Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to work from home.

Options
  • 17-06-2016 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for any advice I have three school going children and would love to work from home. Are there any reputable websites or businesses out there.

Baring in mind I don't have 3rd level qualifications, my previous work was secretarial / administration
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your better off asking in work and jobs, thread on working for Apple here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057207459&page=68 and I think Amazon do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What skills do you have that you have developed outside of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

First thing I'd suggest you do is search for "work from home" and "biz op" (business opportunity) and look carefully through the websites that show.

All of these are exactly the kind of websites you need to run a mile from. Do not, under any circumstances, send them any information, or download and run any programs from there.

Anything that looks like "My friend Mary earns €1,400 a week with a simple job that takes her 2 hours every afternoon", fake news websites, anything like that is a scam.

Consider what you can do that could add value to a business. Are you technical or financially minded? Could you learn how to manage social media, or a WordPress website, or do books?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I just had a look at one of the slickest "Home-Based Business" offerings. Reading between the lines, it's a pyramid scheme. A lot of talk about 10,000 active partners, training and systems, earning a Mercedes as a reward. I love this:
    "I caution our partners to only talk about the [..] Motors program with individuals who have already had some success with the program. The idea of earning a [..] "Motor" through affiliate sales can be a little mind-blowing for newbies!

which is then followed by a page with headline 'Would you like to get an email with the subject "Congrats, you now qualify for your [..] Motors Car!"' and photos of 6 people with new Mercs. I wonder when the other 9,994 folks are getting their new cars...

The irritating thing is that plenty of the techniques and terminology (e.g. "front-end sales", "back-end sales") are completely legitimate in business when not part of a pyramid scheme, so it's hard to identify one particular thing to avoid. Maybe just the concept of "if it looks too good to be true...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

littelady wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for any advice I have three school going children and would love to work from home. Are there any reputable websites or businesses out there.

Baring in mind I don't have 3rd level qualifications, my previous work was secretarial / administration
    Thanks in advance.

Are you looking to work for yourself or an employer from home? Hard to imagine a business paying for a secretary/admin assistant who works offsite and finishes before typical business hours (if you want to be free for school run). In that case, you may need to get creative, perhaps move away from secretarial work into something more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Seems they have lost interest. Logging in but not replying to this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

jimmii wrote: »
    Seems they have lost interest. Logging in but not replying to this at all.
    Not a candidate for taking in typing/secretarial. (The mind boggles at 'baring in mind') :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

Many thanks for all your responses, its much appreciated. I appologise for not responding earlier and it does appear that I was rude but this was not my intention. I have gained part time employment,I will be book keeping for a local business. Thx again. Appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cavan Bear

Not a candidate for taking in typing/secretarial. (The mind boggles at 'baring in mind') :eek:

This could be a typo, especially if typed on a phone. My phone has auto correct which I cannot remove, I type like an illiterate drunk most of the time now.
    Anyway I am glad that the OP appears to be sorted now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement