Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flags to support Northern Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

I would suggest you get a tricolour flag..starting with green to represent Ireland followed by white to represent peace and finally orange to represent..well orange brothers ........ ....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I don't support them but I'm hardly frothing at the mouth about them or generalizing about their supporters either.

Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jamescolm

I HAVE IT !
    Why don't you learn their National Anthem and sing it with gusto ?

That's if Gusto knows the words of course.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No such flag exists. This faux love-in from some Irish people in relation to the unionist football team is fairly tragic. Wish them well if you want, but what are you trying to prove by going overboard with it? To show us all how "matured" and "enlightened" you are?

:pac:

You're really gutted about this aren't you? I'm not sure if the lack of bile on here is what's tragic, or whether it's how upset you are that people have grown up and moved on. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

"how's about you lad"

this is all you need ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I support the Republic of Ireland soccer team and live in the South.
    let's say I also wanted to put a flag out to show support to the Northern Irish soccer team; what would be an appropriate flag? It needs to be palatable in the south and to nationalists in the North whilst not offensive to unionists.
    Is there such a flag? All suggestions welcome!
    My ideal scenario would be for Republic vs Northern final and then the best team on the day to win:-)

Look for the St Patrick's saltire

ie-stpat.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

In reply to the OP...

This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Ireland-Irish-Football-Association/dp/B00354T8TM

Still hoarse, what a night (gutted I wasn't in Lyon) but am already gearing up to put on some more green tomorrow and go down my local (with my Dub wife) to cheer on the Republic vs Belgium. Live and let live etc, at some point we have to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I propose a new, inclusive flag, to represent both sides of the divide, and to symbolise a lasting peace between them...

How about one that represents the Irish, Scottish and English origins of the people up there.

It could include the three flags of the patron saints of each country....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The one on a green background with the IFA logo would be the best, least controversial one.

True Story, in writing the post my phone either autocorrected or I typod IFA to IRA. A ban from here narrowly averted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If you absolutely have to show support for them hang an Ulster flag.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I'd imagine much would depend on where you live.

If you live say down here in South Kerry, you could hang the Union Jack and the Red hand flags one above the other and few would bat an eyelid, certainly not the thousands of British who live and holiday in the area. The only aggro you might get would be Kerry GAA fans thinking it was a reference to Tyrone football.

But if you live beside the Golden Miller, the reaction might be worse.

What is ridiculous is the way people feel the need to prescribe, as in "oh you should not display it, because things were terrible and that match in 1993". Everyone knows about the Troubles, everyone. For some it is still relevant, and proximity might be important in that context, for others less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Far be it from me to ever tell anyone who to be supporting or anything but I can't get my head around how any fan of the Republic could possibly support the North. I think to do so is to be very ignorant about what they represent. Look at the flags that hang at the matches, listen to the songs some of their supporters sing, listen to that anthem. Look at the way their former captain Neil Lennon was treated purely due to his religion.

Don't be fooled, a very large percentage of their fans absolutely despise us and what we represent. They hate the fact that players from their "country" can represent us if they so choose.

I'm not saying we should be openly hostile to them or anything but I certainly wouldn't ever support them in any match. In fairness their fans seems to be behaving well out in France and obviously the vast majority of them (like the majority of fans from any country) are just out there for the craic and to have a good time and support the team.

But as an Irishman I couldn't ever support them in any game, really hope they don't get through the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If a former IRA commander can be in attendance supporting the north against Germany than who are we to hold grudges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I know there's a history between both associations and I'm not clued into what it is. I was in a bar this evening in the South with 150 people passively/actively watching the NI v Ukraine game. When NI scored the place erupted.
    I'll give you this scenario. Lets say Republic get knocked out in group but NI get through? I think 95% of southerner s would like to see NI do as well as possible.
    I'm not trying to be a PC pontiff. I was just curious and wanted to draw on people's opinions.

You live in the south?

Like Cork, Kerry or somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Nice of a the real Irish support to educate us simpletons on why we aren't allowed to cheer for NI.

It's almost like the more mature of us know all this and are supporting them for other reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Far be it from me to ever tell anyone who to be supporting or anything but I can't get my head around how any fan of the Republic could possibly support the North. I think to do so is to be very ignorant about what they represent. Look at the flags that hang at the matches, listen to the songs some of their supporters sing, listen to that anthem. Look at the way their former captain Neil Lennon was treated purely due to his religion.

Don't be fooled, a very large percentage of their fans absolutely despise us and what we represent. They hate the fact that players from their "country" can represent us if they so choose.

I'm not saying we should be openly hostile to them or anything but I certainly wouldn't ever support them in any match. In fairness their fans seems to be behaving well out in France and obviously the vast majority of them (like the majority of fans from any country) are just out there for the craic and to have a good time and support the team.

But as an Irishman I couldn't ever support them in any game, really hope they don't get through the group.
    The only ignorant one here is you. You haven't a notion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yeah, this is the best option I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

The Ulster flag is offensive to me .Ulster represents 9 counties 3 which are in the republic.

Op why don't you get a four provinces flag like the one they use for the rugby?

Far be it from me to ever tell anyone who to be supporting or anything but I can't get my head around how any fan of the Republic could possibly support the North...

:D:D

Now, I'm not trying to tell you who to support, but how can you support that lot...

deadybai wrote: »
    The Ulster flag is offensive to me .Ulster represents 9 counties 3 which are in the republic.

And that is your prerogative.

But again, the issue is that people (not you) seem to prescribe that it should be offensive to others too.

I get the Ulster/NI dichotomy. The use by the latter as their symbol despite its proper association with the former doesn't bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ok, OP has plenty flags to choose from at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement