Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor digital TV signal

• 16-06-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Out Digital TV has deteriorated recently. The signal quality is down below 40%.

Any suggestions where I should start looking for the cause? I checked the cables in the attic and the connections are all tight. I also got up on the roof and the aerial looked OK.

Any common causes of poor digital signals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Satellite dish or terrestrial aerial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Its a digital aerial.

I have a satellite for the UK channels..their fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Richie Blackmor

Since the advent of digital terrestrial tv, my neighbour's trees have taken on a new significance. Each spring as the leaves pop out, my digital signal deteriorates, especially when wet and when the wind blows from a certain direction, bending the trees further into the line-of-sight.
    Any wet trees deflecting your incoming signal?

(I suppose this should really be in the Terrestrial section)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Its a digital aerial.

No....you have an aerial. There's no such thing as a digital aerial....that's just salesman speak to make you pay more money than you need to.

Anyhow...do you happen to know which transmitter you're receiving signal from?

Did the signal disimprove immediately...or was it gradual? If it was immediate, you might just check with RTE to see if the power is reduced on your transmitter (maybe for engineering works).

Otherwise, you need to check that the antenna is pointing in the right direction and that it hasnt just been blown around a bit....

Next step would be to check the connection at the antenna is secure and dry.....and see if the coax is secured properly to stop it from flapping around in the wind...also check where it enters the house....if it travels unprotected under the edge of a roof tile or slate it may be damaged and letting in water...If you have more than one tv and reception has deteriorated on both, I'd be inclined to start at the antenna and work my way down, checking each joint and checking the coax to ensure that it isnt damaged.

Let us know how you get on...

exaisle wrote: »
    No....you have an aerial. There's no such thing as a digital aerial....that's just salesman speak to make you pay more money than you need to.

Anyhow...do you happen to know which transmitter you're receiving signal from?

Did the signal disimprove immediately...or was it gradual? If it was immediate, you might just check with RTE to see if the power is reduced on your transmitter (maybe for engineering works).

Otherwise, you need to check that the antenna is pointing in the right direction and that it hasnt just been blown around a bit....

Next step would be to check the connection at the antenna is secure and dry.....and see if the coax is secured properly to stop it from flapping around in the wind...also check where it enters the house....if it travels unprotected under the edge of a roof tile or slate it may be damaged and letting in water...If you have more than one tv and reception has deteriorated on both, I'd be inclined to start at the antenna and work my way down, checking each joint and checking the coax to ensure that it isnt damaged.

Let us know how you get on...

Thanks for that. The Aerial is pointing towards Howth. I'm of the opinion that the aerial has moved. In "The Good Old Days" you simply moved the Aerial while someone else watched the TV and told you when the picture was Ok. Is it the same process now or do I need some kind of Signal strength meter? (similar to a Satellite sinal finder)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'm of the opinion that the aerial has moved. In "The Good Old Days" you simply moved the Aerial while someone else watched the TV and told you when the picture was Ok. Is it the same process now or do I need some kind of Signal strength meter? (similar to a Satellite sinal finder)?

Which transmitter does the coverage checker recommend for your location - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

The receiver's internal meter will do the same job, move the aerial and wait until the signal quality/strength meter responds, do this until you get the best reading for both. Signal quality is the important indication.

Saorview.ie recommends Kippure, which is due south! interesting...i'll have a go at re positioning the aerial this weekend. thanks for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I think this thread needs to be in the terrestrial section rather than satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The Aerial is pointing towards Howth.

Howth????

If you're somewhere in North or North County Dublin, you possibly have a choice of Kippure or Three Rock....is it possible that it's pointing at Three Rock?

Roughly whereabouts are you??

exaisle wrote: »
    Howth????

If you're somewhere in North or North County Dublin, you possibly have a choice of Kippure or Three Rock....is it possible that it's pointing at Three Rock?

Roughly whereabouts are you??

Yeah its possible...i've now moved the aerial and its pointing almost due south( Towards Kippure i assume) Signal quality is above 90% and signal strength 80%. Result! thanks for all the advise.. much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement