Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animals with "human" names

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Max is a human name too though...;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Both mine have human names, but not by choice (they arrived with person-names).

The foster pup we named ourselves is called after an obscure place-name. I think it's lovely but it's a nightmare having to explain it / spell it whenever she meets someone... Next time I name a dog it'll be "Bob"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Heard of a dog called Seamus in Carrickmacross once!

theres a song about that!

My horse is called Harry. Not a fan of it but it suits him.

When he's naughty he's Harold!

My previous horse was Mel, he was a hunk though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

My dog is Bob, Robert when he's bold.

Horse was Lucy, Lucifer when she was bold.

Cat was Stan, Stanislaus when he was bold....

Obviously I'm ok with people names! Some can be really cute though, I'd a friend who had a lab called Lyn, I always thought that was adorable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

all mine have human names, lol. some themes going on .

Our first 3 cats were a momma and her babies so they were called marge, bart and lisa. we then got Fred (the red)( there isa fred in the simpsons), Homer, Mo, Smithers. Then we got snowball, who was white but we were continueing the theme, i wanted to call her snowball 10 but wasnt allowed. We also have Xena (warrior princess) and Rose (Badwolf).
    Jessie is the dog.
    The hens , weve had a few over the yrs and some themes were the golden girls, orphan black, dr who. We still have Goldie, Sophia, Song and Helena. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭foreman

Dog is barney

Barns when he is good...

Just met a dog tonight who's name was Alan!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Growing up we had a dog called Terry. He was long-lived, and family friends used to refer to him in conversation by his Full Name, as in "Terry Surname". When he died, some of our friends were talking about him, saying "Did you hear that poor old Terry Surname died? They buried him that night in the garden." People overheard and were shocked to think they meant a Human person! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

We called our Chocolate lab Genevieve, after the dog in Madeline.

47b38fca28bf8616689c92922bd5fd8d.jpg

The kids got sick very quickly of me putting on a stupid French accent.. and we shortened it to Jenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Dogs name is Sam, which has only caused confusion once when a friend was visiting with his toddler son, also called Sam. The kid picked up the kong and got confused when he was told he could play with that it was for Sam to eat his dinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Used to have a goldfish called Lisa. I wanted to name it/her(?) Wanda, as in "A Fish Called Wanda", but my kids were too young to get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Eeden wrote: »
    Used to have a goldfish called Lisa. I wanted to name it/her(?) Wanda, as in "A Fish Called Wanda", but my kids were too young to get that.

When I was a kid, I had goldfish called Madge and Harold.

An old friend had a cat called Elliot Parker. I love the idea of giving an animal their own surname!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We just got OKed for a rescue pup, our 7 year old had a name picked out already, Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

hairyslug wrote: »
    We just got OKed for a rescue pup, our 7 year old had a name picked out already, Brendan

We picked up a 7 year old rescue last Thursday, was told her name was Kate, after 4 days of getting ignored by her when calling her that we figured out her name is Katie.
    Apparently "Kate" was pronounced Katie according to the SPCA.

Katie seems more suitable than Kate anyway that's for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Our three terriers are called Paddy, Henry and Seamus.

• Advertisement

When I was a kid, I had goldfish called Madge and Harold.

An old friend had a cat called Elliot Parker. I love the idea of giving an animal their own surname!

That reminds me of Richard Parker, the tiger in Life of Pi! I always liked that part of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

My animals mainly have human names I have Lola the dog and then the cats...Flora, Fauna, Willow, Lily Rose, Elsa, Lucy, Timmy, Freya, Faye and then the odd ones Spike and Fonz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Our two Shih Tzu boys are called Walter and Jesse.

But I'd say only one in ten people we meet with them get the connection. Weird, given the supposed popularity of the programme...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,307 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Am I alone in thinking this is just adorable? One of the families on Gogglebox have dogs called Frank and Dave. I've met a dog called Jonathan too.
    What else do people call their dogs? Mates dogs are Bran and Tori (from Tori Amos), and my old dog was called Holly.

Do people usually name their family members pets weird makey-uppy names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

the_syco wrote: »
    What else do people call their dogs? Mates dogs are Bran and Tori (from Tori Amos), and my old dog was called Holly.

Do people usually name their family members pets weird makey-uppy names?

There are loads of 'pet' names rather than human names. In the husky world, there must be thousands of them called Shadow, Diesel (guilty), Sky (guilty again), Demon, Nannuq, Nuka, Ice, Snow, Indy, Hunter etc. Ghost, Winter, Summer, Nymeria etc have become popular.

I guess maybe people call them a name that describes them in some way, or their colour at least - Rusty, Spot, Patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Our first cat was called Phoebe. Who was then joined by "Maisie" but that name never stuck, we just called her Lumpy all the time because she was, basically, a very lumpy looking cat. And that stuck. Awkward moment when we first took her to the vet though ... but never forgotten thereafter.

Now we have Pip, Pocket and Penny. Pip and Pocket were born in the month of Charles Dickens anniversary, hence the names (from "Great Expectations").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Our Dachshund - American staff cross is called Billy :D

Named after Billy-Joe Armstrong or as my missus would have you believe its short for "Baron Wilhelm Von Weinerschnitzel" :P

I did have cats called Henry, Polly and Lucy before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

D3V!L wrote: »

Named after Billy-Joe Armstrong or as my missus would have you believe its short for "Baron Wilhelm Von Weinerschnitzel" :P

that made me laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My Collie is called Allie, which is what the rescue had named her and because she was responding to it we stuck with the name :) One of my Cats is called Vogue, I don't know if that passes as a human name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

My friend is the States has a pug named Fergal. I have neighbours with a Jack Russell named Joan which cracks me up every time they call her! We previously had a Labrador named Tara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

D3V!L wrote: »

Reminds me - we once (long time ago) had a white rabbit called Isolde van der Hoppel. Issy for short :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

misschoo wrote: »
    My friend is the States has a pug named Fergal. I have neighbours with a Jack Russell named Joan which cracks me up every time they call her! We previously had a Labrador named Tara.

Oh lord "Joan" is so funnyl!!! I'm going to remember that one for any future dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

We're not fans of the so called traditional animal names either.

When my wife was young and got her first dog everyone wanted her to call him Spot, Rover etc. She called him Max.

We now have dogs Beth and Eddie plus cats called Jones, Gerry and Sal.

PS Eddie is named after the dog in Frasier and Jones after the cat in Aliens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

To a point I like it, I think some human names dont work but otherwise I think its nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I named a childhood cat Edward!

• Advertisement

SingItOut wrote: »
    My Collie is called Allie, which is what the rescue had named her and because she was responding to it we stuck with the name :) One of my Cats is called Vogue, I don't know if that passes as a human name though.

Sometimes I wonder if odd names like Vogue is even funnier than cats called Deirdre and such. I had a budgie called Yellow. She was of course yellow. I knew a horse called Blue. He was piebald. I think if I get another budgie I will call him/her Purple, for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My lurcher foster puppies are Lily and Lola. Lily went off to her new home today and my uncle is adopting Lola. He can't take her till the end of the month though so I've some more time with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I had a dog called Rodney and my friend who had budgies he used to call them names that began with r, so first he had Rita, then Rodger, then Roxy and the last one raheem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My daughter has named all our pets from books, except Jake (15yrs old cat), she was 3 and loved the tweenies, but she had told me for 6 months she wanted an orange cat called Harry, we ended up with two, but the ginger (later Jake) wasn't Harry, his grey brother was.
    We have dogs and cats, an Oliver, Tiffany (Aching), Arabella Figg, Ruby, Toby was named when we got him.
    Growing up our pets had people names, even Buck Rogers the Rabbit kinda, Sam, Tammy, Sindy, Breda, etc. My brother tried to name a cat sparky, but was over ruled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

We've had a mixture of human and 'pet' names. We use a lot of mythological names too.

Our dog was called Oscar. It suited him so well.

We have or have had guinea pigs called:
    • Xander
    • Hilda
    • Mabel
    • Maggie (not Margaret)
    • Skylar
    • Annie
    • Bert
    • Matilda
    • Toby
    • Elena
    • Ivy
    • Astrid

We've also had hamsters called Shirley and Emily.

We seem to pick generally more old-fashioned names, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bergmann

Agreed, it's hilarious! Next door neighbour's cat is called Alan and it just makes me laugh every time

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michelleryan86

Yes I tend to give my guys human names. We have had:
    Cats named: Brooke, Faye, Jake, Lara, Sammy.
    Guinea pigs named: Sophie and Penny

I think its really cute too.

Advertisement