Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey, hey, hey, hey, what is going on here? [Forum changes]

Options
  • 17-06-2016 4:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All you'll all have noticed (if you're reading this thread), we have our new 'Food' forum! We're migrating everything from Cakes & Bakes, Snacks & Sweets, Cooking & Recipes and Food & Drink in here over the next day or so. I thought this thread might be useful if anyone has any queries :)

Some predicted FAQs:

Q. What will happen to the old subforums?

A. The content will be moved in here and the old subforums will be hidden from view.

Q. How do I unfollow/unsubscribe from those subforums?

A. Let me get back to you on that. They may disappear from your "My Forums" list when they're hidden, but currently I can't see a way to manually unfollow them. I'll check with the admins.

Click the following links!

To unsubscribe from Cooking & Recipes, click http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&f=610

To unsubscribe from Cakes & Bakes, click http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&f=492

To unsubscribe from Snacks & Sweets, click http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&f=505

To unsubscribe from the main Food & Drink forum, click http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&f=35

Q. What do these changes mean for me?

A. Nothing, hopefully! We're aiming for increased traffic by consolidating the forums. This reduces the amount of threads that we need to move between forums, and reduces a 'splintering' effect.

Q. But I only care about X type of threads!

A. No problem! Tags are now mandatory, so you can refine the thread list to only show the ones with your preferred tag. Look towards the top of the screen, underneath the "Follow Forum" button, and select the tag you want to see from the dropdown list.

BKn7Avf.jpg

If you have any other questions relating to this change, you can post them below. We'll answer what we can :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Tags take a bit of getting used to on the visual side. :cool:

Not a complaint, btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, they're a bit ugly alright :/. But coloured tags could be garish?

We'll revisit in a couple of months and see how everyone is finding them. They might not be necessary when everyone is used to the changes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The old forums disappear from "my forums" without doing much work. Sadly, the new forum doesn't show on the legacy skin, so you might find any posters using that take a while to show up (like me!).

Tree wrote: »
    The old forums disappear from "my forums" without doing much work. Sadly, the new forum doesn't show on the legacy skin, so you might find any posters using that take a while to show up (like me!).

How do you mean, "doesn't show up", Tree? I'm on the legacy skin and I can see it both in the forum drop-down and when I click "Food & Drink".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

It's only showing up on my dropdown once i added followed Food. But it doesn't appear in the Rec super forum drop down say. (I seem to be on a very very legacy skin :-/ They don't bother to update forum changes to it). Tbh I was wondering why cakes and bakes /C&R/F&D had suddenly gotten so quiet :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, they're a bit ugly alright :/. But coloured tags could be garish?

We'll revisit in a couple of months and see how everyone is finding them. They might not be necessary when everyone is used to the changes.

I think it's partly the quantity and the colour of tags. Touch of screen glare going on.

Tree wrote: »
    It's only showing up on my dropdown once i added followed Food. But it doesn't appear in the Rec super forum drop down say. (I seem to be on a very very legacy skin :-/ They don't bother to update forum changes to it). Tbh I was wondering why cakes and bakes /C&R/F&D had suddenly gotten so quiet :)

Ah right, it sounds like you're not even on the beta skin with the new headings. I'm not sure that a lot of people would be using a skin that old, so maybe new forums aren't getting added to those dropdowns as a whole.
    I think it's partly the quantity and the colour of tags. Touch of screen glare going on.

I'll see if they can be changed to a softer colour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is the thread title a Mr. Belding reference?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is the thread title a Mr. Belding reference?

19919showing.PNG

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had to google Mr. Belding :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Kids today

keane2097 wrote: »
    Kids today

Comin' over here, stealing our iForks...

Alrighty, thanks to the lovely Admins, tags are much more subtle now (but still work the same).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My first time checking out Baking since all the changes. To me it looks like someone opened my filing cabinet and threw all my files in a heap. I preferred the neatness of the previous system. Life goes on though I suppose but messier. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

All the baking threads are tagged with 'Baking', Jellybaby, so you can filter the forum to show only them.

IYyStYS.png

Even with tags, it still looks messy to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

All the baking threads are tagged with 'Baking', Jellybaby, so you can filter the forum to show only them.

IYyStYS.png

I didn't know that, and now it's all making sense to me... :o

When you filter you just see all the threads with the same tag, so it's like they're in a forum of their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Even with tags, it still looks messy to me.
    I agree. Although you can filter the posts to only include one tag, you can't filter out the ones you're not interested in, for instance I'm primarily interested in Cooking and General (whatever that's supposed to be), but not in Snacking or Baking, so can't just select the ones I'm interested in and ignore the others. I either have to constantly switch between the two using the menu, or leave the filter off and scan it "manually". A retrograde step IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The place is a mess, the more the admins mess with boards the worse it gets.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The place is a mess, the more the admins mess with boards the worse it gets.

The admins were only responsible for implementing the changes requested by the forum mods. These changes were implemented following a consultation period with the users of the various food and drink forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Yup, we visited this upon you & not the admins. And, honestly, very much believe we made the right choice. We can't make everyone happy (and know that some people find the tags grating on the eyes) but there were good reasons for the changes, chief amongst them that by themselves the Cakes & Bakes and Snacks & Sweets forum were practically dead, they got very very few posts.

So we appreciate that some posters legitimately find their experience here changed for the worse but we'd love if you gave it a chance, hung around & kept posting :)

We will of course get used to it. We'll just get used to 'messy'. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I felt I had to reply to say I like the new format. Nobody likes change. It takes a bit of getting used to but I like it. Its more user friendly.
    Well done to everyone who asked for feedback and worked on the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I prefer it as well. No more having to click into multiple forums within the Food "genre".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi there

Some of my old posts re baking seem to have disappeared.
    Are they gone for good since the tags were introduced or is there some way I can find them please?

I went through all "my posts" but can't find my old posts in the baking sections.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi there

Some of my old posts re baking seem to have disappeared.
    Are they gone for good since the tags were introduced or is there some way I can find them please?

I went through all "my posts" but can't find my old posts in the baking sections.

Thanks for any help.
    Check out this link. It should contain all the posts you've made in the forum. It may be that not all threads from the Baking forum have actually been tagged.

Check out this link. It should contain all the posts you've made in the forum. It may be that not all threads from the Baking forum have actually been tagged.

Hi Hill Billy

Thanks for looking, unfortunately they're not in that link.

If it's any help, one post I'm looking for was a discussion about what apples to use for Apple Tart, I think I started it by asking what apples others use as I need to add a lot of sugar to mine.(I tested different types of apples and found one combination successful.)

The other post I'm looking for was about soaking fruit for a Christmas cake. I made a mess of the soaking. (actually turned out lovely I want to copy whatever I did.)

If there's any chance you could find those posts that'd be great.
    No worries if they're gone.

Many Thanks,
    Lj.

Apples for Apple Tarts

Christmas Cake - soaking Fruit

I found these using the search function for posts made by you & keywords of 'apple', then 'Christmas' - but not specifying what forum the posts were made in.

Thanks very much for that.
    I went through all my posts, 41 pages, but those postings didn't display.

• Advertisement

I think that the search function is still linking the posts to Cakes & Bakes instead of Food. I'll raise it with the tech team.

Advertisement