rules and regs.

I use different types of 20ga and shop by price. I recently bought some 20GA 2 3/4 7/8 #8. That's 20gauge, 2 3/4 inch length hull, 7/8oz shot per cartridge, and #8 sized lead shot. Probably about 1200fps muzzle speed.

I think shot size # from 7 1/2 to 9 is grand for trap and skeet.

If you are new to the sport try a few different boxes and see which patterns best in your shotgun.

In the beginning, buy the cheapest stuff, get to the range, and make some noise. With the few bob you save, take a lesson or two. This isn't precision ammo and you're not in the Olympics yet!

Slan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I have been clay shooting with my 20 bore
    I bought a Browning Gold Semi auto and it has a modified cylinder choke.It is a hunting gun but I need to try it out on clay's first.There isa lot of holes in the pattern at 40 yds. I am using 28 gram loads. I should be able to hit clay's so?Or maybe I should get a different choke to tighten the pattern. The gun handles r really well.And fits me perfectly.

It is a hunting gun...

What do you hunt with it? How far are you shots? If you need some distance in your shots, a full, extra full, or turkey choke could help you.
    I am using 28 gram loads. I should be able to hit clay's so?

Y'up. I'm only using 25g so you have plenty of lead.
    Or maybe I should get a different choke to tighten the pattern.

Nope! If you are doing the standard trap shooting. If skeet is your game, a skeet choke would be nice.

What other chokes did the shotgun come with?

I have a bunch of chokes for my Citori and find that I only really use my skeet and extra full chokes.

Have you access to a thrower? I think the best idea is to have a lesson, buy a case of ammo, some clays, and shoot the lot.

Once you start breaking them, your brain will be the idea of lead. It still surprises me how much lead I need on some skeet courses.

I only have the 1 choke. I am hoping to shoot woodcock with it.I am shooting down the line with it.

I didn't expect too many replies.

• Advertisement

I only have the 1 choke. I am hoping to shoot woodcock with it.I am shooting down the line with it.

One choke? You'll want to pick up a few more so.

Maybe a cylinder, or skeet, for the close up stuff and a full for those fast fliers at distance.

When you do get some chokes, try and get the extended chokes so that you don't have to bother with a choke wrench.

I think they are twice the price of the normal ones.But you are correct they would be very handy.
    Should I go for the full or the extra full.What is a skeet choke Cylinder/quarter choke?Invector??????

Correction.They are 6 dearer.

There was an error rendering this BBCode post

Agree with you there .And the next topic cartridge prices and load variety .Who has the best variety.

• Advertisement

Agree with you there .And the next topic cartridge prices and load variety .Who has the best variety.

Sorry to say, I cannot help on price. Perhaps, one of the lads on the site can jump in.

Best advice: get to the local sioppa and see what they have.

Chances are they'll have what you need in stock. You're looking for common stuff, nothing exotic.

Give us an idea what area you're in and maybe someone could advise a local sioppa.

For the 20ga, 2 3/4 length shell, look for 7/8 or 1oz (weight of shot) in 7 1/2 - 9 (size of shot pellets).

Try and shoot with someone who can tell you if you were over, under, behind, or what-not.

Make notes as to what loads you were shooting, the conditions, how well you shot, and any other data that will help you determine the best load for your shooting.

Advertisement