Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Zero Waste

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Supervalu would be worth targeting more than Dunnes I'd imagine. They already offer various oils in big containers. I presume you have to use their plastic tubs if you want to take some but perhaps they'd be open to people using their own containers.

I buy loose fruit and vegetables and I've stopped putting them in plastic bags. I bought a small carrot in M&S a couple of weeks ago and the woman serving me took out a plastic bag to put it in. She was a bit surprised when I said I didn't need it. An small attitude adjustment would decrease the amount of packaging we send to landfills hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Saw something a few years ago about a start-up company selling milk vending machines to the shops. Simple idea - you bring your own container and fill it up under the tap. Wish something had come of it; I'd much rather fill a single plastic bottle 150-odd times a year, and have no waste, than have to dispose of the same number of bottles, most of which probably never get recycled anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Supervalu would be worth targeting more than Dunnes I'd imagine. They already offer various oils in big containers. I presume you have to use their plastic tubs if you want to take some but perhaps they'd be open to people using their own containers.

I buy loose fruit and vegetables and I've stopped putting them in plastic bags. I bought a small carrot in M&S a couple of weeks ago and the woman serving me took out a plastic bag to put it in. She was a bit surprised when I said I didn't need it. An small attitude adjustment would decrease the amount of packaging we send to landfills hugely.

we really need to include manufacturers of all our materials and products in order to tackle this problem. our waste issues are not the sole responsibility of the end user!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    we really need to include manufacturers of all our materials and products in order to tackle this problem. our waste issues are not the sole responsibility of the end user!

I agree with you, but I was talking about loose fruit and vegetables, not packaged. When it comes to loose fruit and veg it is the responsibility of the consumer to reduce the amount of plastic bags they use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement