Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guarantee period for TV?

Options
  • 17-06-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a TV in February 2015 from Argos and while I know that all TVs come with a 1 year manufacturer's guarantee am I right in thinking that under EU law its a 2 year warranty?

The actual TV itself is okay but the stand has gone wonky. The TV can also be used as a monitor and the stand was designed to allow for tilting the tv/monitor back and forward at an angle but unfortunately a couple of little bits of hard plastic have fallen off the point where the stand connects to the TV and I have now had to wedge a piece of cardboard in to keep it in place. I assume that this type of fault would also be covered.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

If you can show it has a manufacturing defect or was not suitable for what it was intened to do, then you may claim for UP TO 6 years.

The stand being wonky after almost a year and a half of use probably won't fall under this as it would depend on how that stand was used and how often it was changed position. It could very well be that whoever was movign the TV about did not move with proper care thus causing the stand to break off.

Should be easy enough to get a replacement part

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

VincePP wrote: »
    If you can show it has a manufacturing defect or was not suitable for what it was intened to do, then you may claim for UP TO 6 years.

The stand being wonky after almost a year and a half of use probably won't fall under this as it would depend on how that stand was used and how often it was changed position. It could very well be that whoever was movign the TV about did not move with proper care thus causing the stand to break off.

Should be easy enough to get a replacement part
    Good points as such. The "item" was only ever used as a TV and was tilted once just to get the viewing angle right. But then again the manufacturers arent going to know or perhaps accept that. A replacement part is £16.10 + P & P and I dont think it would work anyhow as the problem appears to be in the piece of the TV casing where the support arm fits into.

But to counter argue the above points I would point out that over the years I have probably bought close on a dozen TVs (+ several monitors) and never once had an issue with the stand on any of them. I would certainly expect to get more than 16 months use from a stand and I wouldnt consider it as being fit for purpose if it failed within that time scale......but see below

As it turns out this TV has a 2 year warranty so I intended taking it back to Argos but I phoned their support number in Dublin (was redirected to the UK) and they said I would have to deal with the local store. I rang the local store umpteen times over a 4 day period so I give up as no one was answering.

Went back to the Dublin number again and the girl I talked to said they would only accept returns within the first year but as she was in the UK I would have to check with the local store. Talk about going round in circles. She give me a different number for the Letterkenny store which as it turned out was actually a private number and on the first call I got someone on the other end of the phone. He pretty much said the same as the girl in the UK that I would have to contact the manufacturer. So I have an email away to LG and Im waiting for their reply.

But should I not be able to return this to Argos as it is still under warranty and my contract obviously is with Argos and not the manufacturer? I recall buying an electric lawnmower from Argos in N.I. several years ago and I took out a 1 year extended warranty on it (2 years in total). near the end of the 2 year period smoke started coming out of the mower so I took it back to Argos in NI. and they replaced it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

You have no contract with LG. Your contract is with the seller i.e. Argos. Call them again and tell them you want them to resolve the issue or you will proceed to the Small Claims Court.
    Retailers continually trying to shirk their responsibility by passing consumer issues back to manufacturer is becoming all too common. This will incur transport costs etc. payable by you.
    I would pursue to the SCC if they do not respond positively.
    If you want an immediate solution you could take the TV back to the store on a busy day and create a fuss.
    See:http://www.consumerhelp.ie/guarantees-warranties

• Advertisement

Cerco was spot on with the advice in the post above. After I talked to the guy in the local Argos store on the phone (told me that they dont take returns after 1 year) I emailed LG and to cut a long story short they were reluctant to offer any positive outcome. They wanted me to take pics and send them on and they would have a look but went to great lengths to explain how the warranty didnt cover "misuse"

I decided to phone the Competition & Consumer Protection Commission and a nice girl there told me to have no further dealings with LG and return the telly to Argos. She pointed out that Argos had to take responsibility for it. So I rang the Argos support line in Dublin (redirected to the UK) just to be sure that I wasnt going to make a 30 mile round trip for nothing and was fed the same spiel again so I brought her up to speed on the little bit of Irish consumer law that I was now aware of.

She said she would call me back but within 10 minutes I had a call from the local store manager instead and to give him credit he was more than helpful and told me to return the telly which I did today and I was given a replacement there and then.

So if any of you out there have bought something from Argos or indeed any retailer and it goes on the blink or whatever after 12 months then take it back to the store and dont be fobbed off with this "we cant take returns after 12 months" yarn. The store may try to argue that it is their policy not to accept returns under these circumstances but as the nice girl in the CCPC office told me....the customers consumer rights override any store policy.

muffler wrote: »
    Cerco was spot on with the advice in the post above. After I talked to the guy in the local Argos store on the phone (told me that they dont take returns after 1 year) I emailed LG and to cut a long story short they were reluctant to offer any positive outcome. They wanted me to take pics and send them on and they would have a look but went to great lengths to explain how the warranty didnt cover "misuse"

I decided to phone the Competition & Consumer Protection Commission and a nice girl there told me to have no further dealings with LG and return the telly to Argos. She pointed out that Argos had to take responsibility for it. So I rang the Argos support line in Dublin (redirected to the UK) just to be sure that I wasnt going to make a 30 mile round trip for nothing and was fed the same spiel again so I brought her up to speed on the little bit of Irish consumer law that I was now aware of.

She said she would call me back but within 10 minutes I had a call from the local store manager instead and to give him credit he was more than helpful and told me to return the telly which I did today and I was given a replacement there and then.

So if any of you out there have bought something from Argos or indeed any retailer and it goes on the blink or whatever after 12 months then take it back to the store and dont be fobbed off with this "we cant take returns after 12 months" yarn. The store may try to argue that it is their policy not to accept returns under these circumstances but as the nice girl in the CCPC office told me....the customers consumer rights override any store policy.

CCPC are great. They helped me with a new sofa problem some years back- I quoted the relevant legislation to the shop and they weren't long about providing a full refund.

Advertisement