Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going touring on my road bike [Wheels]

Options
  • 16-06-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

In two weeks I plan on leaving Dublin to cycle the Wild Atlantic Way. It will be my first bicycle touring trip, and this is the first of many question I'll be asking in the next fortnight...

My current wheels are Shimano R501's. When I purchsed them, it seemed they were too narrow for my frame by a couple mm, but when I tightened them in place the frame was slightly squeezed into place. I've been commuting on them since September.

Do you think these wheels would be ok to take an additional ~12kg? Do I need heavier duty touring wheels? Does it matter that I had to pinch the frame slightly to fit them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

An additional 12kg on top of how many kg?

I've ridden long distance on 20-spoke Mavic Aksiums with around >115kg all up weight including rider, bike and luggage* without problem. If they're straight and true with no loose spokes you'll probably be fine.

*No discussion on percentages will be entered into...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

12kg is CC touring territory - and the WAW isn't completely the arse end of no-where, loads of bike shops in the bigger towns, I'd be happy to tour on them.

The slight pinch in is normal - does it on all my bikes (steel, alu and carbon).

Maybe get some 28c's on there to smooth things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

cdaly_ wrote: »
    An additional 12kg on top of how many kg?

Good point. I don't know exactly, but I'm fairly light at only 68kg so that should help.
    saccades wrote: »
    12kg is CC touring territory - and the WAW isn't completely the arse end of no-where, loads of bike shops in the bigger towns, I'd be happy to tour on them.

The slight pinch in is normal - does it on all my bikes (steel, alu and carbon).

What is CC touring territory? I'm not hip with the cycle jive.

I already have my eye on this set of tyres. I'll be going 28c since that's the biggest my wheels will allow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Pompous wrote: »
    Good point. I don't know exactly, but I'm fairly light at only 68kg so that should help.

What is CC touring territory? I'm not hip with the cycle jive.

I already have my eye on this set of tyres. I'll be going 28c since that's the biggest my wheels will allow.

Credit Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are you taking a tent or using accommodation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Stay away from Marathon plus for touring. Heavy, rigid, slow tyres. Look for something with a more supple casing for a much more comfortable ride. Also find out what pressure to put in them; a softer tyre will be more comfortable and not really any slower but too soft will get you pinch flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

saccades wrote: »

Good advice here.

I have toured Spain/Portugal carrying about 10kgs but I always use 36 spoke Open pro rims. Howwever in Ireland even if things go wrong you are not far from help whereas abroad I wouldn't chance low spoke count wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Stay away from Marathon plus for touring. Heavy, rigid, slow tyres. Look for something with a more supple casing for a much more comfortable ride. Also find out what pressure to put in them; a softer tyre will be more comfortable and not really any slower but too soft will get you pinch flats.

I already ordered the Marathons from wiggle. What does 'a more supple casing' mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I already ordered the Marathons from wiggle. What does 'a more supple casing' mean?

Marathon Plus has stiff sidewalls from the additional protection against thorns. Stiff sidewalls make for poorer ride quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement