Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Overtime

Options
  • 16-06-2016 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was asked how I felt about working overtime, I was literally asked whether I wanted to or not. I declined and I can tell they are not happy about it. Are employers within their rights to be kicking up a fuss if somebody declines an offer of overtime.

Just asking your experiences with this, I've never done overtime time before and I can't at the moment. I'm also afraid it will become a regular thing.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

I take it this is the same place you've been working a while now? Hope everything's been going well for you there and they can see you're doing well. I guess so, if they're offering paid overtime now.

They don't have a right to kick up a fuss exactly, but they don't have to be happy with you turning it down either, depending on a few things.

If your contract has something included along the lines of flexibility to meet business requirements, it's not wise to just give a flat out refusal. By all means, tell them it doesn't suit right now, but try to suggest a way you could help them meet the business needs.

Try to think about what it is they need and then match that with your own needs in turn. If they can see you're a flexible guy who gets the work done and helps out when they're stuck, which they're happy to pay for, there's a much greater chance they'll be flexible with you when you need it some other time.

It's hard to say, without knowing the ins and outs of the job you actually do and what restrictions you have on availability etc. But do try to work with them if you can. Make it clear you can't commit to doing it regularly, but that you know they're under pressure now and you can help, at least a bit.

It's important to understand that, especially in smaller companies, small things you do for them when they're stuck can have a massive impact on how they view you and treat you in turn. You don't have to do it, but if you do, there's a good chance they'll do something for you when you need it. You can offer to help on your own terms, as long as it'll work for them also, such as offering to work overtime now with the overtime rate as extra holiday time (if time off is more important than the money) or that they'll send you on a course you want to do, etc.

Advertisement