Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animals with "human" names

• 17-06-2016 6:18pm

Am I alone in thinking this is just adorable? One of the families on Gogglebox have dogs called Frank and Dave. I've met a dog called Jonathan too. My cats' names are Amelia and Corey (I didn't name Corey though!). I had a budgie called Mark for 12 years. I know a horse called Tony too!

Some human names are kinda normal on animals, like my old horse Harvey and say my landlord's dog called Jessie. But I crack up at things like a cat called Aoife, or a hamster called John.

Am I just weird or do others think the same?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Each to their own. I find it a bit confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I love it too. A friend has a dog called Stephen.
    I name my pets after other animals (Bear the cat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

In our family - past and present

Millie. Dog
    Frisky. Cat
    Bebe dog
    Lanie cat
    Jessie dog
    Ruby dog
    Marvyn cat
    Fuji cat
    Ford cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Heard of a dog called Seamus in Carrickmacross once!

Heard of a dog called Seamus in Carrickmacross once!

That was the name of the dog in "Room" too. Got a laugh out of the audience when I saw it in cinema! I knew of a boa constrictor called Sarah once as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I've always named pets with human names, usually after actors or singers or characters, Nick Heyward the dog, George Baily the dog, Archie Leech the dog and Babs Windsor the cat to name but a few over the years, we also have a Lily but she came with that name and wasn't meant to be staying....oh we also had Rizzo and Frenchy the cats, next dog will be Dorothy Gale....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Had a cat called George, when I talked about him to other people they think it's a person till I explain. "Just bringing some food home for George" get some funny looks.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I've always named pets with human names, usually after actors or singers or characters, Nick Heyward the dog, George Baily the dog, Archie Leech the dog and Babs Windsor the cat to name but a few over the years, we also have a Lily but she came with that name and wasn't meant to be staying....oh we also had Rizzo and Frenchy the cats, next dog will be Dorothy Gale....

Actually the budgie Mark was called Mark Greany after the lead singer of JJ72; he was bought as company for JJ!
    Had a cat called George, when I talked about him to other people they think it's a person till I explain. "Just bringing some food home for George" get some funny looks.

I had a George too! And what got me started on this thread was writing on Facebook that I accidentally boxed Amelia in the face this morning. Then thinking "I really hope my friends know Amelia is a cat and not a friend or housemate!" That happened a while back when I said Amelia was lying on another housemate's lap, the little slut. A friend replied with "I really hope Amelia is a pet."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I've got an Eddie and a Joe (cats)

They were rescued outside Eddie Rockets - now Rockin' Joes :D

I think the best ever was a big fat fluffy cat called Deirdre. I was rolling around laughing after meeting her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Our dog is Mo as in Farah. He was originally going to be Frank, as in Pope but when we picked him up we decided he wasn't a Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

Brendan is my dogs name..already named when we got him..but it suits him :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I think its a good thing. Better than calling your pet pooch "Socks".

Guilty :(

DamoNolan wrote: »
    Brendan is my dogs name..already named when we got him..but it suits him :D:D

I knew a Great Dane called Brendan. Funnier cause he was named that by our Lithuanian housemate, who wanted a nice Irish name for his dog.

Elemonator wrote: »
    I think its a good thing. Better than calling your pet pooch "Socks".

Guilty :(

Sometimes Socks is the better option. My brother when he was a kid had a cat and a budgie, we had lots of each, the budgies were my responsiblity. Cat was Socks. Budgie was Jean Claude Van Damme.

I used to call the bird Claude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I currently have a dog called Doug, he's a rescue that came back into me, he was Bluff when he was originally here. I also have a Max, but even though thats a human name, there are probably more dogs with the name than men lol Max seems fine, but Doug makes me laugh all the time, seems so odd for a dog.

Used to have Gus, named after Gus Poyet. He was originally called Neo - from The Matrix but I didn't like it, so changed it to Gus, which really suited him. The day he died my son and I sat and watched Spurs play Chelsea (Poyet played for both of them) then The Matrix came on, and we watched that. Gus passed away about an hour after the film finished, he had lymphoma.

What do you call a man with a shovel in his head? Doug.

What do you call a man without a shovel in his head? Douglas.

Sue Townsend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

What do you call a man with a shovel in his head? Doug.

What do you call a man without a shovel in his head? Douglas.

Sue Townsend!

Don't forget what do you call a man with fifty rabbits up his bum!
    Warren :P

Used to love Adrian Mole.

There's a current trend at home for naming the feral cats after people, though they all tend to be characters from shows. So we've had Harvey Specter, Donna and Louis, Graham and the current one is Troy Mcclure.

I've met a few Georges and Franks, and even a couple of dogs called Dave in the last while. Our next dog will probably be called Trevor, though I have no idea why that name is sticking :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Nelson was a south African mastiff named after Nelson Mandela! Bruce was already named when I got him from rescue and jo jo a greyhound whose race name was going to be no thanks joe. Joe was her breeder who dropped her off at our house even though we didn't want another greyhound. Have heard of a few children called nala but I picked her name after lion king. Also used to have a collie called meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Know of an Irish wolfhound by the name of Sé and a Jack Russell by the the name of Seamy. My own dog is called Cara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I seem to have had a mix of names for pets. Let's see.

Nero: Labrador
    Mutt: Yorkie (I know. My Mam thought her kennels name of "Princess Gemma" was too fancy so she wanted to bring her down to earth!)
    Sheba: Beagle
    Max: cat
    Molly: cat
    Paddo: cat (named after my brothers friend who I still say he looked like...)
    Mushu: cat
    Fergal: hamster
    Isabella: hamster
    Meg: collie
    Twitch: hamster
    Shade: cat.

I like when a name suits the animal though. We spent ages trying to come up with the right names for all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

My dog is called Oliver or Ollie for short! :D he is a black retriever mix

My horse is called Hasna which is an Arabic human name - she is an Arabian horse.

Scoobie doesn't count!

My bearded dragons are bebop and rocksteady - I tend to lean towards cartoon characters over human names!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I love it too. A friend has a dog called Stephen.
    I name my pets after other animals (Bear the cat).
    Was he in Dublin by any chance? I remember walking along the canal once and there was a man whose dog was acting up, and I overheard him saying 'For God's sake Stephen, I've already told you once!'

My dogs have kind of people names; being named after characters from Sci-Fi: Rani, Tegan, and Finn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I have a nerite snail called Muriel, I don't normally name them but once she made it past 3 years old I felt she deserved one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mine all have human names. Dogs are Sandra Dee ( she came to us with that so we kept it ) and Robert or Bob for short. Cat is Richard O'Brien after the Crystal Maze host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Cats called Bonnie and Clyde and later ones Will and Grace. Trouble is it's a little sad if one of them dies, which happens ( Grace is alone now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I can't believe when I posted last night that I forgot about Vincent, my one eared wooly husky. So named because he only has one ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

My brothers dog is called Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Oh names for animals in our house can lead to bloodshed and definitely a low level war or two.

Sheldon - cat current
    Bella & Skokie - past guinea pigs
    Gandalf & Aragorn, past goldfish

Milly, current JRT, from Dickens novel
    Sam, westie X, short for Samwise Gamgee.
    Pippin, past dog.

Oh now the foster kittens.
    Percy male
    Artemis & Athena are two females. Artemis is goddess of hunt & chastity (quite apt really as kitten will be nurtured). And Athena is the goddess of battle tactics.

Can't remember any of older animals. This year we are working from Greek pantheon,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

My cat is called Nigel. Really suits him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Stigura

I heard of a lurcher, called Leonard. " Leonard the Lurcher ". Legendary!

I have a canary here, I call " Dog ". Don't even ask why :rolleyes:

Then, I have a Linnet Mule. (Cross between a canary and a linnet) I call him " Phil " .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My friends have cats called Paul and Bort

And one of the dogs is Jasper, a bit oldy timey but still a people name.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Nobodies mentioned Thomas the dog!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Off the top of my head from our park ... :p

Bailey
    Lucy
    Missy
    Dermot
    Dave
    Fionn
    Poppy
    Flo
    Seamus
    Paddy
    Daithi
    Oliver/Ollie
    Penny
    Jack
    Kenny
    Milo
    Charlie
    Toby
    Lola
    Peter
    Tash
    Sue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We had Bridget the budgie when we were very young, then a Sammy and Tweety (suuuuuper original :pac: )
    Our first ever dog was Cuddles, second was Brandy and third was Shadow. Shadow was actually my 16th birthday present and I fought tooth and nail to have him named Patrick (he was a collie-bernese cross) but my mother was afraid of offending any Patricks she knew :p
    Our newest addition (who we've had close on two years now) is Opie. He was very much almost going to be Steve for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

C60ECA89-83AC-4A40-B58C-9907B80E3D66_zpstergn3h7.jpg

Hugo and Jack. Couldn't imagine calling my dogs anything other than 'human' names. Sure Hugo even looks like a Hugo!!! And Jacks name suits his personality perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I may be the only one here but I prefer keeping human names to humans! I do have a dog called Phoebe but 1. she was a rescue and didn't want to change her name and 2. Phoebe isn't the most common human name so I can live with it.

I just think shouting "John" or "Paul" at your lil Maltese who's busy chasing squirrels is a bit odd. Rover and Fido all the way! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We used to have a cat called Adolf back home in Germany. My mom named him, he had a white face and little square patch of black just over his mouth...

Highly embarassing calling him in at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Our dog is called Paddy.

Paddy the shih tzu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Dogs - Harry & Hans
    Cats - George & Ringo, Sophie, Siouxsie & Tiger Lilly
    one of the Guinea pigs was called Georgie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Neighbor had a dog named Eimear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

This year I am naming the foster kittens after the Greek Pantheon. (last year it was nerdverse)

So at the moment we have Percy, Athena, and Artemis.

We tend to get to know animals before naming, hence cat is Sheldon, the dog is samwise gamgee. The worst part is, the names are appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shenshen wrote: »
    Highly embarassing calling him in at night.
    Mate had a dog called Keith, its the normal names that seem so odd. I remember his mother out screaming down the road and across a green area "Keith! Keith! KKKKEITHHHH!!!" and some poor woman looking around all flustered thinking a child was missing or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

My boyfriends daughter has a cat in her mams house called 'Philip' and i actually couldnt stop laughing when she told me first- dont know why i found it so funny!! Wouldnt be a cat name in my head. She thinks its gas when i laugh at it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

My dog's name is Sally.

A friend has a collie named Jimmy. It's funny when she calls him though I do admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I called my two boys Charlie and Archie, and I had two previous girls called Chloe and Ally!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

We have a cat called Boris after Boris Johnson. Not because we like his politics, but because he's tubby and blonde and disheveled looking and so is our cat! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My guys name is Cody albeit an american name.. Cody the cocker although i wanted to call him Murphy :D

next dog will def have a "human" name sure why not!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

A woman i know called her dog Linda. Very funny when she's calling her in the park. "Come here linda" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

i actually hate the rover, max, and whats considered "normal" dog names... :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement