Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allowed to cycle on Grafton St

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Saipanne wrote: »
    That's fine. But I'm sure you'll agree that a bike going full speed hitting a standing pedestrian is dangerous. That's what I was saying.
    We've seen in pretty recent and high profile (and tragic) case that a pedestrian knocking a cyclist off a bike can be pretty dangerous too, so those suggesting an "accidental" side step as a solution should also have a bit of cop on. "They shouldn't have been there anyway" wouldn't clear my conscious if I did something to deliberately to knock someone off that ended up with a similar outcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

D3V!L wrote: »
    I prefer my method, a slight side step because i didnt "see" them ;)

Resulting in someone having a bad day and it sure as hell wont be me :D

Ah yes, I see. Someone behaves in a way that is ever so slightly dangerous, and to show them how wrong they are, you deliberately cause a collision. Totally have the moral high ground there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I'm sayin cycling on Grafton St. when it's not a pedestrian zone is not dangerous. The decision by DCC to allow vehicles on Grafton St. At certain times is not "silly".

Accidents happen and are usually caused by stupid people. DCC can't control the actions of stupid people.

When i said "silly", what I meant is that there is no clear divide for the cyclist or walker, they could easily go into each other.

brianomc wrote: »
    There's a footpath on both sides, and bollards/bins/lampposts that signal where the road ends and path begins. So apart from beside Rocks where the path is fully blocked by some building work I can't see a problem. The cyclists can use the road.
    When you come to the building work give a little glance over your shoulder and if it's safe, then walk on the road. I don't walk it much any more but a little common sense goes a long way.

There is no footpath, its all at the same level. And you can't use the side that much in the morning as its blocked off with deliveries.

It just caught me by surprise this morning, no problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

When i said "silly", what I meant is that there is no clear divide for the cyclist or walker, they could easily go into each other.

So its DCC responsibility to ensure cyclist and walkers don't run into each other?
    what happened to personal responsibility?

If a cyclist and a pedestrian collide, its probably because:
    1. the cyclist was not looking or paying attention
    2. the pedestrian was not looking or paying attention
    3. A combination of 1 and 2.

As others have pointed out..On Grafton street, there are bollards which do "divide" the street. so it should be clear to most, where they can or cannot walk/cycle. (outside the Pedestrian only hours)

Having said that I do think anyone who cycles on Grafton Street at any time should do so cautiously as most pedestrians assume its a pedestrian zone 24 hours a day.

Edit: I don't condone anyone who cycles in a Pedestrain zone. its illeagal anyway. Dont do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When a clear divide is provided, it doesn't stop pedestrians using the cycle track - e.g. Clontarf/Sutton track as well as many others where cyclists are likely to being travelling faster than on Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

There is no footpath, its all at the same level. And you can't use the side that much in the morning as its blocked off with deliveries.

It just caught me by surprise this morning, no problem with it

It doesn't have to be raised up to be a footpath. It's obvious to 99.9% of the people that the bit between the shops and bollards is the path and the other bit in the middle is the road. The vans/trucks generally pull in on the McDonalds side of the road leaving the Brown Thomas side free for vehicles to move along.

Delivery drivers shouldn't be blocking the path. Make a complaint to the shop involved if you wish.

Any cyclist who races down a busy Grafton Street is a dick. I don't think anyone here will dispute that.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I have a problem with it during pedestrian hours, it's just ignorant and asshole behaviour. It's intimidating for elderly people, vision impaired people and nervous people in general. I'd love to see AGS fining people for it. Alas enforcement of this along with many things ain't going to happen.

The cyclists doing it don't care a damn what impact it has on others whether cycling on the footpath or in pedestrian areas.

I agree. I stand beside the bike, put one foot on the pedal and treat it like a scooter, going at slightly-more-than-walking-pace. It also allows you to transform into a normal pedestrian instantly if anyone looks at you funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Storm in a teacup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Saipanne wrote: »
    I often see cyclists bombing it down Grafton St on a busy Saturday. Evil Knievel types.

What can ya do?

What? Dead, on a motorbike?

The usual reference is "Lance Armstrong wannabe" or, if you want to be more current, "Bradley Wiggins wannabes" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Getting out of bed in the morning can be "dangerous"!

:confused:

You'll damage your pedal putting all your weight on it like that. Also you will be despised by every pedestrian you pass as an inconsiderate sap.

:confused:

Two fine contributions...

Did it make you question yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You'll damage your pedal putting all your weight on it like that....
    Much more pressure will be applied as one's weight transfers from pedal to pedal while out of the saddle on a long steep climb.

When a clear divide is provided, it doesn't stop pedestrians using the cycle track - e.g. Clontarf/Sutton track as well as many others where cyclists are likely to being travelling faster than on Grafton Street.

Yes but that's a different topic, we are talking about Grafton st

Also you will be despised by every pedestrian you pass as an inconsiderate sap.

When will we be saved from the slightly-more-than-walking-pace menace?

Advertisement