Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tams fencing grant

• 16-06-2016 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just wondering could anyone post a link for the scheme
    Is there much red tape
    Is it all certified stakes and wire that has to be used.
    I think the deadline is next week????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

I applied for it on Agfood earlier this week as I have to get 1200 meters done this year and want to get my application in before the June 24th deadline to get in this batch.

Here is the link to start:

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2016/june/title,97682,en.html

It didn't say anything about certified stakes and wire, or maybe I missed it.

My teagasc advisor told me that I cannot start the work until I get official approval from the DAFM and applications made under TAMS II in Oct/Nov still havn't got appoval yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

arctictree wrote: »
    I applied for it on Agfood earlier this week as I have to get 1200 meters done this year and want to get my application in before the June 24th deadline to get in this batch.

Here is the link to start:

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2016/june/title,97682,en.html

It didn't say anything about certified stakes and wire, or maybe I missed it.

My teagasc advisor told me that I cannot start the work until I get official approval from the DAFM and applications made under TAMS II in Oct/Nov still havn't got appoval yet!

I can only speak for the old TAMS scheme, but the req then were :

Posts have be certified, and I think PDM are the only crowd that do em

You'll need a cert with the posts when you buy, that lists the 'batch' number, and there will be a sticker on the bale of posts, with the batch number, these must correspond.
    Same craic for the strainers...

Sheep wire must be 8/80/15

The posts are expensive, maybe around 6euro each (for 6ft 5inch) But, even if not getting the TAMS grant, are well worth it in my opinion, as anything else is nearly rotten the day after you put it into the ground...

Oh - I got a 10% penalty for my fencing, as for some posts, there were over the 5 metre apart mark. For maybe 600m of fencing, they measured it all, and measured the distance between posts maybe 20 - 30 times... So keep an eye on your measurements when putting it up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I can only speak for the old TAMS scheme, but the req then were :

Posts have be certified, and I think PDM are the only crowd that do em

You'll need a cert with the posts when you buy, that lists the 'batch' number, and there will be a sticker on the bale of posts, with the batch number, these must correspond.
    Same craic for the strainers...

Sheep wire must be 8/80/15

The posts are expensive, maybe around 6euro each (for 6ft 5inch) But, even if not getting the TAMS grant, are well worth it in my opinion, as anything else is nearly rotten the day after you put it into the ground...

Oh - I got a 10% penalty for my fencing, as for some posts, there were over the 5 metre apart mark. For maybe 600m of fencing, they measured it all, and measured the distance between posts maybe 20 - 30 times... So keep an eye on your measurements when putting it up...

theres so many rocks under the ground with us that you've to choose if you want to keep straight or move a foot here or there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

what is wrong with 8-80-30 ? sheep don't get their heads stuck in it

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    what is wrong with 8-80-30 ? sheep don't get their heads stuck in it

I thought it had to be 8-80-15 in the last TAMS...
    Why so, I dunno...

And I stand to be corrected as to whether that's the case for the current scheme...

I have never seen any other heavy wire than 8-80-15 sold tho, but I wouldn't be a big sheep area too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Can I hijack this for a quick question on TAMS?

I'm confused by the whole thing, in terms of who is eligible to apply. We farm about 100 pure bred sheep (part time obviously), own all our own land, have no SFP and no formal ag education. Is there any point in me looking and reading further into any of the schemes or am I out before I start?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nagshead

Being part time and not having a qualification in agriculture i dont think will stop you availing of the grant, but not making a sfp application even if you have no entitlements to claim might not allow you to claim any other sort of grants etc , but please dont quote me on this i may be wrong, its all very confusing sometimes, spending an hour on the department of ag website or talking with an agricultural advisor will get you up to speed.

anyone know how to get a hold of the application form? Not registered for Agfood.ie and everything i see is pointing towards an online only process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

ganmo wrote: »
    anyone know how to get a hold of the application form? Not registered for Agfood.ie and everything i see is pointing towards an online only process

Go to your local AG Consultant, that's what we're doing.
    Hopefully won't take long to get approval

Has to be done for Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

I am doing an online application.

Before you put in the address of the land where you are fencing it looks for a site identifier? Whats that?

Also will a copy of the map for the BPS with the areas to fence marked suffice as a field plan?

• Advertisement

Oldira wrote: »
    I am doing an online application.

Before you put in the address of the land where you are fencing it looks for a site identifier? Whats that?

Also will a copy of the map for the BPS with the areas to fence marked suffice as a field plan?

I think its just for you to identify the plot. I put a '1' in there. I didn't put a field plan in my application.

Anyone know what happens now? Do we just wait?

Anyone know what happens now? Do we just wait?

I think when I put the application in the last 2 times, it took months to get approval. Off the top of my head, maybe up to 6 months...

fencing in the snow it is so!

Lads, I need to get my fencing done now. Anyone know what my options are here? Should I just forget about the grant and suck it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Lads, I need to get my fencing done now. Anyone know what my options are here? Should I just forget about the grant and suck it up?

Did you make any calls to your adviser or department? I was nrant to call my adviser today but didn't get round to it. Will do it tomorrow

Did you make any calls to your adviser or department? I was nrant to call my adviser today but didn't get round to it. Will do it tomorrow

Think they've over sold, the "don't need sheep to qualify" is now "need sheep on farm in 2016".
    Will they find the additional elsewhere or some of us small guys not qualify?
    Could do with getting it done soon, when there is bright evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi All. Has anyone applied for the sheep fencing grant. All the fences around our farm need to be replaced and I would like to put sheep wire around it so that I can graze land with sheep over the winter. I got the reference cost of €5.34 per meter and calculated how many meters i need (boundary fence only) Just wondering when I enter the proposed investment on agfood do i just multiply meters required by grant allowance ie €5.34 or do i need to find out what the total investment will be? for example might work out to be €7 per meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hobs

Hi all. Applying for fencing grant at moment.
    Have about 2500 mts to do as only in sheep few years. I know I have 2 years from approval to complete fencing for grant.
    My question is will I still get grant aided on1500mts erected if that's all I can afford to do.
    I also like to thank all posters to sheep forum it's been a great help for me reading all info.

Hobs wrote: »
    Hi all. Applying for fencing grant at moment.
    Have about 2500 mts to do as only in sheep few years. I know I have 2 years from approval to complete fencing for grant.
    My question is will I still get grant aided on1500mts erected if that's all I can afford to do.
    I also like to thank all posters to sheep forum it's been a great help for me reading all info.

Yeah, I think I got approval for 1000m before and only put up 600m in the end.
    Sent off forms on 600m and got paid on that...

I'd guess though you can only submit once - so you can't get paid on 1500 and then try to get paid on 1000m months later... But - not sure on this...

• Advertisement

Going back and forth with the department now on maps. Even though I sent them the maps with the fences and gates clearly marked, they want distances written on the maps and the gates numbered. I actually just realized that I need to put in for an extra 200M but I think I am too late.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi All. Has anyone applied for the sheep fencing grant. All the fences around our farm need to be replaced and I would like to put sheep wire around it so that I can graze land with sheep over the winter. I got the reference cost of €5.34 per meter and calculated how many meters i need (boundary fence only) Just wondering when I enter the proposed investment on agfood do i just multiply meters required by grant allowance ie €5.34 or do i need to find out what the total investment will be? for example might work out to be €7 per meter?

It's my understanding that you'll be paid on the €5.34 reference cost. So if you had, say 1000m, your proposed investment would be €5340. If it cost more than this, you'd still only get 40% (or 60%) of €5340. If it cost less, you'd get 40%/60% of the lower cost.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Heard a rumour that you need 40+ sheep to get the Tams2 grant even though at time of application you didn't need to have any sheep.
    Does anyone know on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Farrell wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that you need 40+ sheep to get the Tams2 grant even though at time of application you didn't need to have any sheep.
    Does anyone know on this?

You need 40 plus sheep before you look to make a payment claim. So if you don't have them now you will need to have them before submitting you tams claim form.

cattle man wrote: »
    You need 40 plus sheep before you look to make a payment claim. So if you don't have them now you will need to have them before submitting you tams claim form.

I guess it'd have to be on census to count

Just checked my application now and its status is 'Ready for LO checking'. Anyone any idea what that means?!

Just checked my application now and its status is 'Ready for LO checking'. Anyone any idea what that means?!
    Think that means in Local DVO now checking for errors

Lads, maybe I'm expecting too much from the department here but I applied in June and still have not got the grant yet. I'm a new entrant to farming but is it always like this?

Lads, maybe I'm expecting too much from the department here but I applied in June and still have not got the grant yet. I'm a new entrant to farming but is it always like this?

Yeah - from memory it took 6+ months to get approval when I applied as well, and that was the first tranche, so a few years ago now...

So much so, that I was half sorry I applied, cos the place I wanted to fence was a place I had reclaimed and I had to hold on for months to get the nod for fencing... So my reseeding slipped from Spring to Autumn cos of the grant... :mad:

• Advertisement

Still waiting also.
    Had an inspection last week, have to get a clarification from dept of environment due to a national monument in a neighbours field!!!!

It probably makes more sense to be thinking about a stretch that you might want fenced in a couple of years time!

It probably makes more sense to be thinking about a stretch that you might want fenced in a couple of years time!

I was half sorry there that I didnt apply for this very reason...

But then, I have put that field into GLAS now, so I have no need to fence it for ~5 years... So just as happy I didn't apply to be honest...

Its hard to plan for all scenarios too ;)

which is why i want to get this lot done so i can apply for the next lot of fencing

Has anyone actually got paid from this? Its over a year now and my application says 'Ready for LO checking' on agfood. You wouldn't want to have sheep breaking out!

ganmo wrote: »
    which is why i want to get this lot done so i can apply for the next lot of fencing

I see on the main forum, that the tams scheme is open now again...

Does this include sheep fencing? I had a very quick look at the dept website, but I didn't see anything about sheep fencing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭gazahayes

I see on the main forum, that the tams scheme is open now again...

Does this include sheep fencing? I had a very quick look at the dept website, but I didn't see anything about sheep fencing?

It's included in it hope to apply for it here soon have about a kilometre to do

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Anyone know the qualifying criteria for the sheep fencing grant i.e. age, farm income, training, etc.

Advertisement