Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Group C - Ukraine vs N.I. 5 pm, TV3 & ITV

1235»

Comments

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Commentator suggested the player would take it into the corner to run down time, but no, he ****ing went for it. I applaud that kind of attitude. The Republic wouldn't be sitting on one point if they had the same attitude.

Well down NI..from a southie.

In fairness it was late enough that Ukraine wouldn't have had time for an attack. 30 seconds earlier and he's straight into the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No they won't go to 2nd tonight, goes head to head. But they would be in charge for 2nd if Germany beat all 3 teams and they all beat each other and finish on 3 points

Ah some bollox in work just told me it was GD and not head to head. Pity, I feel GD is more reflective of the total performances but I suppose teams either already through or out in the last game will play weakened teams so I guess it makes sense.
    Mcginn of all people, the east Tyrone man from an area similar to south armagh

What part of Tyrone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Well done NI and the other MON,throughly deserved. The REP must win a game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Well I would hardly think they have ulster banners waving in donaghmore right now in support of him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Realistically we aren't going to win a game with our mentality and lack of skill, we might not lose any though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Jayop wrote: »
    Ah some bollox in work just told me it was GD and not head to head. Pity, I feel GD is more reflective of the total performances but I suppose teams either already through or out in the last game will play weakened teams so I guess it makes sense.

What part of Tyrone?

GD is how the 3rd place table is sorted as well teams don't play each other in that.

Irelands group also have the advantage in that in playing the last group games so teams will know what they need to do for qualification

Well I would hardly think they have ulster banners waving in donaghmore right now in support of him

My local in Strabane (a hardline nationalist place if ever there was) are displaying both NI and Ireland flags and have promotions on during the games of both teams. The patrons are pretty much 100% nationalist but they are mostly also shouting for NI for the first time ever this year.

Progress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would hardly call myself a NI supporter. But all I can say is fair play to them. Lots of guts major upset if I was betting Ukraine would have been the banker.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Yikes. Norn Iron are going to get more points than us by the looks of things. Fair play to them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Portugal/Iceland aside, that's the first real shock of the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

monkey9 wrote: »

Catch yourself on wee lad,

Norn Irl will win the Euros so they will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

keano_afc wrote: »
    Portugal/Iceland aside, that's the first real shock of the tournament.

I'd say Hungary beating Austria was a bigger shock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

We will rue the Sweden game, typical Ireland, **** mentality giving too much respect to a team pretty much equal to ourselves(and based on first half we were better than) Very poor if we go out with just one point. MON's campaign would have to be scrutinized and rightly so. Qualification is not the prize it once was with 24 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Mec27 wrote: »
    We will rue the Sweden game, typical Ireland, **** mentality giving too much respect to a team pretty much equal to ourselves(and based on first half we were better than) Very poor if we go out with just one point. MON's campaign would have to be scrutinized and rightly so. Qualification is not the prize it once was with 24 teams.

Yep a win against sweden and we would basically be through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why does Northern Ireland win now seem to automatically mean that Ireland won't win any games?

Today's result is irrelevant as far as our next two games are.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ok, anyone want to explain how this game has affected our chances of getting out of the group? I hadn't realised it did at all :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

As sure lets right off the republic after one game that they drew.

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ok, anyone want to explain how this game has affected our chances of getting out of the group? I hadn't realised it did at all :o

They are better placed in the teams that are currently third place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mickeroo wrote: »

4 of the 6 third place teams go through. We want potential 3rd place teams having as few points as possible with a crap goal difference to increase our chances should we finish 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

adox wrote: »
    4 of the 6 third place teams go through. We want potential 3rd place teams having as few points as possible with a crap goal difference to increase our chances should we finish 3rd.

Other groups will do less, so don't worry about it, either way we have to get results and look after our own game.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

John Giles talks some sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'd say Hungary beating Austria was a bigger shock.

So.... the third big upset then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

awec wrote: »
    John Giles talks some sh!te.

What's he saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,591 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Massive result for the north, best of luck to them in their final game. Its going to be very tough

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What's he saying?

Was saying he watched some of the match and thought we were no better than the Poland game and he was surprised at the result when told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

awec wrote: »
    Was saying he watched some of the match and thought we were no better than the Poland game and he was surprised at the result when told.

He'll be no loss when he finishes up after a few weeks.

Another Northern Ireland fan has died in France tonight

http://news.sky.com/story/1713105/northern-ireland-fan-dies-at-euros-in-france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

A Northern Ireland fan died at the match. In his sixties, he had a heart attack. Horrible horrible news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very sad news about the N Ireland fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's terrible to hear.

Very sad to hear. No-one should have to go to a match and not come home. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

So sad to hear that a Northern Ireland fan lost his life today :(

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Congrats to NI on a fantastic victory win today. Would a point against the Germans be enough to see them through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Berserker wrote: »
    Congrats to NI on a fantastic victory win today. Would a point against the Germans be enough to see them through?

Yes, because Ukraine are already eliminated (H2H rule), and unlikely that five third-placers would finish on four points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

brilliant win for NI and well deserved too wasn't like they were lucky and hung on, they deserved it

showed much too much respect for Poland hoped they don't regret it

They're almost certain of being through even on 3 points with a decent GD I'd have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

They're almost certain of being through even on 3 points with a decent GD I'd have thought.

GD might not be so decent after they play the Germans though... Saying that, they could easily sneak a draw after watching Germany playing today.

• Advertisement

Depends - Romania and Wales/Slovakia could both finish on four, along with F3, so our group and Spain's appear to be NI's best hope of progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

3 points will probably be enough in most groups to get to the last 16 but if England and Slovakia draw and Russia beats Wales then England will finish on 5 and top the group, Wales, Russia and Slovakia will all finish on 4. I'm not quite sure at the moment who would finish bottom of the group but whoever does will be going home after picking up 4 points.
    edit: just saw above post.

3 points will probably be enough in most groups to get to the last 16 but if England and Slovakia draw and Russia beats Wales then England will finish on 5 and top the group, Wales, Russia and Slovakia will all finish on 4. I'm not quite sure at the moment who would finish bottom of the group but whoever does will be going home after picking up 4 points.

If three teams on same points, it reverts to GD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

If three teams on same points, it reverts to GD.
    Isn't it head to head results first and if that can't separate them then it comes down to GD? This group from Euro 2004 is worth a look and shows how complicated it can get.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2004_Group_C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

At the moment, we're "in" the top 4 best third places. "In" not meaning all that much though as we're level in joint third with Sweden and Iceland/Portugal. NI and Slovakia top with 3pts, Romania bottom on a point but a -1 goal difference.
    Simply put, obviously a win Saturday would guarantee progress, a draw (and thus another point) would at least strengthen our position in that table. All to become a lot clearer after the second round group games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

SantryRed wrote: »
    GD might not be so decent after they play the Germans though... Saying that, they could easily sneak a draw after watching Germany playing today.

could easily beat them if they show the same belief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No. In that scenario Wales would finish on 3pts and bottom of the table having won one game and lost 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Isn't it head to head results first and if that can't separate them then it comes down to GD? This group from Euro 2004 is worth a look and shows how complicated it can get.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2004_Group_C

In case of a tiebreaker between 2 or more teams the criteria are in order:

1. Higher number of points from the games played between these teams ;
    2. Best goal difference from the games played between these teams ;
    3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between these teams ;

4. If 2 or more teams are still level, criteria 1 to 3 apply again between these teams.

If some teams are still level, the following criteria aply:

5. Best goal difference in all group matches ;
    6. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches ;

7. If only two teams have the same number of points, and they are tied according to criteria 1–6 after having met in the last round of the group stage, their ranking is determined by a penalty shoot-out.
    This criterion is not used if more than two teams have the same number of points. It goes:
    8. Fair play conduct ;
    9. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system.

---

The four best third-placed teams are determined according to the following criteria:

1. Higher number of points obtained;
    2. Superior goal difference;
    3. Higher number of goals scored;
    4. Fair play conduct;
    5. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

iroced wrote: »
    In case of a tiebreaker between 2 or more teams the criteria are in order:

1. Higher number of points from the games played between these teams ;
    2. Best goal difference from the games played between these teams ;
    3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between these teams ;

4. If 2 or more teams are still level, criteria 1 to 3 apply again between these teams.

If some teams are still level, the following criteria aply:

5. Best goal difference in all group matches ;
    6. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches ;

7. If only two teams have the same number of points, and they are tied according to criteria 1–6 after having met in the last round of the group stage, their ranking is determined by a penalty shoot-out.
    This criterion is not used if more than two teams have the same number of points. It goes:
    8. Fair play conduct ;
    9. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system.

---

The four best third-placed teams are determined according to the following criteria:

1. Higher number of points obtained;
    2. Superior goal difference;
    3. Higher number of goals scored;
    4. Fair play conduct;
    5. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system.

I know it's ridiculosuly unlikely to come down to it but surely that 5th decider is very unfair? Imagine getting knocked out solely because the other team is ranked higher than you?

I reckon 3 points and a 0 GD will be enough to get through in 3rd. There'll be loads of teams on 3 points finishing third I'd say but teams that do it via 3 draws will likely be better off than those that achieve it via a win and 2 defeats.

I'd be surprised if we drew our next two and got knocked out to be honest. Hopefully the Germans beat Northern Ireland by at least two in that last game anyways.

As it stands right now Irelands group will not be in the best 3rd spots but Sweden is 3rd in the group and Ireland is 2nd

Advertisement