Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options
  • 16-06-2016 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about the Volvo Ocean Race recently and how great 2009 was and 2012 was just epic. Do you think would Galway ever bid for the Volvo Ocean Race again? I would love to see it come back to Galway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I absolutely agree they were great times in the city. I have a lot of good memories of both those summers.

Right now I'd say the city planners are focused on this Galway 2020 initiative. So I'd imagine they will be aiming for a similar atmosphere for that if all goes to plan. I have no idea how regular the race is but I doubt we would be applying before then again anyway.

Were there not a huge amount of people who were left unpaid after the 2012 Ocean Race?
    Can't see Galway applying to host it again for quite a while.

Not just that, but wasn't the 2012 Ocean Race severely affected by the weather? I remember a good portion of the time it being here being washed out, pretty much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And the traffic, don't forget the traffic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Depends. Will they be actually paying their debts to businesses/performers this time round? Or will they have the hand out looking for the government to bail them out, like they wanted last time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I was thinking about the Volvo Ocean Race recently and how great 2009 was and 2012 was just epic. Do you think would Galway ever bid for the Volvo Ocean Race again? I would love to see it come back to Galway.

Not a chance

Not just that, but wasn't the 2012 Ocean Race severely affected by the weather? I remember a good portion of the time it being here being washed out, pretty much.

I'm not sure if washed out is a fair call. It rained some of the time, and the festival area setup in the Swamp suffered because of it, but that was down to bad planning.
    They couldn't have expected the weather to be as good as in 2009. That was sensational.
    The swamp is also a bad place for anything in the rain.

Anyway, yes I think the debts are the main thing that will stop it coming to Galway for a long time again.
    I think it's probably a good thing too.
    If it came to Galway too often, it would lose it's mass appeal. 2029 might be a good time to try and host something again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

.... 2029 might be a good time to try and host something again
    Are we not bidding for the 2028 Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

2009 was great but from what I recall 2012 was a bit of a disaster. The organizers really screwed things up.

Advertisement