Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mountain bike

Options
  • 17-06-2016 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭

just brought my son a new bike, be honest done much about them,it came in box so had to set it up, it has shimino tourney derailer, with twist shift gears,now could not shift the gears at first then looked at a few videos to see how to a adjust, this did help working with a "click, bang" sort of way, you can change to high level (Harder to pedal) but changing it to low level(easier to pedal) is very stiff, my son is 12, i know he wont able to change to low level, i can just about manage it, any thing i can do to ease the stiffness in gears.

PS ,not sure if ive got the low/high the right way round in explaining above, hopefully you might get what im talking about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

bring it to a bike shop and ask them to check it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

ec18 wrote: »
    bring it to a bike shop and ask them to check it over?

No can do, even though its brand new in box it was a private sale.
    i say i have not set it up right.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

you can still take it to a shop and ask them to do a service on the gears with your specific issue described to them. any time i've attempted to tinker with gears on my own bikes i've only made the issue worse and ended up in the lbs anyway (but that's just me)

you can still take it to a shop and ask them to do a service on the gears with your specific issue described to them. any time i've attempted to tinker with gears on my own bikes i've only made the issue worse and ended up in the lbs anyway (but that's just me)

Your absolutely right ,think ill have to do that, no i too will only make it worst, they make it look so easy on utube!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    No can do, even though its brand new in box it was a private sale.
    i say i have not set it up right.

'A' shop. Not 'the' shop. Any local mechanic will be happy to set it up. Won't be expensive.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    'A' shop. Not 'the' shop. Any local mechanic will be happy to set it up. Won't be expensive.

What would be classed as not expensive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    What would be classed as not expensive ?

If you're in Dublin, something like this...

http://www.thespokesman.ie/?page_id=1090

endacl wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, something like this...

http://www.thespokesman.ie/?page_id=1090

Thats good, now to find someone in wexford.

Advertisement