Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first Triathlon. Training methods/ideas

Options
  • 17-06-2016 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm sure you get lots of these first time posters so I'll try not to bore you's.

Planning on doing my first triathlon this summer.
    Anyone have any tips on training methods.?
    I'd consider myself fairly fit and would usually run every second day about 5-8km. I'd also be fairly handy in water although I have never swam for long distances.
    I'm starting in the pool in the morning and will probably do abit of a cycle first in the gym.

My plan although probably not the best is to burst the treadmill, cycle bike and laps in the swimming pool until I'm at race distance ha. Someone help me here I'm a complete novice :). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lady lou wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm sure you get lots of these first time posters so I'll try not to bore you's.

Planning on doing my first triathlon this summer.
    Anyone have any tips on training methods.?
    I'd consider myself fairly fit and would usually run every second day about 5-8km. I'd also be fairly handy in water although I have never swam for long distances.
    I'm starting in the pool in the morning and will probably do abit of a cycle first in the gym.

My plan although probably not the best is to burst the treadmill, cycle bike and laps in the swimming pool until I'm at race distance ha. Someone help me here I'm a complete novice :). Thanks.

Sounds like your running isn't an issue however I would recommend a few runs off the bike as it will make a difference, jelly legs take some getting used to.

If your swimming a bit already that's a benefit but don't under estimate it and if you can get some open water training done with a group it is a real must in my eyes. Where are you based?

Have you been doing much cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Lady lou

Sounds like your running isn't an issue however I would recommend a few runs off the bike as it will make a difference, jelly legs take some getting used to.

If your swimming a bit already that's a benefit but don't under estimate it and if you can get some open water training done with a group it is a real must in my eyes. Where are you based?

Have you been doing much cycling?

I'm in the South-East. I haven't done much cycling but if I got on the bike id do 20km fairly easy at a handy pace. The only thing is worrying me is the swim and putting it all together one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Might be worth your while joining a Tri club - you don't say where exactly in the south east you are but Wexford, Waterford, Kilkenny, Carrick on Suir, etc. all have clubs.

Advertisement