Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noob with some questions

• 17-06-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Hello all!

I was an intermittent vaper up until recently when my mod and tank were destroyed in a toxic liquid. I've been eyeing up a SMOK TF-V8 tank and still deciding on the mod (previously a coolfire IV). I've also been looking in to getting 100ml+ container's of my favourites as I except to be ripping through vape like nobody's business.

Now finally onto my query. A friend has claimed that getting such a large tank and containers is pointless as they'll soon be band or heavily restricted.

I had asked a few vendors in cork and most just shrugged their shoulders saying "we'll have to wait and see" except for The one who laughed his ass off and claimed all the other vendor's were scaremongering although he did admit that liquids with a strength of 24mg or higher (if that's even possible) were in the crosshairs.

Is there substance to any of it or is it all just a load of bull?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The TF V8 looks a bit of a beast alright. That's what the call it, the beast haha.

Just out of curiosity, what tank were you using before hand?

I will say for the mod, don't get a coolfire for it. I have a newer coolfire, and a few Smok 25mm tanks, and there would be a big enough gap between the tank and mod. Also it won't be powerful enough unless you want to charge it a couple times a day at least.

There's plenty of mods to choose from.

Don't worry about the restrictions. Get your tank. And if worst comes to worst, order coils from China. They'll take a while to get here but they will be cheaper, so plan ahead. Smok tanks are incredibly well built.

Another tank option is the ijoy tornado nano. It has replaceable coils too.

Both the smok and ijoy have rebuildable decks too. So you can make your own. They are relatively easy to do, so that would negate any worries about getting coils due to restrictions.

Re juice, max allowed will be 20mg, and max size bottle will be 10ml. So its just a bit of an inconvenience. Again, orders from abroad would probably get through.

If you search on YouTube for

DJLSB vapes smok tf v8

And

DJLSB vapes ijoy tornado nano

He does incredibly detailed videos, and builds in them too so you can see how difficult it is to build your own. They are lengthy videos though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

Regarding juice, if you expect to rip through it, consider mixing your own. It's far cheaper, and if you shop around you can make 100ml of nice juice for less than a fiver.

There's an active DIY thread here that will help guide you through it - it's not difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Cheers for the clarification.

I had an aspire triton. It was great at the start for the first 2-3 weeks but after that it would leak like no tomorrow and I found that the openings on the replacement coils were nearly half the size of the original coil. For whatever reason I couldn't get it to perform like properly again so I'm kind of glad to be rid of it.

I picked the v8 for the reasons you mentioned plus the 6ml tank :D!

I plan on learning how to do RBA's while using the two factory coils that way I wont have to worry about hit and miss factory performance like I did with the triton.

Oh I hated the coolfire IV it was just like the triton great for the first few weeks then it was hit and miss and the time it took charge rapidly increased over a month or so from a little under 2hrs to well over 3 1/2hrs (waiting for green light to go off as per the manual)

I still haven't picked a mod yet but I would like it to be a smok and to be at least capable of producing 150watts.

I am thinking of placing an order with fasttech in the next two weeks and yes I am aware their free shipping is as slow as snail mail gets but I am sure they offer expedited shipping for an extra charge?

I've also read that ordering batteries from the far east in general is a bad idea? If so is there any European source that is reasonable and my last question is there a good eu based source for liquid? My absolute favourite is Cutwood 80%vg .6mg unicorn milk but I ain't paying $85+shipping from the states for a 120ml bottle

j26m wrote: »
    Regarding juice, if you expect to rip through it, consider mixing your own. It's far cheaper, and if you shop around you can make 100ml of nice juice for less than a fiver.

There's an active DIY thread here that will help guide you through it - it's not difficult.

I have been considering this on top of doing RBA's I'll give that thread a bash when I have the time to go start to finish cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

I got some batteries through fasttech, and it was fine (3 week delivery). The number of shipping options is limited though, and getting smaller, so buying local may be easier.

• Advertisement

Jsmurff wrote:
    I still haven't picked a mod yet but I would like it to be a smok and to be at least capable of producing 150watts.

Right, the two newest options are:

Smok h priv, it comes either on its own, or with a tank. Again, DJLSB reviews it, long video but he highly recommends it. Takes two batteries. Up to 220w

Next is an offshoot of smok, called Koopor. They are made by smok, but designed by koopor, like Lexus is to Toyota if you will. Koopor Primus is new, takes three batteries. Up to 300w. DJLSB reviews those too. Also there are other video reviews, he just goes into huge detail if that's your thing.

Re batteries, from the EU, NKON is a great website, cheap but charges a bit for delivery. If you are getting 4+ batteries order from NKON or maybe e-dym.

If only a couple, even though they are expensive, Irish vendors are probably the way to go.

You will need a charger too. About 15-20e.

Battery orders from fasttech are a bit over the place right now, so best avoid.

Batteries that would be good for the two mods I mentioned would be

Samsung 25r
    LG HE4
    Sony VTC4 or VTC5 or VTC5A.

j26m wrote: »
    I got some batteries through fasttech, and it was fine (3 week delivery). The number of shipping options is limited though, and getting smaller, so buying local may be easier.

Yeah I figured as much 18650's aren't too expensive and I already have a universal charger

moleyv wrote: »
    Right, the two newest options are:

Smok h priv, it comes either on its own, or with a tank. Again, DJLSB reviews it, long video but he highly recommends it. Takes two batteries. Up to 220w

Next is an offshoot of smok, called Koopor. They are made by smok, but designed by koopor, like Lexus is to Toyota if you will. Koopor Primus is new, takes three batteries. Up to 300w. DJLSB reviews those too. Also there are other video reviews, he just goes into huge detail if that's your thing.

Re batteries, from the EU, NKON is a great website, cheap but charges a bit for delivery. If you are getting 4+ batteries order from NKON or maybe e-dym.

If only a couple, even though they are expensive, Irish vendors are probably the way to go.

You will need a charger too. About 15-20e.

Battery orders from fasttech are a bit over the place right now, so best avoid.

Batteries that would be good for the two mods I mentioned would be

Samsung 25r
    LG HE4
    Sony VTC4 or VTC5 or VTC5A.

Ooh I am liking the H-priv although I can't understand why its slightly more expensive then koopor 300w but I really like red black look so I guess that's that also thank you for the battery model numbers I thought any ole 18650's would have sufficed:D I will probably go with nkon as I would like at least one spare pair for when I am out and about (another issue I had with the coolfire, took forever to charge and didn't last long)

Jsmurff wrote:
    Ooh I am liking the H-priv although I can't understand why its slightly more expensive then koopor 300w but I really like red black look so I guess that's that also thank you for the battery model numbers I thought any ole 18650's would have sufficed I will probably go with nkon as I would like at least one spare pair for when I am out and about (another issue I had with the coolfire, took forever to charge and didn't last long)

Yeah for some reason the h priv is cheaper on a lot of sites. But the RRP of the koopor is more expensive.

I've a koopor primus on the way. And I'll probably be ordering a h priv sometime too.

If you are ordering anything from fasttech, there is a 10% off day tomorrow with the code DAD.

The coolfires are good if you are using under 30 watts. I have one of the newest ones, the coolfire IV TC 100. I use it with a small tank around 20 watts. Its good for that. Any higher and it isn't as good at holding its charge. You can get one now too that takes a single 18650. Not good for what you want to do though.

moleyv wrote: »
    Yeah for some reason the h priv is cheaper on a lot of sites. But the RRP of the koopor is more expensive.

I've a koopor primus on the way. And I'll probably be ordering a h priv sometime too.

If you are ordering anything from fasttech, there is a 10% off day tomorrow with the code DAD.

The coolfires are good if you are using under 30 watts. I have one of the newest ones, the coolfire IV TC 100. I use it with a small tank around 20 watts. Its good for that. Any higher and it isn't as good at holding its charge. You can get one now too that takes a single 18650. Not good for what you want to do though.

Damn! Won't have the funds tomorrow :( hopefully there'll be other offers when I do otherwise its still a bargain as far as I can see :)

Yeah I found that I adjusted to the 40w very quick so doubt I will ever be investing in something like that again

Again thanks for all the help this has to be one of the friendliest and most helpful forums on the whole site!

• Advertisement

Right so I 've decided to go with the H-Priv kit for now and leave off the TFV8 till later. The only problem I have is i can't tell if the micro TFV 4's RBA comes with the H-Priv kit. I know the tank in its own kit comes with all the extras a DIY'r would need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

This is a link to the product page on the Smok website.
    http://www.smoktech.com/kit/h-priv-kit

Scroll down towards the end and you will see that the coils included are the Micro CLP2 and the Micro STC2. The RBA types are the Micro R2 and Micro RCA, available separately as is Smoks way these days. Hope that helps.

yes it does cheers! little disapointed that it doesnt come with it but at least i have the option to get them without upgrading to a new tank entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

The only thing stopping me from buying this mod,is where the display screen is,it will be covered in juice(spitting) or most likely vapour coming from the airhole of the tank or any tank unless the airholes are facing outwards away from the screen as in the pics on their site,how many times will the airholes line up the way you want,not many....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not a fan of it's looks at all, I'd get a Cuboid over it any day. But, of course that's just personal preference.

Joyetech/wismec 510 connections don't do well with huge tanks though. Something they haven't bothered fixing in the new generation of devices (rx200s)

My ones held up OK, but I was conscious of the fact.

If you are into TC as well, Smok are leading the game in the non DNA/yihi stuff.

The new single 18650 smok quantum is supposed to be cracking.

I've been lucky to date with tanks sitting flush. So far all my tanks sit nicely across the 3 mods I use, The rx200, evic mini tc and Pico. The rx200 is the first wide mod I've owned, and the Avocado 24 sits perfectly on there. So hopefully any others I get will too. Just something about the look of that Smok one I'm not big on, also the reviews I've seen showed it had a very annoyingly 'clicky' fire button

The issues weren't really about sitting flush though. The spring in the 510 can give out, and the whole connection piece can get wobbly and detatch. Maybe it was certain batches. Mine were fine, but I was very careful with them.

I guess all devices will have their pros and cons, you choose according to what you can live with.

I saw a few reviews alright about the noisy trigger, I actually cancelled my pre order over it. But seeing more recent reviews now, maybe it was just a pre production issue, or the initial reviewers made a meal out of it, and weren't pressing it like normal use, they were pushing it in and letting it fly out. I'd have one happily, and regret not keeping the pre order. Something else is on its way instead of it though!

It's the old rx200 I have, I think that one is fine? mine is at least.

I know that 'clicky' sounds can be exaggerated in the review vids, amplified by the mics, by I can still see it annoying me over time.

No its the same, and they never updated it in the new one 's'. Kind of put me off the brand to be honest, should learn from mistakes.

A lot of reviewers use them as a reference point for comparison, 'at least its not as bad as joyetechs 510' kind of comments.

As I said, maybe it was certain batches, mine were fine, and I'd have happily kept them, but sold to consolidate down my devices and get some new stuff.

Edit to add: just as well on the avocado 24, the pin isn't too long on it. It fits flush on my coolfire but the newer 25mm RTAs don't for example.

• Advertisement

I cant say for certain why i like the look of it but i do especially the black/red version. its as if the tank was designed for it to it just sits there perfectly. As for the screen its been noted that if liquid gets on there its not going to leak through the cover as its well insulated (according to DJLSB vapes).

I did notice in DJLSB's review when showing off how quickly it fired he rapidly depresses and releases the fire key, while doing this the click is highly audible however when he uses it like a regular person its not that noticeable at least not to me anyway. Even if the click noise is atrocious it doesn't matter as I'll be using this exclusively at home where I have the freedom to blow ginormous clouds :D. I plan on ordering a Kangertech Topbox kit for use on the go.

in any case for ~€55 shipped to my door I can hardly complain its got excellent reviews has all the capabilities and functions i could want and its cheap couldnt ask for more then that really.

Looks are subjective of course. Like I love the look of the koopor primus, even though it clearly looks like a cheese grater!

I think it looks like a Late 80's early 90's Dictaphone :D

I;m actually pondering selling on the rx200 + batteries [bought from Doc on here recently] because my 4 bay charger died, and I have 2 other chargers, both only 2-bay. So it's a bit awkward getting the 3 batts all charged together. Thinking on selling the Pico also. As it's fallen back to third spot for me recently, I just find the Evic mini tc is still better, and much easier just swap batteries out. Fancy a dual 18650 instead maybe, be more suited to me. I like the look of the Cuboid, but waiting to see what else is on the horizon.

I quite like the look of the RX200 but I think I'd favour the the dripbox as I havent heard of Wismec until you guys brought it up :P

Jsmurff wrote: »
    I quite like the look of the RX200 but I think I'd favour the the dripbox as I havent heard of Wismec until you guys brought it up :P

They've really become popular only more recently. The rx200 and DNA 200 brought them to most people's attention. They also make the Theorem RTA and the new Rx75

The rx200 is a beast, great device, but you do need to dedicate/marry batteries to it, and you'd be best off with a spare set of 3 on top. It holds charge for ages though when fully charged.

The dripbox wouldn't be for me either, not really bothered with squonking. And I'd feel that was a waste of space [the juice bottle section] when not in use.

Wismec are an offshoot of joyetech as far as I know, they share chips and sadly 510 connections :v .

If you like the look of the rx200(s), the Lost Vape Triade would be up your street. Expensive though.

They've really become popular only more recently. The rx200 and DNA 200 brought them to most people's attention. They also make the Theorem RTA and the new Rx75

The rx200 is a beast, great device, but you do need to dedicate/marry batteries to it, and you'd be best off with a spare set of 3 on top. It holds charge for ages though when fully charged.

The dripbox wouldn't be for me either, not really bothered with squonking. And I'd feel that was a waste of space [the juice bottle section] when not in use.

I am still trying to wrap my head around that concept of "marrying" batteries to a mod... couldnt you just buy a bulk of the on battery model and then use whatever ones are fully charged? It's what I plan to do, get 6-10 30+Amp batteries (LGHE4's or Sony VCT5's) and a big multi-bay charger, all in preparation for future expantion of course :)

Fair points about the Dripbox but my choice was purely because of the brand name as I know people who use Kangertech and sware by them. But I should be willing to give other manufacturers a fair shake except innokin and aspire not happywith their products at all

You want to keep them in sets of 3 for the likes of the rx200 ideally. Otherwise the charge won't be consistent across the installed batteries, you may find one wearing down quicker than the others and then the other 2 will have to work harder to make up for the weaker one. That's lay man's terms, I know sweet FA about the science behind it tbh :D All i know is, marrying them to devices is the safest bet.

I haven't got one Kangertech product, strangely. My partner used a mini sub tank for a while, but I preferred the Aspire Atlantis, then the Herakles, and now my fav sub tank is the Aspire Cleito, so I guess I like their tanks.

Some people don't like joytech, yet the Evic mini TC is one of the best little mods Ive owned. I think it's all just personal preference. All of them have their duds and gems. I never go by the company, just the individual producst as they come out.

• Advertisement

I guess I do rely on "brand hype" as part of my decision process but I do try to not let it be one of the definitive factors and there is usually at least one brand that deserves the hype. Plenty of people in my college had smok gear and didn't have a single complaint, well at least when it came to performance consistency and build quality and I cant fault the visual design of their products either:)

I don't plan on solely being a smok "fan boy" as I do think other brands/companies/manufacturers will each have their own merits over others

Advertisement