Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving early

• 16-06-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭

Is there many people in your centres that leave early and did any of ye leave early. Couple of hardy boys left half way through Irish . one lad spent only 20 minutes on cspe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭adamob544

Definitely , ive left irish maths science religion :P . And out of like 100 there was only about 10 left in the cspe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Is there many people in your centres that leave early and did any of ye leave early. Couple of hardy boys left half way through Irish . one lad spent only 20 minutes on cspe

In all of my exams, I left at 20 minutes early.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Left after 30 minutes in CSPE, the rest i just left once i had it finished and checked over a few times, for things like business and geography if i had time left i would do an extra question or two before leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

You can't leave in the first hour or the last ten minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can't leave in the first hour or the last ten minutes.

*back in my day*

The minimum time was 30 minutes.

Don't be too focused on the coming and going of others.

In fairness cspe tends to be a subject people get out of quick enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My JC was during the World Cup 2002, I legged it from CSPE as soon as the 30 minutes were up, straight to the nearest pub to watch our match Vs Saudi Arabia I think it was.

As above, don't worry about others and when they leave.

*back in my day*

The rules were read out to us, it still is that you cant leave within the first 30 minutes, dont know how the lads above got out after twenty minutes, but then again it was cspe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sirboby wrote: »
    The rules were read out to us, it still is that you cant leave within the first 30 minutes, dont know how the lads above got out after twenty minutes, but then again it was cspe.

The rules still apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭adamob544

*back in my day*

Don't be too focused on the coming and going of others.

In fairness cspe tends to be a subject people get out of quick enough too.

I donno how people get out of cspe quick haha I finished it with like 5 minutes left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

adamob544 wrote: »
    I donno how people get out of cspe quick haha I finished it with like 5 minutes left

I think most people who leave after 30 minutes expecting to do well will have a bit of a shock on results day

• Advertisement

emersyn wrote: »
    I think most people who leave after 30 minutes expecting to do well will have a bit of a shock on results day

What about me? 15 minutes before 1 and a half hours was up :rolleyes:

either that or they dont care about cspe :P ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What about me? 15 minutes before 1 and a half hours was up :rolleyes:

More people in the world than just you ;)

More people in the world than just you ;)

That makes no sense to my question. I said that because you saw my comments before of how I don't care at all about CSPE but I didn't leave so early after the exam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The length allowed for the exam is worked out on the slowest writer of 'average' ability. Of course some people finish early. There will always be some people who try to be as quick as they can but run out of time. Being finished early is not necessarily a sign of doing better or worse than others.

There are also the people wo do not bother trying at all, leave shortly after the 30 minutes is up, then come results day say things like 'The teacher/school was crap', 'The correcting was brutal', 'It's only the Junior', 'It doesn't matter anyway'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭smartboyz

some hardboy left 10 mins after the listening was done in french

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

spurious wrote: »
    The length allowed for the exam is worked out on the slowest writer of 'average' ability.

I'm kind of surprised to hear this actually. I never felt that any of my Junior or Leaving Cert exams were too short to get the work done, but many people (myself included) feel that there are some exams that are very tight for time e.g. LC English Paper II, Accounting and History & JC Geography, Religion and Technical Graphics. It would be extremely difficult to do those subjects to a high standard without using all of the allotted time.

Also, subjects like Maths and Accounting are difficult to get finished if you mess up a question or two, or if you get stuck, which I would imagine would happen to everyone except for the best candidates.

A97 wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised to hear this actually. I never felt that any of my Junior or Leaving Cert exams were too short to get the work done, but many people (myself included) feel that there are some exams that are very tight for time e.g. LC English Paper II, Accounting and History & JC Geography, Religion and Technical Graphics. It would be extremely difficult to do those subjects to a high standard without using all of the allotted time.

Also, subjects like Maths and Accounting are difficult to get finished if you mess up a question or two, or if you get stuck, which I would imagine would happen to everyone except for the best candidates.

I don't know about Leaving Cert., but the situation as I described is for the Junior. The Leaving is a very different exam, set according to different principles. The Junior is trying to get the best out of each candidate. The Leaving is much more discriminating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

spurious wrote: »
    I don't know about Leaving Cert., but the situation as I described is for the Junior. The Leaving is a very different exam, set according to different principles. The Junior is trying to get the best out of each candidate. The Leaving is much more discriminating.

Fair enough. By and large, getting the paper finished isn't as much of a problem at Junior Cert level although I would still argue that there are a couple of papers that would keep any candidate who is trying their best writing until pretty much the very end, particularly the ones I mentioned previously.

Advertisement