Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Regional Hospital Labour & Delivery

Options
  • 17-06-2016 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi I was wondering if anybody here has given birth in waterford , Can you tell me what to expect on the big day iv about a week to go if i dont go over . Do you get a room to yourself or are you on a ward while in labour? sorry if this is a stupid question first time mom here. Iv heard lots and lots about having a birth plan but have yet to asked about what i would like. Is there anything you ladies would recommend bringing in my bag that i may not have taught of , i have the usual clean pjs for after , some toiletries,maternity pads and breast pads and all the baby's things. Any advice is welcome the more i think about it the more terrified i become.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Op I think you should ask mods to move the thread to pregnancy forum. You will more likely get relevant info there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

MOD Hi OP, I've moved your thread to the pregnancy forum as it's more suited to there. Please take note of the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Easy to say but try not to worry!
    From my experience in Waterford if you go into the hospital quite early on in labour you're usually put into a ward first (although even when I was on the ward there was no one else in the other beds so had it to myself!). Then as the labour goes on they'll love you to a 'labour suite' which is a private room where you stay until after you have the baby. You'll be assigned a midwife who will be your midwife for the whole time-unless there's a shift change and she's going home!. Earlier on in labour they just pop in and out and monitor you, and as things progress they'll sit in the room for longer with you.

After having the baby they leave you in that room on your own with the baby and your partner for an hour or so before you go back to a normal room.

I had thought about doing a birth plan but then just decided to wait and see how everything went and decide as I go. It's no harm if you've any set ideas or things you want to let your partner know so they can let the nurses and docs know if you're not up to it!

You're better off to have two bags-one for labour and one for your stay in hospital. In the labour bag have anything you might need during the labour (bearing in mind that can go on a while!), change of nightdress etc, and one full outfit for the baby. Put that full baby outfit (and I mean vest, baby gro, hat rather than an actual outfit!), into a plastic ziplock bag. Then when the baby is born your partner only needs to fish that small plastic bag from your bag rather than trying to find all the little bits.
    Then he could take that labour bag home and you have all the rest of your clean stuff for the few days in Hosp in another bag to bring straight to the ward.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pixiejess

sillysocks wrote: »
    Easy to say but try not to worry!
    From my experience in Waterford if you go into the hospital quite early on in labour you're usually put into a ward first (although even when I was on the ward there was no one else in the other beds so had it to myself!). Then as the labour goes on they'll love you to a 'labour suite' which is a private room where you stay until after you have the baby. You'll be assigned a midwife who will be your midwife for the whole time-unless there's a shift change and she's going home!. Earlier on in labour they just pop in and out and monitor you, and as things progress they'll sit in the room for longer with you.

After having the baby they leave you in that room on your own with the baby and your partner for an hour or so before you go back to a normal room.

I had thought about doing a birth plan but then just decided to wait and see how everything went and decide as I go. It's no harm if you've any set ideas or things you want to let your partner know so they can let the nurses and docs know if you're not up to it!

You're better off to have two bags-one for labour and one for your stay in hospital. In the labour bag have anything you might need during the labour (bearing in mind that can go on a while!), change of nightdress etc, and one full outfit for the baby. Put that full baby outfit (and I mean vest, baby gro, hat rather than an actual outfit!), into a plastic ziplock bag. Then when the baby is born your partner only needs to fish that small plastic bag from your bag rather than trying to find all the little bits.
    Then he could take that labour bag home and you have all the rest of your clean stuff for the few days in Hosp in another bag to bring straight to the ward.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much you have answered everything I wasnt sure about . I love the idea with the zip lock bag I will definitely do that such a good idea !

Advertisement