Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Engravers

Options
  • 16-06-2016 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Are there any gun engravers in Ireland ? I have made a few new screws for an old shotgun, and i'd like them engraved to match the rest of the action.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you can find a decent engraver, ring ahead so they crap themselves when you turn up with the action of the gun, and show them what you want they can engrave the screws? Doesn't necessarily have to be someone that works only with firearms.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm saying this just to be an absolute dick and point out how dumbass our firearms laws are, but is leaving screws from a firearm with a jewellers to be engraved against the law seeing as you are leaving them with part of a firearm? Technically they would be in possession of an unlicenced firearm? Is this correct?

Technically, possibly, yes.

However i replace two action screws recently with hex head bolts from a hardware shop. So is the shop an unregistered RFD, or are they only component parts once fitted to the rifle, and until such a time as they are they are simply screws?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Lads ye either look for fault in everything firearms related or are tin foil hat wearing nut jobs :).

Do you seriously think a judge in the country would convict anyone for possession of two screws. I know the firearms act is a joke but the above "discussion" takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

JEWELLER JAILED FOR ILLEGAL FIREARMS POSSESSION

Local Dublin Jeweller John Doe was arrested this evening for unlawful possession of 2 firearms, with intent to engrave. The firearms taken were 4mm wide and 6mm long and were referred to as "screws" by Mr Doe. It is expected that Mr Doe will be thrown into jail for the rest of his days with all the other hardened criminals, such as those who didn't pay their TV license, those who refused to pay for water and the unclean individuals who never wrap their used chewing gum in the wrapper before placing it in the bin. More to come on the 10 O clock news.

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »
    Lads ye either look for fault in everything firearms related or are tin foil hat wearing nut jobs :).
    Its not paranoia if they're really out to get ya. :D
    Do you seriously think a judge in the country would convict anyone for possession of two screws. I know the firearms act is a joke but the above "discussion" takes the biscuit.
    The thought entered my head when i first posted, but i didn't say it because, well frankly its ludicrous. However Battlecorp has a point, and incase the OP doesn't know its worth pointing out. What anyone does after that is their business.

Also when we have people before the courts for having inert ammo displays you can understand the cause for concern.

Also it's a discussion forum. The idea is to discuss, talk, debate and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Cass wrote: »

Also when we have people before the courts for having inert ammo displays you can understand the cause for concern.

Jaysus, I better get rid of that 22 shell casing on the shelf.

Cass wrote: »

When you quote this and you do often you should also be stating how many cases as you make it sound like its standard practice. I wouldn't say it's happened 5 times in the history of the state. Feel free to quote the cases to prove this figure wrong.
    You can also be sure that the person charged with this wasn't any ordinary Joe soap.
    There are multiple flaws in the firearms act but this place is ridiculous for scaremongering. I would say 99% of all firearms owners go their lifetime with out ever coming foul of any of the many sections in the various acts.

Its not scaremongering. Its information. Its also free. So the OP can read it and decide what to do.

Also if your suggestion to people is to do as they want regardless of the law simply because they may never get caught then i'd suggest you consider your post content before posting.

You're right about the number of people going to court for the bullet board being small. However it's only one example. Regardless of the numbers, does anyone want to be the first. Take barrel length. If someone gets brought to court and they finally make a decision how many will loose their guns because of one case. Zeroing outside a range is another one. Illegal, yet people do it all time. However if a Garda decides to prosecute you could loose your guns or be fined or both. But your thought is this is scaremongering and peopleshoul go on about their business eithe rignoring it or completely unaware of the consequences?

This thread was running just fine till you decided to make a big ordeal about a small issue. Once again turning a simply matter into a full on argument and yet adding nothing productive.

So unless you've something more constructive to add, drop it.

Its not scaremongering. Its information. Its also free. So the OP can read it and decide what to do.

Relax the mod hat for a minute we're having a discussion after all :).
    I'd just prefer that when stuff is quoted its quoted in context and not implied that there's people all over the country been hauled before the courts on a regular basis for possession of shell casings.

Also if your suggestion to people is to do as they want regardless of the law simply because they may never get caught then i'd suggest you consider your post content before posting.

I've no need to consider my post content as nowhere in my post have I suggested people do as they want regardless of the law.

You complain about the site and the scaremongering. However this thread was running just fine till you decided to make a big ordeal about a small issue. Once again turning a simply matter into a full on argument and yet adding nothing productive.

I think this site is a great resource for shooters and I myself have learned plenty of useful information from it. (I've even got a bit off you)
    I wouldn't say highlighting the fact that a suggestion that two screws could constitute possession of an illegally held firearm as been ridiculous is making a big ordeal.
    I'd say making the suggestion is making a big ordeal about nothing.

So unless you've something more
    constructive to add, drop it.

I was trying to play the (sane) yin to the (paranoid) yang running in the thread, if that's not constructive we'll have to agree to disagree. ;)

• Advertisement

I just see you updated your post. Id your original post saved to reply yesterday.

Relax the mod hat for a minute we're having a discussion after all :).
    What Mod Hat? No mod quotes/tags on my post.
    I'd just prefer that when stuff is quoted its quoted in context and not implied that there's people all over the country been hauled before the courts on a regular basis for possession of shell casings.
    I never said people hauled up all over the country. Read the post again. I said when you have people bring brought to court. I made no mention of amount or frequency, merely that it happens.
    I've no need to consider my post content as nowhere in my post have I suggested people do as they want regardless of the law.
    Never said you did. Read the post again. I said if your suggestion, based on the context that you think informing people of all aspects of an issue, is stupid even though it may/does break the firearms act then to reconsider your post content.
    I think this site is a great resource for shooters and I myself have learned plenty of useful information from it. (I've even got a bit off you)
    That information only comes through discussion. To ridicule the content of posts (by calling them stupid, tin foil hat worthy, etc.) belittles the point and whether you, i or anyone else thinks its stupid or not is irrelevant. Tell people all the information and let them decide how they want to proceed.
    I wouldn't say highlighting the fact that a suggestion that two screws could constitute possession of an illegally held firearm as been ridiculous is making a big ordeal.
    I'd say making the suggestion is making a big ordeal about nothing.
    This is why i've said what i've said. You may think its stupid, but its still the law, and could at the very most technical end of the spectrum, be a violation. It's why it was mentioned. If the OP wants to ignore it that is their choice, if they choose to find an RFD that does engraving to be safe that is their choice too. However they have all the info they need to make an informed decision.

Your way it's tell them nothing, and the thoughts of informing them about any possible consequences is stupid, tin foil hat stuff, etc.
    I was trying to play the (sane) yin to the (paranoid) yang running in the thread, if that's not constructive we'll have to agree to disagree. ;)
    You are blaming the thread/forum for this. It's not. It's the firearms law. You said yourself it's crazy at times, and i agree. However stupid it may be it's till the law.
    1. As i said above two people brought to court for bullet displays.
    2. A friend of mine who accidentally put a couple of 40 cal shells into his box when cleaning up after a day at the range lost his guns for nearly two years.
    3. Zeroing being illegal outside a range. People do it, but legally, and technically you can be prosecuted.
    They are only three examples of Gods knows how many stupid things we have to deal with i relation to firearms. Do you think people should be told about them and then let make their own decision or don't bother to tell them because chances are they'll never be done for it?
    I just see you updated your post.
    Yeah last night. Added a little more detail. Just use the multi-quote function. Makes it easier for ya to answer specific posts, and points within a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Any way , when you have placed the two screws in a plain brown envelope in the pocket of your belted mackintosh and entered the jewellers through a side door ,make sure he is an accomplished engraver . In the U.S. a good engraver engraves an animal head to hoof on the action of a firearm - an average engraver hides the animal's feet in grass as they appear to be the hardest part to replicate accurately !! So set your standard high !

Advertisement