Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Sugar to a Bolognaise Sauce

• 17-06-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if I added the sugar in at the end of the cooking time, rather than the beginning, would it make much difference?

I simmer my bolognaise sauce for three hours if that makes a difference!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I would add it towards the end myself. The amount needed usually depends on the quality of the tinned tomatoes (lower quality requiring more sugar)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah I normally put it in around the end but it depends on how the flavour is first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Do it at the end so you can taste the (almost) finished sauce and gauge how much you actually need. Same goes for salt and pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

how long towards the end do you add the sugar in, the last 20 mins or just before serving?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

ellejay wrote: »
    how long towards the end do you add the sugar in, the last 20 mins or just before serving?

I add it at the beginning myself, but if you're adding it towards the end you'd need to give it a little time, so at least ten minutes before serving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I use carrots in mine and I often find I need to add no sugar as a result. Definitely add sugar only after tasting near the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Carrots and/or slowly caramelising the onions seem to work for me, and buying nice enough canned tomatoes. Though when I do add sugar, it tends to be maple syrup or sweetchilli sauce as they're in the front of the fridge and the caster sugar's up high with the baking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I add a pinch of sugar half way through cooking. I like to simmer my sauces for about 1.5-2hrs.

I'll add a pinch about 45-60 mins into cooking, if it is needed and its work fine.

Advertisement