Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calcium during pregnacy

Options
  • 17-06-2016 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi all. 8.5 weeks pregnant. Just looking for any advice on adding calcium into my diet? I'm worried because I despise milk, don't like yoghurt and rarely eat cheese. How else can I add it to my diet? For a while I was forcing myself to down a pint of milk every day but now that the morning sickness has kicked in that's no longer an option! I take Pregnacare supplements but I'm not 100% sure if they have calcium (plus it's always better to get it from the source)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

I find I am eating a lot more of it. Can you stomach cereal with milk. Im finding cornflakes great.

5am bowl of cornflakes with supermilk (Vitamin D helps absorption)
    Babybels for snacks.
    Yoghurt at least once a day.

hot chocolate could be an option too. Or icecream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

few things here, check the amounts though :

BIp0WyS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Thanks for the tips! Managed to keep down a glass of milk this morning, still feel like i should be taking in a lot more so i will try the veg route, was glad to see OJ on that chart i can definitely manage some of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

yeah, I wouldn't be one for drinking milk either. Cereals are often fortified with calcium and other vitamins and minerals, so check the boxes for that. If you have cereals with milk or a substitute, then that could provide some of your needs. I started drinking hemp milk recently, it's quite nice and has a lot of the same benefits as milk and more IMO.
    Does Pregnacare not have a breakdown of its contents on the box? you could ask a pharmacist's advice. Personally I'm just taking a supplement for calcium with Vit D, iron, omega 3/6/9, Vit C and B-complex. I was sure to get my GP to give me a blood test to make sure I wasn't overdoing any one of those and results came back perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I am Taking a calcium supplement, it is called calcichew and it also contains vitamin d. It is like a chalky kind of sweet which i know lots of people hate but i like taking it every day. Might be an idea for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement