Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not so nice tenants

Options
  • 17-06-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    seeking advice have tenants in my house whom have no interest in getting out regardless of the fact that I served them notice and so on...
    all round disaster there is alway a problem and they are never happy... tentant always lying and saying i owe her for damages to her items... its all hear say and they are horrid I feel sick to my stomach and the accusations and stress is making me ill...
    I am with PRTB but they dont seem to care... just said make sure your paperwork is all in order to cover you.

Is there any chance I can just bolt in there and take possession of my home... was thinking of taking the front door off lol

seriously my anxiety is through the roof!

any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Are they still paying rent?
    Have they damaged the property in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Doing anything to force them to leave would be considered an illegal eviction. You must exhaust the RTB process to serve notice and get a determination order to do everything above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Niamh1980

Rent was fine for first while and then we had to hound them and do the usual letters of formality.

I am being told that they are holding me responsible for damage to their belongings up to 1000 euro... and its not right... they are totally getting away with this and stated that they wont be leaving my home in a few months when their lease is up regardless of the fact I have formally told them I am moving home...

I am so sick and torn apart... what to do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Niamh1980 wrote: »
    Rent was fine for first while and then we had to hound them and do the usual letters of formality.

I am being told that they are holding me responsible for damage to their belongings up to 1000 euro... and its not right... they are totally getting away with this and stated that they wont be leaving my home in a few months when their lease is up regardless of the fact I have formally told them I am moving home...

I am so sick and torn apart... what to do :(

How did the damage happen?

there was water damage to furniture apparantly ... there was a problem upstairs and there was a plumbing issue and all of a sudden there were claims of damage in sitting room... you can notice a slight water mark in the ceiling but it was not enough to cause the said damages... we are being conned to be honest... I am an honest person and love the easy life and I dont know why this is happening to me.. its not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

there was water damage to furniture apparantly ... there was a problem upstairs and there was a plumbing issue and all of a sudden there were claims of damage in sitting room... you can notice a slight water mark in the ceiling but it was not enough to cause the said damages... we are being conned to be honest... I am an honest person and love the easy life and I dont know why this is happening to me.. its not right.

I would have thought it was the duty of the tenant to inform you of any leaks etc so you could rectify. Anyone with any common sense would move their stuff and put a bucket under the leak especially if it was causing damage to belongings

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You should refer the tenants to their insurers to claim on their own contents policy. I would pretty much ignore the ' you owe me XXXX for damages' conversations, if they start and try to deduct 'damages' from the rent it will only make your case with the PRTB stronger.

Do not try and illegally evict them, don't wind yourself up into a state where you feel you must address their eviction immediately. Nothing good will come of either.

Send the appropriate legal demands for late payment, follow up with the 28 day notice if necessary. Continue the case with the PRTB and try not to let this become the centre of your life while the whole thing goes on (easier said than done).

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The PRTB is just another waste of money for the landlord. It will 90% side with the tenant and even if it goes in favour of the landlord it means nothing to get a decision enforced means more bills to take a court case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

what a joke how governments cant bring in laws to protect landlords from bad tenants so they can get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

audi12 wrote: »
    what a joke how governments cant bring in laws to protect landlords from bad tenants so they can get rid of them.

Landlords are now seen as evil thanks to Ruth and her pals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- I am conscious of this not turning into a landlord versus tenant- or indeed a social welfare bashing thread- so please be cognisant that you are going to have both landlords and tenants (and numerous other interested parties)- viewing this and similar threads. No broad sweeping generalisations please.

Thanks guys for your support.

I suppose that i must keep plodding on and wait till the tenancy ends.. going to be a long summer and autumn!

best regards and thanks again

disheartened landlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thanks guys for your support.

I suppose that i must keep plodding on and wait till the tenancy ends.. going to be a long summer and autumn!

best regards and thanks again

disheartened landlord!

Been a landlord is not an easy job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Been a landlord is not an easy job

let it out on air b and b only job instead of wasting time with bad tenants thats what I would do if I had a house

Advertisement