Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barna Recycling Galway - Price increases (blowing the rest out of the water)

Options
  • 17-06-2016 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I almost dared not ask, but I enquired with Barna yesterday as to what changes to their price structure customers might be getting lumped with as of July 1st - there has been nothing communicated so far (for Galway at least, that I have seen). We only signed up with them a matter of weeks ago having moved to Headford: €350 for the year, paid monthly via DD, for black & blue/green (recycling) bin - both bins collected together fortnightly.

Here's the response I got - I have sent a flabbergasted reply to ask if someone made an error in their resposne to me, but I fear that this is the hard truth......

"Yes, these changes will commence from the 1st July. You will receive a breakdown of the prices in the post in the coming days. In brief, there is going to be a service charge monthly of €87.50 and the waste bin will be charged by weight at €0.22 per kg, there will be no charge for recycling"

EIGHTY SEVEN FIFTY A MONTH!!! That's €1050 for the year, before a bin is even lifted - I mean, what do you even say to that?! It's outrageous! I don't know what we'll do - I've enquired in my reply as to what options customers will have to cancel their service on the back of this, and what cancellation fees they might apply. Probably something like €5k, sure why not, they'll do what they like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

tobdom wrote: »
    I almost dared not ask, but I enquired with Barna yesterday as to what changes to their price structure customers might be getting lumped with as of July 1st - there has been nothing communicated so far (for Galway at least, that I have seen). We only signed up with them a matter of weeks ago having moved to Headford: €350 for the year, paid monthly via DD, for black & blue/green (recycling) bin - both bins collected together fortnightly.

Here's the response I got - I have sent a flabbergasted reply to ask if someone made an error in their resposne to me, but I fear that this is the hard truth......

"Yes, these changes will commence from the 1st July. You will receive a breakdown of the prices in the post in the coming days. In brief, there is going to be a service charge monthly of €87.50 and the waste bin will be charged by weight at €0.22 per kg, there will be no charge for recycling"

EIGHTY SEVEN FIFTY A MONTH!!! That's €1050 for the year, before a bin is even lifted - I mean, what do you even say to that?! It's outrageous! I don't know what we'll do - I've enquired in my reply as to what options customers will have to cancel their service on the back of this, and what cancellation fees they might apply. Probably something like €5k, sure why not, they'll do what they like!

The drains, ditches and bog holes gonna be full of rubbish if thats the case!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That is most likely €8.75/month or €87.50/yearly

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

You would certainly like to think so, but the way it's written in the response it wouldn't be a simple typo - "there is going to be a service charge monthly of €87.50".

I've replied to ask if it's an error (or a joke) - waiting on a response. To be honest, if it was either of your suggested alternatives, I don't think they'd be likely to make up the difference compared to the current pricing structure, as in, it would not result in much on an increase from 350/year) for a lot of people.

I'll let you know what they say (and then I'll let my local representative know).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'd imagine it's €87.50 for six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tobdom

Well, I got a reply from Barna and thankfully, the original information given was way off the mark. I don't know if it was someone trying to be smart/malicious or what with the original response, but I'm just grateful that it's nothing like those charges that they quoted first......

Here's the updated response:

"Thanks for your email. This is incorrect, we will be charging €17 per month in service charges with a charge of €0.22 per kilo on the waste bin, there will be no charge on the recycling bin. We expect the average customer to continue to pay €175 for six months, having looked at the amount of waste you are producing you may actually save on your waste disposal. Apologies for the error on the previous message."

€17/month service charge
    €0.22c/kg black bin
    No charge by weight on recycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

They have an incredibly poor customer care service, that is unless you ring up to buy the service.

Advertisement