Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohermore - age of houses?

Options
  • 16-06-2016 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Out of interest, I'm just wondering if anyone knows when the houses along Bohermore were built?

A neighbour told me that some of them are 300 years old, but I find that hard to believe...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Out of interest, I'm just wondering if anyone knows when the houses along Bohermore were built?

A neighbour told me that some of them are 300 years old, but I find that hard to believe...

No idea, cant imagine houses in Bohermore being that old, buildings on Prospect Hill possibly, maybe your other thread will garner an answer, or start a third one, might have more luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

No idea, cant imagine houses in Bohermore being that old, buildings on Prospect Hill possibly, maybe your other thread will garner an answer, or start a third one, might have more luck.

My first thread didn't post properly (or so it seemed), hence the duplication.

Goodnight and god bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Maybe the teeeeny little houses down that little lane just before Tonery's on the left as you're heading out of town might be a few hundred years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I don't know about Bohermore but I have always been interested in how and when the city developed into suburbs. There is a lovely aerial photo of the hospital and environs taken perhaps in the 1950s which shows barren land all over Rahoon. Anyone know a good source which covers this development city wide. The land around Tirellan must have been, for example, just that in the 50s. What were the first stroking outwards from the city? Claddagh of course had always been there. Taylors Hill? Lower Salthill. St Marys Road? Shantalla?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The little houseens on Prospect Hill are there a long long time. I don't know about 300 years though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A tiny bit of googling has returned this:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/55500/one-hundred-years-of-st-bridgets-terrace
    There can be few streets in this country that are as well documented as St Bridget’s Terrace. It was built 100 years ago on St Bridget’s Hill. The hill overlooked the town and was of great strategic and military importance. Both the Cromwellian and Williamite armies camped there when attacking Galway. During the 17th century, the hill was known as ‘Gottyganavy’. In 1710 the name had evolved to ‘Knocknegany’ and on Logan’s 1818 map of the city, it is depicted as Cnoc na Gainimhe (the Hill of Sand, or Sandpit Hill ).

Up to the mid 19th century, deep wells within the city walls provided water to the population. These were located in convenient places and were protected by Government statute, which ensured a clean water supply. In the 18th century sanitary conditions began to deteriorate, so in 1868 large reservoirs were built where St Bridget’s Terrace is today, thus giving the city running water for the first time. There were a lot of leakage problems with these reservoirs and they were eventually replaced by the waterworks at Terryland.

On July 26 1910, the Urban Council proposed building a scheme of houses on the reservoir site. Construction was completed in 1912 at an estimated cost of £6,512. The terrace was named after St Bridget and was in the shape of a T, with 20 houses on the main terrace, and four houses on each side of it on Prospect Hill. All of the houses had half doors. The street resembled a building site for a while, and the residents had to walk on timber planks. A number of the occupants worked on the Galway-Clifden railway. The rent was 3/- per week per house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Thanks for your replies, and thanks Das Kitty - that's some great info.

My house is next to Tonery's but I doubt it's more than 70/80 years old. Though I'd say the walls could still tell a few stories...!

Advertisement