Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damaged chainset changing pedals?

Options
  • 16-06-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi, i changed my pedals recently and had a bit of a job getting the old ones off (used a hammer against the pedal spanner to loosen). now the new pedals are hard to thread and they're not sitting fully straight in the crank arm. is it safe to assume that i have damaged the cranks and need to buy a new chainset or am i missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

gmk77 wrote: »
    hi, i changed my pedals recently and had a bit of a job getting the old ones off (used a hammer against the pedal spanner to loosen). now the new pedals are hard to thread and they're not sitting fully straight in the crank arm. is it safe to assume that i have damaged the cranks and need to buy a new chainset or am i missing something?

You probably damaged the threads in the crank arms by not threading the pedals correctly. Might try in LBS to have the re-threaded but if this will salvage the cranksets I am not sure. You always should thread in pedals by hand (if not sure if they went in correctly - they usually will go in pretty much all the way without any extra force, and then tighten them with the wrench).

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Sounds like ya made sh*t of the threads. Can be retreaded sometimes, can also have a the threads on the crankarm drilled out and a coil inserted. Talk to a decent LBS and they should be able to sort it for ya.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Threads can always be fixed with a helicoil. You simply drill out the old damaged thread, tap the crank arm, loctite and screw in the helicoil.

It's probably not worth buying the helicoil kit yourself. Get a shop to do it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one question would be how easily the new pedals went in - and if they come out easily. if you can get them out, is there visible damage to the threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gmk77

went to the bike shop today and they confirmed that i had damaged the threads. they were able to re-thread but still damaged so not quite as good as new. oh well it will do for now. lesson learnt i suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement