Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

DM_7 wrote: »
    No we are not giving the ball back even though you put it out as you thought a player was hurt.

not even Mandzukic himself thought he was hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ref has been fine, one or two decisions aside. If neymar is still on by 75 minutes, he'll get sent off (if not before then).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Juventus not playing well. They'd be better if the game was level. As it is i think they're happy defending their lead.

Ref has been excellent. Not allowing the baying crowd to influence him, unlike the Barca players who are completely getting carried away in the atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Rezident wrote: »
    This is such a shambles the ref will probably end up getting death threats. Will it take a dead ref to fix football with technology that's been around for a decade? Rugby is so far ahead of football its shameful.

The technology has ruined rugby .Endless tedious replays over and over whenever a try is scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Honestly, whoever went under Messi there should get a 2 game ban and I'm in favour of it becoming a world wide rule. Going under a player like that when they are high in the air is dangerous and terrible respect for a fellow sportsman. It should become an illegal tackle like the one they have in rugby.

It really, really annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Got to say, with all the uproar about the terrible officiating last night the ref here in the Barca/Juve game should be given a standing ovation for his performance so far. Been absolutely brilliant, so strong and fair to both sides.

The reactions of Barca players at times is expected of course and it takes a strong referee to stand up to it.

Neymar will be lucky to see out the 90 minutes though if he doesn't watch himself.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Excellent game of football. Pity there's a 3-0 deficit, but you get the feeling if Barcelona can get an early goal in the 2nd half then it could be game on. Juventus have been brilliant so far.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Honestly, whoever went under Messi there should get a 2 game ban and I'm in favour of it becoming a world wide rule. Going under a player like that when they are high in the air is dangerous and terrible respect for a fellow sportsman. It should become an illegal tackle like the one they have in rugby.

It really, really annoys me.

One of the few calls the ref got wrong in not booking the Juve player (Pjanic was it?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The technology has ruined rugby .Endless tedious replays over and over whenever a try is scored.

I disagree, it has added alot to rugby. It works well in rugby. Soccer it would be more difficult to implement unless its similar to NFL then it will add to the drama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

irishman86 wrote: »
    I disagree, it has added alot to rugby. It works well in rugby. Soccer it would be more difficult to implement unless its similar to NFL then it will add to the drama

It's terrible from an entertainment point of view in my opinion. Great buzz when a try is score but oh wait we need to go to the TMO and it takes forever to make a decision.The TMO should have the decision made instantly after the try is awarded and there should be no delay it takes away all the initial buzz of a try.

Same applies for it's use in Cricket and NFL where it takes far too ****ing long.

• Advertisement

Juve could regret not putting away any of their own chances too if Neymar continues to be allowed goat Alves 1 on 1, Cuadrado needs to be doing more to help his full back.

He allowed Alba in 3 or 4 times I remember and has been of very little help when Neymar is marauding. You feel that is the area Barca will have their success from, Suarez being kept out of it. Messi missing a sitter, and being largely ineffective also means it is on Neymars shoulders again by the looks of it.

Course, Messi and Suarez are so good that they can turn a game in a moment. Really compelling match so far, and again I think we have the ref to thank for that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Juve had a go for the first 15 minutes and looked very threatening, then they settled in to defend. They did the same thing in the first game. It'll win them the tie but i think they could win on the night if they kept positive. Not the Italian way unfortunately. Pragmatism wins.

It's terrible from an entertainment point of view in my opinion. Great buzz when a try is score but oh wait we need to go to the TMO and it takes forever to make a decision.The TMO should have the decision made instantly after the try is awarded and there should be no delay it takes away all the initial buzz of a try.

Same applies for it's use in Cricket and NFL where it takes far too ****ing long.

Guess we dont agree, I think the tension on whether it will be awarded is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It shows how far football has actually fallen in many respects when a referee is praised for not giving a free every time a player is touched.

And not only that, but that every time a player falls over, players feel they're entitled to protest like petulant kids.

corny wrote: »
    Juve had a go for the first 15 minutes and looked very threatening, then they settled in to defend. They did the same thing in the first game. It'll win them the tie but i think they could win on the night if they kept positive. Not the Italian way unfortunately. Pragmatism wins.

Allegri goes looking for an early goal but is happy to play counter attacking from then, and tbh with a 3 goal cushion there is nothing wrong with the approach here.

The longer it stays 0-0 the more Barca will push up and at some point Dybala or Higuain will get a golden opportunity to end this tie emphatically.

Greedy

SlickRic wrote: »
    It shows how far football has actually fallen in many respects when a referee is praised for not giving a free every time a player is touched.

And not only that, but that every time a player falls over, players feel they're entitled to protest like petulant kids.

That's fair alright, but I do feel that given the horrendous performance last night from a high profile game it is only right to point out good performance in an equally high profile game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ah come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Rezident wrote: »
    This is such a shambles the ref will probably end up getting death threats. Will it take a dead ref to fix football with technology that's been around for a decade? Rugby is so far ahead of football its shameful.

Rugby has been ruined by that ridiculous, ambiguous Advantage rule that can roll on for anything up to 3-4 mins before play can be called back.

Shambolic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

George Hamilton confused Busquets for Pique in the first half, fair enough.

There he mixed up Iniesta and Rakitic...he needs an eye test!

• Advertisement

I genuinely believe Neymar thinks he's not allowed be tackled the way he reacts every single fúcking time.

He could learn something from Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Barca will need 5 tonight, as I can see a Juve breakaway goal as Barca push and push.

George Hamilton confused Busquets for Pique in the first half, fair enough.

There he mixed up Iniesta and Rakitic...he needs an eye test!

No Suarez mixed up with Sanchez at least. :)

Touch of class there from Barcelona, player apparently injured on the ground, try to use him as a distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Rugby has been ruined by that ridiculous, ambiguous Advantage rule that can roll on for anything up to 3-4 mins before play can be called back.

Shambolic.
    Not at all. If teams don't like it, they should play with more discipline.

Or chuck on a Welsh jersey and pray Wayne Barnes is officiating. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

rugby forum that way
    >

Close by the little genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Needs to happen now

Is RTE 2 that far behind?

• Advertisement

Is RTE 2 that far behind?

Yes. The App is anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Shambolic.
    If you think the advantage rule is ambiguous you simply don't understand the sport.

Yes. The App is anyway.

On tv aswell

I can think of someone else who would be getting a good bit of criticism by now for 'wasting all those chances' in certain circles. :D

It's been a good game, but that Juve defense is just looking too experienced, organised and resolute. Chiellini/Bonucci/Buffon have been a hell of a trio for them for quite some time, have to be the best trio since at least Ferdinand/Vidic/VDS at their best a good few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

500 scoreless minutes versus juve.

Juve's defensive positioning and plugging of any gaps for through balls is brilliant.

• Advertisement

GreNoLi wrote: »
    500 scoreless minutes versus juve.

Don't see it lasting to 530 minutes, to be honest. Then again, don't see Barca getting the 3+ needed so I doubt Juve will mind much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Higuain is about as fast as myself in a 1 on 1 situation.

Hahahahaahahaha Sergio you idiot, have you never heard of playing the ref. Surely thats not just a rugby thing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Khedira could have been off there .

What a foul.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »

He really couldnt

Khedira raging at Alex Sandro.

Stupid play by Sandro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

That's entirely Sandra's fault. Bit of a dive from Suarez but Sandro really left his teammate in a hole

Lucas Hood wrote: »

If so, we should all just give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ERG89 wrote: »
    Higuain is about as fast as myself in a 1 on 1 situation.

And about as clinical as Djimi Traore in those situations in big games.

Without a doubt my new favourite ref, Imagine him in a Real game with Pepe and Ramos. Someone would die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's not happening for Barca tonight.

Is that Messi twin in the stands?

That's about 4 or 5 Messi has wasted now.

Jesus what's going on with Messi?

• Advertisement
Advertisement