Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Versa Pod or Harris

• 17-06-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Guys

Am looking to buy a half decent bipod, I have a couple of cheap ones liying around. I was looking at some sites and came across the Versa Pod.

The idea of being able to quickly detach the bipod is nice as I have a sling which holds two rifles but not with bipods attached, so begin able to remove the bipod without having to undo the screw seems good.

However, are they any good, has anyone used them.

Or should I just stop being a lazy git and buy the harris and undo the screw.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Harris.

Cheaper, great quality, easy to resell, and doesn't need the adaptor the versa pod needs.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Cass wrote: »
    Harris.

Cheaper, great quality, easy to resell, and doesn't need the adaptor the versa pod needs.

Cass, can you recommend where to buy Harris, every where I've seen they're more expensive than the Versa Pod. I'm not saying money is no issue, but I'd rather buy something that will last etc which the Harris will.

Have they come down in price? The versa pods. Mine was a lot more when i bought it for my Sauer. Although that was a few years ago so maybe i'm off with prices.

I'd still go with the Harris. Of course i could throw a spanner i the works and start a big fight by saying look for Deben. Same quality (imo) as Harris, same features, heights, etc. all for 30% less. Average of €75-€80 for the swivel model compared to Harris at €109. The bigger you go the more it costs.

My Versa pod was expensive enough, but it sat too low on the rifle (never folded up tight), was never really 100% tight when folded up, and it never felt as secure or tight when down and shooting off it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Have they come down in price? The versa pods. Mine was a lot more when i bought it for my Sauer. Although that was a few years ago so maybe i'm off with prices.

I'd still go with the Harris. Of course i could throw a spanner i the works and start a big fight by saying look for Deben. Same quality (imo) as Harris, same features, heights, etc. all for 30% less. Average of €75-€80 for the swivel model compared to Harris at €109. The bigger you go the more it costs.

My Versa pod was expensive enough, but it sat too low on the rifle (never folded up tight), was never really 100% tight when folded up, and it never felt as secure or tight when down and shooting off it.

Where are you seeing Harris bipods for €109, anywhere I look original Harris bipods are €200 for swivel with notched legs.

I was getting prices from McBrides and a few other sites, but holy sh*t.

Just done a check. The Harris have gone up by a huge amount. The most i've seen them for was €139 for the 13-25, swivel, etc. Now they are €174. You can still get the 6-12 for €99, but the rest are €140 up.

I've also noted a huge difference in price between shops. Some are selling the 9-13 for €100 and others for €139. Same model, height, swivel, etc.

It's why i suggested, for price alone, to look at Deben. The 6-12, swivel in deben is €75. In Harris its €110.

Price aside i'd still recommend a Harris style one. but it's only my preference for the reasons above.

• Advertisement

Ordered a Harris 6-9" Swivel from the UK, £97 including delivery which wasn't bad considering the price of them these days.

Think a lot of things have gone up in price with the exchange rate being so back against pretty much every other currency. :(

I've been checking as many places as i can think of and it seems the prices vary, but are all much higher than i remember, and not all bipods had everything you wanted so think you done the best thing and ordered what you wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I was reading a few reviews on the versa pod and they were mixed enough so I ****canned that idea.

Saw the prices of the Harris and I put a few wanted adds on a few forums here and in the UK. I got an immaculate 2nd hand Harris from the UK, for half the price of a new one. I stuck a podlock on it too.

I had previously the exact same model in a deben 9-13 notched swivel, the deben is junk by comparison. The Spring buttons on the legs didn't work and the legs didn't fold up straight. You can't beat a Harris.

This is the second Harris I have the other is a 13 to 27 swivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I got my Harris bipod from these company last year. Now I did order 3 of them and worked out good be cheaper than buying here so don't know if it'll be the same just buying one. Before the customs issue arises I didn't pay customs fees so you run the risk paying charges of your order is checked so bare it in mind. http://www.bipodbuddy.com/harris.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

You might find the 6-9 too short if your using it in the field, mainly used for bench shooting...

Even with it at 9, you can be caught for height in fields with bits of long grass or small bumps.

9-13 is much more practical..

snipersystems is another good bipod.
    I have one on my .243 an cant fault it, lifetime guarantee too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement