Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 bedroom council house

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Klonker wrote: »
    People who can't financially support the children they have yet have more. Don't worry, the system (the rest of us) will foot the bill!

I do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I do work.

I never said you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think the point they're making is that you're currently living in a council house so therefore subsidised and are having more kids and looking for the state to worry about your accomodation after the fact, rather than living within your means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Maybe council houses should come with a lifetime supply of birth control?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I do work.

Six kids and you can't afford a house? Most people have the amount of kids that they can afford.

As a matter of interest, what rent do council tenants pay for a house in comparison to the private rental market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think the point is:

If I wasn't able to afford / didn't have the space for more kids, i wouldn t have them.
    I wouldn't expect someone else to intervene and enlarge my house for me

Six kids and you can't afford a house? Most people have the amount of kids that they can afford.

As a matter of interest, what rent do council tenants pay for a house in comparison to the private rental market?

I got mortgage approval but there's nothing I can afford.

The approval is based on my wages which are low in my industry.

I already pay €140 a week in rent which for a council house is extortionate, considering the normal amount is €25 per week.

I'd gladly take the mortgage from any of you good people in return for my council house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod: as stated earlier in the thread. Constructive posts please, this is not a thread to bash people on the housing lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No one is paying 25 a week for a council house. There is a minimum charging in place per dwelling type. I also doubt you are paying 140 as under the differential rent scheme methodology you would actually be ineligible for the continuation of social housing support.

If you are paying 140, someone in the council is in trouble I think. If the calculations returned that, you should be out of the house as you are now over the limits for continued social housing support and you will need to find a place to rent privately.

What council is it? I would look into it op, they could be overcharging you.

myshirt wrote: »
    No one is paying 25 a week for a council house. There is a minimum charging in place per dwelling type. I also doubt you are paying 140 as under the differential rent scheme methodology you would actually be ineligible for the continuation of social housing support.

If you are paying 140, someone in the council is in trouble I think. If the calculations returned that, you should be out of the house as you are now over the limits for continued social housing support. You need to rent privately.

What council is it? I would look into it op.

Half of Cork is paying €25 a week. €23 being the minimum. Where I come from is pro dominantly council housing.

As for what I'm paying, that isn't just for me.

There's nothing with it. I know if a few people paying over the €100 mark.

Nothing unusual there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If you are paying 140, someone in the council is in trouble I think. If the calculations returned that, you should be out of the house as you are now over the limits for continued social housing support and you will need to find a place to rent privately.

There's two small two bed council cottages next door to my mothers house, (semi rural area)- the couple there are paying €650/month in rent to the council. As far as I know they're in the process of buying that house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The rent is a % of your income, if you start earning more then you start paying more. I've never heard of anyone having their home taken away from them because they start earning more than what initially made them eligible for social housing.

Half of Cork is paying €25 a week. €23 being the minimum. Where I come from is pro dominantly council housing.

As for what I'm paying, that isn't just for me.

There's nothing with it. I know if a few people paying over the €100 mark.

Nothing unusual there.

You are right, Cork Coco €25 charge for a Council House. Documents online for anyone who wants them. Was amended by directors order 6 months ago. They are supposed to standardise it across the country over the next while, but always the rebels Cork :)

I apologise sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

100 a month.

Jesus this country is only going one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I also doubt you are paying 140 as under the differential rent scheme methodology you would actually be ineligible for the continuation of social housing support.

Sadly that is not how it works in good 'ole Ireland.

Once you're in a council house, you have it for life or until you decide to give it back - no matter how much your circumstances improve.

Under differential rent, your rent increases with your income but only up to a certain threshold. I don't know what the numbers are any more, but in places like Dublin the threshold is still well below the market rent for a similar place - whereas in Leitrim (or similar) council tenants could be paying well more than market rent if their income had gone up. Even in the latter cases, the incentive to stay is that a council tenancy is for life, not just for anti-Christmas.

It's crying out for reform - especially as it means that it takes families a lot longer than it should to get housing that meets their needs. But it won't be reformed, because of the weird idea that raising kids somewhere means you have to live there in that very house (not a smaller unit around the corner) forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Yes, set up a few gulags in Leitrim.

To go along with my junkie leper colony on spike island.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gerrro

Anyone know how they calculate the rent, what percentage of income etc

gerrro wrote: »
    Anyone know how they calculate the rent, what percentage of income etc

It is a differential rent (Google it), and they have not yet standardised it across the country. Different councils are applying different rules. For example, only 25euro a week if you are on the scratcher in Cork. That's excellent. If you had a Mortgage and lost your job or the kids got sick or anything, you'd find yourself in hot water extremely quick. This system follows your income. Couple that with the fact that you can get a 50% discount on the house if you want to buy it, it's a great deal, though most would just rent as the council are then responsible for repairs and maintenance etc, and you don't have house insurance or property tax etc, just 25 a week or more.

Roughly you will pay 20% of your takehome, or as low as 10% if it is Cork coco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Sorry don't have time right now to read whole thread. But OP do your CC offer inter-transfers? Maybe you can enquire someone might want to downgrade from a 4 bed to a 3 bed? Both of you can do a swop etc.

Advertisement