Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non electricians

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Risteard81 wrote: »
    As I have stated numerous times the courts will ultimately decide.

I think there is a miscommunication here. I agree with you that the court decides if it goes to court.
    The fact is that normally it does not go to court.
    This is where it all falls down in my opinion.
    My question remains: When it doesn't go to court who decides if a person is competent?
    Well I suppose where a recognised Apprenticeship has been served then there is a widely accepted view of competence but outside of that it can be much more subjective.

I think completing a recognised Apprenticeship really is the appropriate way. (As I said, though, it is the courts who will decide and not anyone else.)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Well I suppose where a recognised Apprenticeship has been served then there is a widely accepted view of competence but outside of that it can be much more subjective.

Agreed, but according to the law of the land this is not a requirement to be considered competent enough to carry out minor electrical works (which applies to the OPs original question)
    I think completing a recognised Apprenticeship really is the appropriate way.

Again I agree with you that this should be the case.
    However when it comes to minor electrical works CER have a different opinion.
    Link:
    http://www.cer.ie/docs/000161/cer13147-restricted-electrical-works-decision-paper.pdf
    As I said, though, it is the courts who will decide

Agreed, but only for those extreamly rare exceptions that go to court so for over 99% of instances this is simply not applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

2011 wrote: »
    Agreed, but according to the law of the land this is not a requirement to be considered competent enough to carry out minor electrical works (which applies to the OPs original question).

I thought the OP was asking about a workplace situation, in which case the employer has a duty to ensure his employees are competent. So it would be the employer who deems the person competent.

The person would not necessarily be an electrician but the employer would be expected to have some sort of proof that his employees had training, experience and knowledge.

But as with most things like this it's only when something goes wrong the questions get asked.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I thought the OP was asking about a workplace situation, in which case the employer has a duty to ensure his employees are competent. So it would be the employer who deems the person competent.

Yup, but what they do in terms of minor electrical works must comply with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I think the OP question relates specifically to his work and hence the 2013 regulations do not really apply as these really only apply to domestic property as far as I can see. I think the first reply was correct in that much of this could be covered by health and safety regulations. i.e the employers duty to do risk assessments and issue safety statements, and to ensure a safe working environment (by ensuring that employees are trained and competent at their jobs?). A competent safety officer is also supposed to be appointed, so I presume any concerns that an employee has should be taken up by same.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/health_and_safety/health_safety_work.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement