Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 bedroom council house

Options
  • 17-06-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey, just wondering if anybody has got a transfer from a 3 bed council house to a 4 bed council house with fingal county council and how long it took? We have only been on the list a few months so not expecting to move anytime soon but would love to hear how long it took other people as council said it would be around 3 years but i havent seen any empty 4 beds since and know there is lots of people waiting for them, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

It madness if the council upgrade houses, from 3 to 4. Whats wrong with the 3 bedroom one?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

It madness if the council upgrade houses, from 3 to 4. Whats wrong with the 3 bedroom one?
    It's not madness.
    Bigger families with children of different ages and both genders need bigger houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lorsgirls

Just looking for advice from people who have been in the same position, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Presumably it varies depending on your needs, they are far more likely to move a family quicker with 6 kids than 4 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

It took a friend 12 years to go from the 3 to the 4 bed. by that stage, 2 of the 3 kids had left, she got remarried and started another family. she got investigated and they took the house off her as the kids that she applied for were no longer resident. now she lives in a bed sit on the north circular road and they all sleep in the same room.

• Advertisement

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Presumably it varies depending on your needs, they are far more likely to move a family quicker with 6 kids than 4 for example.

Thanks, we have 5 children and didnt actually go looking for a bigger house, when we went to inform them of the birth of our last baby we were told there is now too many of us in the 3 bed and we are now classed as overcrowded and are on the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mod: constructive posts please, this is not a thread to bash people on the housing lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

this drives me nuts. I pay a mortgage on my house and have to family plan according to my means. Not your fault OP but the system is an fing disgrace. Knowing this crap has put me in bad form for the weekend after working a 60hr week to afford the mortgage

To clarify, we temporarily got knocked down by the recession a few years back. Thankfully we were one of the lucky ones that got housed quite quickly. We have worked very hard to get back on our feet. My husband works 50+ hours a week and i take every shift i can possibly get. We pay one of the higher rates of council rent now. When we went to notify the council of the birth of our last baby we were told there is now too many of us living in a 3 bed house and we are classed as overcrowded. We didnt go looking for a bigger house. We were told it would take approx 3 years for the transfer and we are on the priority list. I'm actually quite anxious at the thoughts of moving. Having worked so hard, we still are not in a position to buy our own private house, however we think think we would be able to buy out our house under the new tenant purchase scheme. My reason for wanting other peoples opinions on how long it took is because we are trying to work out if we should hold out for a year or 2 in hopes of getting the bigger house and then buying it from the council or if everyone has waited much longer and there kids are grown by the time a transfer comes around would we be better to bite the bullet and buy the house we are in now. I would also love to know if people who did get transfers got them in the local area or if they ended up moving far as our children are settled and happy in schools etc and i dont like the idea of moving somewhere too far, thanks for any helpful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eurokev wrote: »
    this drives me nuts. I pay a mortgage on my house and have to family plan according to my means. Not your fault OP but the system is an fing disgrace. Knowing this crap has put me in bad form for the weekend after working a 60hr week to afford the mortgage

people in council houses do pay rent and in most cases work as well. From the sounds of things she could be waiting a long time for that extra bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lorsgirls- they assess the suitability of the property under the tenant purchase scheme- if they have already deemed the property overcrowded- they will deem it unsuitable to your housing needs- and it won't qualify for the scheme.

Vis-a-vis how long it takes to be rehomed from a 3 to a 4 bed- Fingal, the LA you're dealing with- are one of the fastest LAs in the country- however, as a rule of thumb it takes 12-15 years- unless you're on the priority list- which at the moment is taking under 2 years (as there is a government fund setup to try to increase the supply of LA housing stock- which in most council areas mean they buy houses as they come on the market tailored to the needs of those on the priority housing list. 66 million was dedicated to this purpose in 2015- and there is 220 million budgeted to be spent in this manner in 2016- nationally.

Vis-a-vis the tenant purchase scheme- it is proposed to repeal this scheme in its entirety- in favour of expanding council mortgages- as the scheme is credited with removing housing stock from the council/LA supplies. Its not all bad news however- its envisaged that council mortgage schemes would be massively rolled out- just you can't buy a council or a local authority property with the mortgage- you have to find a property on the open market.

Underscoring all of this- is the simple irrefutable fact- we're all screwed until the construction of residential housing units starts up to 'normal' levels again.

Lorsgirls- they assess the suitability of the property under the tenant purchase scheme- if they have already deemed the property overcrowded- they will deem it unsuitable to your housing needs- and it won't qualify for the scheme.

Vis-a-vis how long it takes to be rehomed from a 3 to a 4 bed- Fingal, the LA you're dealing with- are one of the fastest LAs in the country- however, as a rule of thumb it takes 12-15 years- unless you're on the priority list- which at the moment is taking under 2 years (as there is a government fund setup to try to increase the supply of LA housing stock- which in most council areas mean they buy houses as they come on the market tailored to the needs of those on the priority housing list. 66 million was dedicated to this purpose in 2015- and there is 220 million budgeted to be spent in this manner in 2016- nationally.

Vis-a-vis the tenant purchase scheme- it is proposed to repeal this scheme in its entirety- in favour of expanding council mortgages- as the scheme is credited with removing housing stock from the council/LA supplies. Its not all bad news however- its envisaged that council mortgage schemes would be massively rolled out- just you can't buy a council or a local authority property with the mortgage- you have to find a property on the open market.

Underscoring all of this- is the simple irrefutable fact- we're all screwed until the construction of residential housing units starts up to 'normal' levels again.

Thank you very much for that long and informative reply, its very helpful. We had briefly looked into applying to the council for a mortgage but were worried that we couldnt get afford to buy at full price where as with the tenant purchase scheme we would get the house at a reduced rate. But maybe we should go back and have another look at it given the above information, thanks again.

lorsgirls wrote: »
    Thank you very much for that long and informative reply, its very helpful. We had briefly looked into applying to the council for a mortgage but were worried that we couldnt get afford to buy at full price where as with the tenant purchase scheme we would get the house at a reduced rate. But maybe we should go back and have another look at it given the above information, thanks again.

Definitely do check it out.
    Also- keep an eye on developments- for the first time ever we have a Minister dedicated to housing- Simon Coveney- while he hasn't pulled any white rabbits out of a hat thus far- it beggars belief that he won't have some big announcements in the near future.

The core issue in our housing market- including local authority housing- is the abject shortage of supply. Once building drags itself off the floor (and we are pencilled in to build over 50,000 units between now and 2019)- the bad old days of allowing developers pay a sum to local authorities in lieu of delivering a number of social units in every development- will hopefully it finally put to bed for once and for all..........

A number of county planners were recently invited on a trip to Scotland to view how their repeal of tenant purchase schemes was working. This ties in with stated policy to repeal the scheme here.

Also- Council mortgages had a facelift last week- including all new lower rates and some new rules- so do contact the council and see just how the new setup suits you (the partial ownership scheme- where you buy 50% of the property (or whatever percentage)- and then pay an assessed rent to the council for the other 50%- is still there too- you do actually have several different options).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Why would it drive you nuts before you even knew of the OP's circumstances? Even the best-laid plans can go awry. As an early 30s woman who in the last year has been struck with a life-threatening illness, I know this more than most. In the last year I've needed a lot of state assistance and believe me, I'd much rather I didn't need it. It can be difficult to appreciate how life can come unstuck until it happens to you.

It just does. I have zero problem with state assistance and zero problem with the OP, actually seems a lovely genuine person.

My problem is as I say. I have to live by my means through working and paying a mortgage on a modest mid- terrace 3 bed, well really a 2.5 bed. This results in me probably having to get the snip after 3 kids max, because no-one is going to extend my home or move me to a bigger home and expect a modest sum in return. I would personally have to foot the full rigours of the bill either by getting lucky by getting paid more or by making more sacrifices.

That's my reason for it annoying me.

But to add, I have zero problem with OPs or yourself's circumstances, but it makes even more sense why some people i know of have lovely houses, 2 holidays a year, out every weekend etc..... despite either not working or working intermittently, on purpose, for the last 10 years since I left school. And these are the only I am aware of being housed by the council, and they are numerous, and conscientiously making the life choice of being housed this way, which is not what the system should be used for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

It just does. I have zero problem with state assistance and zero problem with the OP, actually seems a lovely genuine person.

My problem is as I say. I have to live by my means through working and paying a mortgage on a modest mid- terrace 3 bed, well really a 2.5 bed. This results in me probably having to get the snip after 3 kids max, because no-one is going to extend my home or move me to a bigger home and expect a modest sum in return. I would personally have to foot the full rigours of the bill either by getting lucky by getting paid more or by making more sacrifices.

But to add, I have zero problem with OPs or yourself's circumstances, but it makes even more sense why some people i know of have lovely houses, 2 holidays a year, out every weekend etc..... despite either not working or working intermittently, on purpose, for the last 10 years since I left school. And these are the only I am aware of being housed by the council, and they are numerous, and conscientiously making the life choice of being housed this way, which is not what the system should be used for

Isn't it just fantastic that you have a job earning enough to be able to get a mortgage. Good for you.

Meanwhile myself and my partner both work but don't earn enough to get a mortgage. So we are in social housing. Would you like us to rent privately, so that we can't save ANY money for the eventuality house prices might fall, or our wages increase, or mortgage rules are relaxed?

Hopefully neither you nor you partner ever have a life threatening illness, or die, leaving the other one to give up work, be a full time carer, fall behind in mortgage payments etc etc etc

There are many reasons people may need state assistance with housing & let's hope you ( or I) will never need it.

Jesus ye are just looking for an argument. My problem is that the people I know are availing the council housing scheme on purpose.

Iv stated I'm well in favour of housing assistance, and am in favour of helping OP and other poster with an illness.

Stop looking for argument's. It's just my opinion from my experience that there system is abused, and it annoys the life out of me.

Anyway sorry my comments derailed your thread OP .
    Mod: please feel free to remove my comments to get thread back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

bubblypop wrote: »
    Hopefully neither you nor you partner ever have a life threatening illness, or die, leaving the other one to give up work, be a full time carer, fall behind in mortgage payments etc etc etc

There are many reasons people may need state assistance with housing & let's hope you ( or I) will never need it.

My family moved from a 3 bed council house to a 4 bed council house over 30 years ago. 5 children at the time, 4 boys and a girl. I was only 8 years old so I don't know the mechanisms behind it.

For eurokevs benefit, it had 4 walls, 2 presses and a sink in the kitchen, and nothing else. My folks, (well one of them, my father had gotten permanent brain damage in an accident a year before) had to decorate and furnish the place on their own with 5 small children.

I posted the above just to burst the bubble some people have of likening a council house to winning the lotto.

Jesus ye are just looking for an argument. My problem is that the people I know are availing the council housing scheme on purpose.

Iv stated I'm well in favour of housing assistance, and am in favour of helping OP and other poster with an illness.

Stop looking for argument's. It's just my opinion from my experience that there system is abused, and it annoys the life out of me.

Anyway sorry my comments derailed your thread OP .
    Mod: please feel free to remove my comments to get thread back on track.

To be fair, i know where your coming from. It can be frustrating when people judge everyone relying on social housing as the same but there really are so many people abusing the system, we see it time and time again with some of our neighbours! The majority of our neighbours are good people trying to work their way out of the situation they have found thrmselves in, oe else have very genuine reasons for needing all the help they can get. But others have never worked a day in their life nor have any intention of doing so! And yet they have better cars and better holidays and the best of everything in their houses and we can just never get our heads around it! My husband has come home from a tough week in work before to meet such neighbours heading off to las vegas for the 2nd time in a year having just got a new car the week before, anf hes busing it cos our car is broken down and we cant afford to get it fixed and he literally came in and started crying from the sheer frustration of it! And they are always out bragging about getting something else of the social welfare. I think the welfare need to have someone on the ground checking what is being got out of their payments or at the very least home checks should apply before any handout is giving cos it can be very clear to see some people are not living in poverty at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

lorsgirls wrote: »
    To clarify, we temporarily got knocked down by the recession a few years back. Thankfully we were one of the lucky ones that got housed quite quickly. We have worked very hard to get back on our feet. My husband works 50+ hours a week and i take every shift i can possibly get. We pay one of the higher rates of council rent now. When we went to notify the council of the birth of our last baby we were told there is now too many of us living in a 3 bed house and we are classed as overcrowded. We didnt go looking for a bigger house. We were told it would take approx 3 years for the transfer and we are on the priority list. I'm actually quite anxious at the thoughts of moving. Having worked so hard, we still are not in a position to buy our own private house, however we think think we would be able to buy out our house under the new tenant purchase scheme. My reason for wanting other peoples opinions on how long it took is because we are trying to work out if we should hold out for a year or 2 in hopes of getting the bigger house and then buying it from the council or if everyone has waited much longer and there kids are grown by the time a transfer comes around would we be better to bite the bullet and buy the house we are in now. I would also love to know if people who did get transfers got them in the local area or if they ended up moving far as our children are settled and happy in schools etc and i dont like the idea of moving somewhere too far, thanks for any helpful advice.

Can the house be extended?

mad m wrote: »
    Can the house be extended?

Its Fingal Co. Co.- they have done some house extensions in the last calendar year- however, the average vacant period for a property undergoing significant renovation (they don't specify extensions) is 64 weeks. In addition- the OP would not be permitted to reside in the property once it has gone out to tender for the 'major renovations'- they'd be homeless again (doubtless offered accommodation elsewhere)- and they'd not have any guarantee that they'd be offered the extended/renovated property back again- when it was eventually complete.........

Add onto all of this- if their property is in a residential area- all it takes is one neighbour to lodge their 15 Euro to object to a planning application- and you're back at square one- albeit with the OP housed elsewhere...........

No- is the short and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Old thread i understand but still feel it is the right place to post.

So i'm a father of 4 children of both genders.

My O/H and i are expecting twins.

We live in a 3 bed council house,are we eligible for a transfer or extension?

6 kids from newborn to 10 is what it will be.

We like where we are but wouldn't argue if we got transferred to a bigger property.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

We live in a 3 bed council house,are we eligible for a transfer or extension?

Quite simply, you need to take this up with the local authority. It may come down to need and the waiting list but only the LA can tell you.

Quite simply, you need to take this up with the local authority. It may come down to need and the waiting list but only the LA can tell you.

Thanks for that. Will make enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

Disgraceful system grinds my gears

Disgraceful system grinds my gears

What does exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

theres loads of empty houses out the country, why not ship them out there. It happens in the UK, beggars cant be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

theres loads of empty houses out the country, why not ship them out there. It happens in the UK, beggars cant be choosers.

Yes, set up a few gulags in Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

What does exactly?

People who can't financially support the children they have yet have more. Don't worry, the system (the rest of us) will foot the bill!

Advertisement