Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats your wife riding?? 😋

Options
  • 16-06-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Long story short, I commute on my fixed gear, and happy enough on it on decent ish spins. May look at a road bike in the future. And a ss 29er and a steel tourer....etc

If you have a couple of bikes in the shed, what bike does your better half use, have you ever gone touring together? Or is she a serious racer.

My good lady loves Dutch style bikes but may be thinking about a bike for longer journeys so this has started a conversation of what her n+1 is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

My OH rides a felt cafe 24, not a bad bike at all but we're restoring an old tandem over the summer. Dawes seem to have a few on their website which don't seem too pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

My OH rides a felt cafe 24, not a bad bike at all but we're restoring an old tandem over the summer. Dawes seem to have a few on their website which don't seem too pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

Oh we have talked about tandems but I feel that's a purchase after the kids have moved out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Best ride there is -> me :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Dirk or Koutobia ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

omri wrote: »
    Best ride there is -> me :o

That took longer than I though lt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

omri wrote: »
    Best ride there is -> me
    he's telling the truth, trust me on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Giant Avail 3. Very light, available in XS, nimble and fast. Good looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alek wrote: »
    Giant Liv 3. Very light, available in XS, nimble and fast. Good looks.

Nimble and fast are sizes now?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Spesh Allez 54cm as she is quite tall 5`8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sin_26 wrote: »
    Spesh Allez 54cm as she is quite tall 5`8
    my wife had great fun while buying a bike, due to her being patronised about needing woman's geometry. she's a couple of inches taller than me - about 5'11".
    in a bike shop in town (not saying where, but very near the camden de luxe) a shop assistant constantly addressed me, not her, about what size she needed, saying 'women have skinny little shoulders', while she was standing beside him and clearly overtopping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

due to her being patronised about needing woman's geometry

On the other hand I had some hard time finding a road bike with the correct standover height for my OH... most manufacturer's smallest women-specific frames were still too large.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

my wife had great fun while buying a bike, due to her being patronised about needing woman's geometry. she's a couple of inches taller than me - about 5'11".
    in a bike shop in town (not saying where, but very near the camden de luxe) a shop assistant constantly addressed me, not her, about what size she needed, saying 'women have skinny little shoulders', while she was standing beside him and clearly overtopping him.

Women have relatively longer legs and shorter torsos. They have wider hips and narrower shoulders.
    A 5ft 11 woman needs different geometry than a 5ft 11 man so the shop assistant was absolutely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Every time I give that shop another go I regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Every time I give that shop another go I regret it

Ditto.

They weren't impressed when my OH referred to the heavy cruisers they were trying to sell her 'Bitch bikes'.

We currently 'share' a Genesis CDF. I've not ridden it in a while...

RobFowl wrote: »
    the shop assistant was absolutely correct.
    the largest women's frame they stocked was clearly too small for her. he was far more interested in selling her a women's geometry frame which was tiny for her, than engaging in the notion that a man's frame in the correct size (which she pointed out she'd already ridden and found more comfortable) was more suitable.

to be fair though, it was his inability to talk to her which was more offputting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 breakingaway80

Every time I give that shop another go I regret it...:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Wife's Giant Escape has been commandeered by eldest daughter, so once we clear out the older kids bikes there'll be room for a new bike for here. I suspect she'd like something like the Giant Flourish or similar, though I'd love her to get something more sporty and get into some leisure cycling. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Wifey has a Liv Alight with a baby seat on the back, Liv Enchant for our eldest daughter who has just started cycling. Aforementioned baby has a Little Big bike in storage (it's her Santa present... shhhhhh).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Garmin vectored Cervelo R5.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Not wife, but my OH has a Liv Envie (AKA Giant Propel WSD) as her good bike, and a Beone Storm for her winter bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My wife started with something firm and rigid between her legs (Jaysus, I hope she's never on boards!!!:D)......

.....she bought a Pashley which she bought more on looks than speed and it was great for around town.

Not great for longer spins, so she traded for a Giant FCR, which she uses along with my Boardman Team Carbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

I don't have a wife, but I could be your wife.

I have a Trek Allant, with compulsory wicker basket for goin down da shops to buy da baguettes. And a cube axial wls gtc pro for looking the part when I wear my sexy bibbed shorts.

Both lovely bikes for their respective purposes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We go touring every year in France. We have steel touring bikes with racks on the front and back which allows us to carry four panniers on each bike and a tent.

It's a great holiday. Cycling until early afternoon, usually followed by a refreshing dip in the sea or a pool, then some chilling out in the shade before heading out for a well-earned dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My old Ridley Gladius with a mix of 105 and Ultegra. She's complaining that the ride is a bit harsh so I fitted GP 4 Seasons in 28mm but she's still not happy. Now it's the saddle so I may have to part with my Brook B17. I have to be very patient as I'm trying to get her more interested. :)

(She's now talking about one of those yokes with a wicker basket! A line will have to be drawn.)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

A nice 1980s peugeot - she wanted something that looked good, took panniers and mudguards but wasn't quite good looking enough to immediately stand out when locked up in the city centre...it's working out well so far

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Commuting: Dawes Dutchess
    Riding: Trek Lexa with Sora

A Carerra hybrid which is now 8 years old and going strong. Nice (non wicker) basket on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    A Carerra hybrid which is now 8 years old and going strong. Nice (non wicker) basket on it.

I am really looking forward to the day that she decides that she wants another bike. It's not quite ironic, but I'm going to go with that!

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I am really looking forward to the day that she decides that she wants another bike. It's not quite ironic, but I'm going to go with that!

Seeing as how I used her BTW without telling her last year that might be a while away ;)

Advertisement