Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eirgrid: Poweroff and Save

Options
  • 17-06-2016 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

This weeks Irish Independent had an article about getting €100 off your electricity bill if you reduced your electricity consumption at certain periods of the day. The article stated that the scheme was open to everybody and to see Electric Irelands website for details. When I did this it said the scheme was exclusive to Electric Ireland customers only. I emailed them about this but as I am not with Electric Ireland. Their reply was not satisfactory.

I also looked at Eirgrids website and this said nothing about the scheme being exclusive to Electric Ireland customers. I think this is unfair as Eirgrid are the national network provider and are only dealing with one electricity provider for which a significant discount can be availed of.

See article attachments.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/householders-to-get-100-to-power-off-at-peak-times-34802612.html

http://www.eirgrid.ie/how-the-grid-works/power-off-save/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly Eirgrid are not the network provider. They are Transmission only (110kv lines or higher) and even then they don't own them. They have nothing to do with pricing, offers, or consumer usage. This is an offer from one supply company - Electric Ireland - and nothing to do with Eirgrid by a long chalk. Plus, this is only a limited pilot scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

can you then please explain why this weeks indo states the programme is open to everybody?

Because the Indo is wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

horsebox7 wrote: »
    can you then please explain why this weeks indo states the programme is open to everybody?

Because its a crap rag of a 'newspaper'?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Ask them???

• Advertisement

And it's 'UP TO' €100 off your bill.

Although scrameen says Eirgrid is not be the national network provider Eirgrid state on their website ; EirGrid Group : "We are a state-owned company that manages and operates the transmission grid across the island of Ireland".

Therefor even though this is a pilot scheme managed ultimately by the state the administration of the scheme is rolled out by a private company and is not inclusive to all consumers.

Although scrameen says Eirgrid is not be the national network provider Eirgrid state on their website ; EirGrid Group : "We are a state-owned company that manages and operates the transmission grid across the island of Ireland".

Therefor even though this is a pilot scheme managed ultimately by the state the administration of the scheme is rolled out by a private company and is not inclusive to all consumers.

It is impossible for eirgrid to operate the scheme (as they do not deal with customers), meaning they need to get the retail suppliers to do it for them. As its a pilot scheme, it needs to be one retail supplier.

In my opinion the scheme stands to only benefit customers of one supplier which is unfair to consumers at the end of the day.

In my opinion the scheme stands to only benefit customers of one supplier which is unfair to consumers at the end of the day.

Its a pilot scheme. Its only going to 'benefit' a tiny number of customers, and the benefit is questionable at that (going without power at the whim of the grid operator)

• Advertisement

What I said stands. They are Not the network provider and only manage, on behalf of the owners ESB, the transmission grid. The transmission grid is not the distribution network and is a far cry from having any input to customers or the supply business.
    Yet again, this is only a pilot scheme at this stage. All pilots are limited. The breast check pilot, for instance, only covered certain counties, as did many state pilots. A pilot by definition cannot include all customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

How is it not open to everyone - are you barred from taking a contract with Electric Ireland for some reason?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You might be unhappy but this is how pilot schemes work,
    When Eir trialed fibre it wasn't available via ALL internet service provider, it was only available through eir as they decided to trial it. This really is no different.

This isn't anti competitive, its a pilot scheme and as such its going to be limited and no all provider will want to take the chance on it. Anyone is able to switch electric providers to use the scheme if they so wish.

They may switch but if they are in a contract they can't do so without paying a fee for break of contract. I have contacted the Irish Independednt and will let people know their response.

They may switch but if they are in a contract they can't do so without paying a fee for break of contract. I have contacted the Irish Independednt and will let people know their response.

Why?

The Indo made a mistake. Its a rag, it makes mistakes all the bloody time.

They aren't going to get you on to the pilot with another supplier. If the pilot was area based, you'd have to move.

Why? They were wrong.
    They also said it was open to ALL consumers but it's not, as it's a pilot limited to 1500 customers. Another error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Do you really think the indo give one iota of care to absolute correctness of a story?

Its a hysterical rag that is interested in nothing but clicks on scam links for €29 iphones and wild hysterical stories that in a normal society would barely get a mention on an inside page of a local freesheet.

Anyone who takes anything printed in that rag as absolute truth needs to think again.

Advertisement