Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you complain to a hairdresser?

Options
  • 16-06-2016 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I got my hair restyled a couple of weeks ago my usual hairdresser was on maternity leave so I trued a different salon. My hair had gotten very blonde and she suggested toning it down a bit and putting in a few highlights which I agreed to. It ended up brown with a few blonde highlights...so 2 weeks later it's gone very ginger at the roots and the rest has washed out back to my original blonde! The highlights she put in are about an inch away from my scalp qnd look like they were done months ago and have grown out.

The cut was meant to be a short bob but she put in so many layers it kinda stands out from my head and at the back it's standing out a full inch from my head with all the layers if that makes sense.

I bumped into my usual hairdresser who kindly offered to fix it by cutting it shorter to get rid of the layers and adding highlights.

As it's faded so much in less than 2 weeks is it reasonable to ask for my money back for the colour would you think? I don't mind paying for the cut and styling as its probably my fault for not explaining properly but it was quite expensive and now I've to pay again to fix it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't see the harm in asking. Usually salons have some sort of guarantee about the color, especially if it was supposed to be permanent.

You don't have anything to lose by asking, OP. And since it's not your usual salon and you're unlikely to go back, you won't have the awkwardness of facing them again if things get tricky.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've gone back, after an experience like yours. My blonde highlights had gone really brassy, and I went to a new salon to get them fixed and brightened. Whatever toner she used left me with mousey brown hair :mad:. In my case, I rang 2 days later to say I wasn't happy with it, and she did her best to remove the toner (for free). It wasn't perfect, but I was glad I went back and she handled it really professionally.

I'd recommend saying it to the salon, especially if it has faded to such a degree. I doubt they'd refund you, but they might re-do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

If you were bleached blonde and a darker tint applied, your hair could be quite porous from the bleach and so any colour will wash out more quickly. A demi is better than a permanent colour in this case.
    Also, I'm guessing you're not using professional (salon) shampoo? If you use the cheaper high street brands, they tend to contain a higher proportion of cheaper detergents that will help to strip colour out quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I can't see who else you'd complain to about a problem with your hair. Wouldn't you complain to your GP if a medication you were prescribed had unpleasant side effects? I'd expect my tech support clients to come back to me and say if what we did to their computer didn't fix the issue or caused other issues. Professionals want to make sure the job is done properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

My wife does all my styling. I haven't complained yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Absolutely do complain. You paid a lot of money for the cut and colour so you should get what you paid for and it doesn't sound like you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    If you were bleached blonde and a darker tint applied, your hair could be quite porous from the bleach and so any colour will wash out more quickly. A demi is better than a permanent colour in this case.
    Also, I'm guessing you're not using professional (salon) shampoo? If you use the cheaper high street brands, they tend to contain a higher proportion of cheaper detergents that will help to strip colour out quite quickly.

You think it's reasonable to wash through in 2 weeks? Also if that's the case shouldn't the stylist have known all this and said so or used a colour that wouldn't partially wash out leaving ginger tinge.

Edited to add my shampoo is paraben and sulphate free.

Advertisement