Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying old STI shifter, is it good idea?

Options
  • 16-06-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my comuter steel framed roadie...well first of all i am bit fed up downtube shifters + in traffic is not the safest thing there...

so i was looking after some deal you know dont wanna go to something expensive but in the end i am finding that whatever you buy it wont be nowhere near like 50e...new or old. so i was wondering have anyone some experiences with old sti shimano shifters like ultegra 6500 or dura ace 7700 ?? is it worth buying that stuff will it be somehow reliabe for comute use of course?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

killswitx wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to upgrade my comuter steel framed roadie...well first of all i am bit fed up downtube shifters + in traffic is not the safest thing there...

so i was looking after some deal you know dont wanna go to something expensive but in the end i am finding that whatever you buy it wont be nowhere near like 50e...new or old. so i was wondering have anyone some experiences with old sti shimano shifters like ultegra 6500 or dura ace 7700 ?? is it worth buying that stuff will it be somehow reliabe for comute use of course?

Thanks

the two levers you mentioned were some of shimanos best..
    japanese made and well made..
    however..
    your nearly as far on buying say new sora ( if its 9 speed you need) at least theyll be warranted and to be fair they work well for the money..
    claris is 8 speed and similar..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 killswitx

the reason i dont want sora (which i even have) they dont fit *by the looks* on an old steel framer...thus i want old shifters + dont want thumb shifters like on sora.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have a set of these:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/derailleurs/SHIST-6600.jpg

10sp Shifters.

Left one is off a triple chainset, but works perfectly with double chainsets.

€50

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I have a set of these:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/derailleurs/SHIST-6600.jpg

10sp Shifters.

Left one is off a triple chainset, but works perfectly with double chainsets.

€50

Ultegra 6600 is my favourite groupset to date. Its precise, fast and butterly smooth. Got anodised one on my Look. Would never sell it. Hoods suits me perfect as well.
    Best from older grouppos imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

killswitx wrote: »
    the reason i dont want sora (which i even have) they dont fit *by the looks* on an old steel framer...thus i want old shifters + dont want thumb shifters like on sora.

The current Sora has the twin levers like Tiagra/105/ Ultegra etc

You should be able to pick up a set of Tiagra 4600 levers (10spd) for in or around your budget. I bought two split new (removed from a new bike) on eBay for 55 delivered (from France) last year

• Advertisement
Advertisement