Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowed to cycle on Grafton St

Options
  • 17-06-2016 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

Was on Grafton Street around 8.30 this morning, almost got hit twice by bikes on it.

Are bikes allowed on Grafton st? As there were alot cycling on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

It isn't a pedestrian zone at that hour of the morning. To allow deliveries, vehicles (including bikes) are allowed until 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

wench wrote: »
    It isn't a pedestrian zone at that hour of the morning. To allow deliveries, vehicles (including bikes) are allowed until 11am

Thats quiet dangerous then, because there is no designated walk or cycle area at that time.

A silly idea by Dublin Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I cycle on a Dublin bike on Grafton Street at all times of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If true, you deserve to be shot ,or at least fined by AGS *

* I do not condone violence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah. Don't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I often see cyclists bombing it down Grafton St on a busy Saturday. Evil Knievel types.

What can ya do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thats quiet dangerous then, because there is no designated walk or cycle area at that time.

i walk up grafton street most mornings. i wouldn't call it a danger zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I prefer my method, a slight side step because i didnt "see" them ;)

Resulting in someone having a bad day and it sure as hell wont be me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...A silly idea by Dublin Council.
    What would you prefer - empty shops and restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

How is it dangerous?

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    How is it dangerous?

I got hit by a bike once. It hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

D3V!L wrote: »

So you get knocked down??

Saipanne wrote: »
    I got hit by a bike once. It hurts.

Was this on graft on street during the " pedestrians only" time zone? If yes then you were knocked down by a numpty who should not have been Cycing on the path. If it was outside the pedestrian hours, then you were knocked down by a numpty on a bike who should have more "cop on"

These thing happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

How will bikes fill shops and restaurants at 830 am? Who goes to a restaurant at 830 am on grafton st?

Was this on graft on street during the " pedestrians only" time zone? If yes then you were knocked down by a numpty who should not have been Cycing on the path. If it was outside the pedestrian hours, then you were knocked down by a numpty on a bike who should have more "cop on"

These thing happen though.

No, it was on Dame Lane. I'm just saying that being hit by a bike can cause harm, though not life threatening, but there is some "danger" involved.

No, it was on Dame Lane. I'm just saying that being hit by a bike can cause harm, though not life threatening, but there is some "danger" involved.

Getting out of bed in the morning can be "dangerous"!

Getting out of bed in the morning can be "dangerous"!

OK. So bikes can't be dangerous? I don't get what you're saying here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's been like this for years, I used to work in Grafton Street in the 90s and wasn't pushed on cycling it myself at the time as there was too many people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

I think it meant that they would be empty of things to sell/feed you if the delivery trucks can't make their way to their stores...

As an aside though, DCC (I think) did a study a while back that showed that cyclists actually do spend a high enough amount in city centre shops, possibly even higher than car users, but I can't remember exactly now so happy tp be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I often see cyclists bombing it down Grafton St on a busy Saturday. Evil Knievel types.

What can ya do?

Plant your feet and hit them with a clothesline. That'll wipe the smile off their face quick enough.

• Advertisement

I'm sayin cycling on Grafton St. when it's not a pedestrian zone is not dangerous. The decision by DCC to allow vehicles on Grafton St. At certain times is not "silly".

Accidents happen and are usually caused by stupid people. DCC can't control the actions of stupid people.

I'm sayin cycling on Grafton St. when it's not a pedestrian zone is not dangerous. The decision by DCC to allow vehicles on Grafton St. At certain times is not "silly".

Accidents happen and are usually caused by stupid people. DCC can't control the actions of stupid people.

That's fine. But I'm sure you'll agree that a bike going full speed hitting a standing pedestrian is dangerous. That's what I was saying.

Anyway, back to Grafton St.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try going there at night with the rickshaws running, it's insane nobody has been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

D3V!L wrote: »

I have a friend who got knocked down and was in an induced coma due to getting hit by a bike. Has never been the same since.

Plant your feet and hit them with a clothesline. That'll wipe the smile off their face quick enough.

I've been tempted to do this so many times! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can also drive in it at those hours

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

There's a footpath on both sides, and bollards/bins/lampposts that signal where the road ends and path begins. So apart from beside Rocks where the path is fully blocked by some building work I can't see a problem. The cyclists can use the road.
    When you come to the building work give a little glance over your shoulder and if it's safe, then walk on the road. I don't walk it much any more but a little common sense goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How will bikes fill shops and restaurants at 830 am? Who goes to a restaurant at 830 am on grafton st?
    Shops and restaurants require stock to sell. This stock is delivered by commercial vehicles who require access to deliver as many premises on Grafton Street do not have rear access.

(And regarding who goes to a restaurant at 8.30 - have you never had breakfast out? I'm much more likely to be in a restaurant at 8.30am than at 8.30pm).

Shops and restaurants require stock to sell. This stock is delivered by commercial vehicles who require access to deliver as many premises on Grafton Street do not have rear access.

(And regarding who goes to a restaurant at 8.30 - have you never had breakfast out? I'm much more likely to be in a restaurant at 8.30am than at 8.30pm).

Maybe the restaurnat Staff have to be in early to accept the deliveries?? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Quite a few things are open at that time.

Many places do breakfast, and some shops are open.

Advertisement