Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barna waste

Options
  • 17-06-2016 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

All over the news about Pay by weight coming into effect from Juky 1st
    I've had no communication from Barna waste about this ? We have black and blue bin and pay by DD. Kiltullagh area
    Anyone have any info
    Can't find anything meaningful on their website. Prices still same with no weight limit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

I was wondering that myself. Their website is silent on the topic. There are some articles from 2014 about pay-by-weight in Leitrim, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Guy in the Mayo forum posted http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100067622&postcount=18
    Might be similar pricing for your area.

>>>>>>>>

Barna have advised me as follows:

Yes pay by weight will be intorduced from the first of July, you should receive a letter on this in the coming days. The charges as follows:
    17 per month in service charges
    0.22 per kilo on general waste
    Â No charge on Recycling
    0.12 per kilo on compost

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

MBSnr wrote: »
    Guy in the Mayo forum posted http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100067622&postcount=18
    Might be similar pricing for your area.

>>>>>>>>

Yes pay by weight will be intorduced from the first of July, you should receive a letter on this in the coming days. The charges as follows:
    Â No charge on Recycling
    0.12 per kilo on compost
    We only have 2 bins!
    General and recycling

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

We're in Headford and I got a shocking reply when I enquired initally with Barna, saying that the monthly charge would be €87.50 + 0.22c/kg in the black bin!! Thankfully, after I replied to ask if this was an error/joke, I got another response as follows (aligns with above):

"This is incorrect, we will be charging €17 per month in service charges with a charge of €0.22 per kilo on the waste bin, there will be no charge on the recycling bin. We expect the average customer to continue to pay €175 for six months."

tobdom wrote: »
    We're in Headford and I got a shocking reply when I enquired initally with Barna, saying that the monthly charge would be €87.50 + 0.22c/kg in the black bin!! Thankfully, after I replied to ask if this was an error/joke, I got another response as follows (aligns with above):

"This is incorrect, we will be charging €17 per month in service charges with a charge of €0.22 per kilo on the waste bin, there will be no charge on the recycling bin. We expect the average customer to continue to pay €175 for six months."
    Is it just the 2 bins for ye as well
    No brown bin ?
    They will have to change that going forward with these charges

• Advertisement

Yea, just general waste (black) + recycling (blue), no brown bin.

tobdom wrote: »
    Yea, just general waste (black) + recycling (blue), no brown bin.

They will have to introduce one or the while thing is pointless

Well, at least the Barna pricing does encourage you to recycle more/better as you're not paying by weight for that bin

MBSnr wrote: »

No charge on Recycling
    0.12 per kilo on compost

Huh. So currently it's €175 / 6 months. Which means you can throw out 27.5 kg per collection in the general bin (I have a big garden so do my own compost) and get to the old price.

Good to know, thanks for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I made do for a long time with the Barna waste bin bags. With the new changes the bin bags has been phased out and I have no choice in the matter but to sign up for wheelie bins. I did the job last night and paid the 29.17 approx for the first month and was told in the acknowledgement that once the payment is processed I will get an email telling me when the bins will be delivered. The money has been taken from my account. I presume I will get that email within the next day or two about this.

They have a 'my account' section on their site and after signing up for bins, I received and account number and pin number and was told to please leave an hour for account to be activated. That was last night. We're now into the next day and this isn't working for me at all. Any body else having problems with Barna Waste or signing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

I made do for a long time with the Barna waste bin bags. With the new changes the bin bags has been phased out and I have no choice in the matter but to sign up for wheelie bins. I did the job last night and paid the 29.17 approx for the first month and was told in the acknowledgement that once the payment is processed I will get an email telling me when the bins will be delivered. The money has been taken from my account. I presume I will get that email within the next day or two about this.

They have a 'my account' section on their site and after signing up for bins, I received and account number and pin number and was told to please leave an hour for account to be activated. That was last night. We're now into the next day and this isn't working for me at all. Any body else having problems with Barna Waste or signing up.

Ya you will have to wait till you get your bins which can take up to 10 days depends where you are and than your man will activate your account and your bins and your up and running

It's been two weeks since I signed up for the bins and there's been no progress whatsoever.

My gut instinct told me the day after signing up for the bins that I will be running into problems here.

Towards the end of last week I sent an email requiring about my order and it went ignored.

I rang on Friday morning and again this morning and left a voice message and there's been no response.

I was hoping to have the bins for this week's collection put that's not going to happen now.

If I'm not replied back to by the end of the day I think I will be starting a charge back with the bank tomorrow morning because this is just absolute nonsense. I paid for 6 months and at this rate I'll be lucky if I get the bins by the next collection date.

Finally got through to Barna Waste. There was no knowledge of my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

They are shocking Broken Hearted, i recently signed up with them and they ignored 5 call backs, until i blocked the transactions and they called me. I hadnt even received bins
    P!SS poor service and the monopoly in my area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Up until last week we have been using bin tags to pay Barna for our wheelie bins.
    The blue bin goes out once a month and the black bin twice a year which comes to a grand total of €98 for the year.
    Now Barna want us to use the new scheme which means €204 a year service charge before we put out a single bin.
    How does this make sense?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hermy wrote: »
    Up until last week we have been using bin tags to pay Barna for our wheelie bins.
    The blue bin goes out once a month and the black bin twice a year which comes to a grand total of €98 for the year.
    Now Barna want us to use the new scheme which means €204 a year service charge before we put out a single bin.
    How does this make sense?

I was using the bags up until now and rang them last week about changing to the bins, they quoted me nearly 300 euro for the year.

No way I'll pay that so I'm going to start going to the recycling centre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yeah, that's my plan too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

I received a letter from Barna Waste yesterday saying they will be billing me €175 in December, to cover pay by weight charges in advance.
    They will continue to take direct debits for service charge.

Can they do this?

Mr Man wrote: »
    I received a letter from Barna Waste yesterday saying they will be billing me €175 in December, to cover pay by weight charges in advance.
    They will continue to take direct debits for service charge.

Can they do this?

Well I hope I don’t get this Xmas suprise too ! I’ll be on the phone immediately if I do. Why would we want or have to pay for weight charges in advance ?
    And how much is the service charge? I only pay about 300 a year as it is

Where are you based ? We still don’t have a compost bin so assume we won’t be pay by weight until we do

https://cportal.barnarecycling.com/signup/signup_page2.php?ServiceArea=Co%20Galway&ServiceLocality=Athenry&Pram=uEitbfa6rcC7Ht87z5KPhSp4HB95MgCtPKQIBFzfXysu6G59Kz#info
    From their website
    One month in advance is all that’s ever asked for
    Don’t accept the terms on that letter
    A week or 2 notice of 175 euro leaving your account is unacceptable

• Advertisement

I also got a letter from Barna today.

I pay six months in advance - the most they allow. The base cost of that is €155. I do wish there was an option for a reduced price for a monthly collection. Note that banks normally charge for direct debits over a certain number per month so paying for longer periods avoids those charges.

You're allowed 300kg of general waste every six months and an unlimited amount of recycling. After that they charge 22¢/kg for general waste. They don't collect a compost bin here AFAIK but I've never asked for it as I don't generate enough compost for my garden as it stands already. They didn't charge by weight last year but apparently they tracked it - over that period I had 43kg in my general waste bin and 23kg in my recycle bin.

From an incentives POV it would be better if the gov't also put in incentives to producers to reduce packaging instead of only doing incentives with the consumer. But some incentives directed at the consumer are a good thing. Starting around the time of the plastic bag fee I put a concerted effort into reducing the amount of waste I generate. Pretty much everything I throw away I paid for - with the bag fee that now included bin liners a thing I was buying to specifically throw away. That seemed financially self-destructive.

So I compost food, paper and garden waste. I make sure to put glass in the glass recycling at my local shop. I recycle electronic waste at the county council. Those alone pull a huge amount of weight out of the general waste bin.

But also reducing the amount of food and electronics I buy also reduces my expenses and reduces how much I throw out.

If your bins weigh a lot it's not a bad idea to ask yourself why and what you can do to reduce that. You'll likely save money on what comes in, not just on what's going out.

lyda wrote: »
    I also got a letter from Barna today.

I pay six months in advance - the most they allow. The base cost of that is €155. I do wish there was an option for a reduced price for a monthly collection. Note that banks normally charge for direct debits over a certain number per month so paying for longer periods avoids those charges.

You're allowed 300kg of general waste every six months and an unlimited amount of recycling. After that they charge 22¢/kg for general waste. They don't collect a compost bin here AFAIK but I've never asked for it as I don't generate enough compost for my garden as it stands already. They didn't charge by weight last year but apparently they tracked it - over that period I had 43kg in my general waste bin and 23kg in my recycle bin.

From an incentives POV it would be better if the gov't also put in incentives to producers to reduce packaging instead of only doing incentives with the consumer. But some incentives directed at the consumer are a good thing. Starting around the time of the plastic bag fee I put a concerted effort into reducing the amount of waste I generate. Pretty much everything I throw away I paid for - with the bag fee that now included bin liners a thing I was buying to specifically throw away. That seemed financially self-destructive.

So I compost food, paper and garden waste. I make sure to put glass in the glass recycling at my local shop. I recycle electronic waste at the county council. Those alone pull a huge amount of weight out of the general waste bin.

But also reducing the amount of food and electronics I buy also reduces my expenses and reduces how much I throw out.

If your bins weigh a lot it's not a bad idea to ask yourself why and what you can do to reduce that. You'll likely save money on what comes in, not just on what's going out.

Their website provides much less information than you just did there
    Thanks for that
    We don't have a 240L back bin either we have the smaller one and the price we pay reflects that
    New price is based only on a 240L bin from what I can see

Post will be here in the next hour......

km79 wrote: »
    Well I hope I don’t get this Xmas suprise too ! I’ll be on the phone immediately if I do. Why would we want or have to pay for weight charges in advance ?
    And how much is the service charge? I only pay about 300 a year as it is

Where are you based ? We still don’t have a compost bin so assume we won’t be pay by weight until we do

Athenry.

Right I rang for clarification and got it
    The letter is poorly worded
    I will not be billed 155 euro in January
    The 155 euro covers the 6 month period from Jan to June BUT it will still be billed monthly by DD over the 6 months
    If I go over the allowance it will be 0.22 per kg on top of that

That's much better

km79 wrote: »
    Right I rang for clarification and got it
    The letter is poorly worded
    I will not be billed 155 euro in January
    The 155 euro covers the 6 month period from Jan to June BUT it will still be billed monthly by DD over the 6 months
    If I go over the allowance it will be 0.22 per kg on top of that

That's much better

Same for us, we're currently paying via derict debit monthly.

Got the letter a few days ago saying "We will be billing you €175 in December 2017 to cover the six-month period January-June 2018"..... badly worded indeed for any existing DD customers.

Just got off the phone with them and they confirmed it will continue as is on monthly DD.

I got an email with the below classic non-apology.

Apologies if the wording of this letter caused you distress at this time.

Advertisement