Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Intrumentation apprenticeship

Options
  • 16-06-2016 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going for an assessment for above job with a pharmaceutical company tomorrow. Career change but would like a trade/skill. Can anyone tell me what form this assessment will take. What kind of work would be involved and rate of pay and time period involved. Any info would be a help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Discussing rates of pay from particular companies is against the forum charter. However there is nothing stopping other posters sending you rates of pay by PM.

An electrical and instrumentation craftsperson generally has greater earning potential than an electrician and are more employable as they are more versatile. Typically E & I work is in the industrial sector which enjoys higher rates of pay and is more technically challenging.

From a personal perspective I have found this work more interesting.

I have no idea what the assessment would involve but understanding he difference between analog and digital I/O and a little about the principles of instrument calibration couldn't hurt. Google is you friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I'm 29 and in my second year e&i with a chemical company, having decided to go the apprenticeship path after doing adiploma in the area by night, when looking for a career change. Pay terms are listed on the FAS website, however in my experience apprentices can earn up to about 40% more per phase if with the right company, and taking benefits and bonuses in to account.

As for the assessment it is just going to be a standard aptitude test, with a few sections. 1- maths 2- shapes and spatial awareness 3- mechanical reasoning , would be my guess and what I did in my test I think. You left it a bit late looking for advice, you can get so much better over the course of a few days with practice shaking off the rust. Maybe download some apps there this morning to get the brain in gear. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Cheers yeah I did some research last night to brush up on stuff. As you said it was mechanical reasoning which was straight forward enough. Hopefully on to interview stage now.

Advertisement