Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016-17 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Never change Eamo...never change!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

GavRedKing wrote: »
    La Mesia's quality has dried up and they dont have the money to buy ready made replacements or superstars.

This Barcelona side is going to go through a serious transisation over the next 2 years, Real should hoover up 2 or 3 titles in the next few years too.

That's absolutely not true. La Masia still produces some excellent players and some players who, if they were given the chance to grow and develop in an environment like the Barça first team, could grow and become big stars. Thiago Alcantara might be the best midfielder in the world, Grimaldo is a superstar left back, Hector Bellerin is a top level right back, Marc Bartra is a very talented centre back, Adama Traore and Delofeu have gifts that could've been nurtured at the club, Munir is an obvious talent, Sergi Samper right now should be at the same level as Julian Weigl but he isn't because he's not been given a quarter of the chance to grow as Weigl has, Carles Alena is a bloody maestro, will he be given the chance? I have my doubts. The quality remains unbelievably high, what's changed is that there is no longer a coach at the helm willing to give these guys a chance, and the current board cares only about selling off our best youth players to make a quick buck, they have sucked the lifeblood out of our club and brought in soulless zombies like Gomes and Turan for big money. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That's Juventus to win the CL now.

Thanks Eamo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Easy progression for Juve. This Barcelona team have no bottle and it will show tonight, no leaders on the pitch and one very petulant genius who doesn't show up much when the chips are down

As I already stated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Dunphy 'disappointed' with Juventus. What absolute twaddle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And he backed them.

Why would you back a team you thought was full of donkeys?

Eamo full of something for sure.

Dunphy and his donkey list lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

Dunphy, utterly wrong as usual, but more entertaining than the football! Donkey derby! We will never see his like again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Dunphy is joke. He's a parody of himself. Any good pieces of analysis he produces are decimated by the bullsh1t he comes out with.

Good for a cheap laugh though, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

martyos121 wrote: »
    He does exist and his name is Marco Verratti, not that Barca could afford him. Brady knows fcuk all about football outside of the PL.

Wouldn't put him on the same level as Xavi personally but that's because with all the talk of Messi or Ronaldo fanboys, I've always been a Xavi one and would put him in the top 20 players of all time, easily, maybe even top 10-12.

That said, Verratti is out of this world and I'm still not over Man Utd not pushing hard for him in 2012 when we were a much more attractive option than PSG with Scholes all but retired (again). Then again I was the same on Vidal in 2010 and with not giving Pogba playing time in the first place to prevent him leaving. Vidal, Verratti, Pogba (as a youth team player, no crazy price tag)... hmph. :(

• Advertisement

Eamo can't lose.

If they get knocked out, sure they are full of donkeys.

If they win the CL, sure didn't I back them at the start!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Juventus really could have murdered Barcelona tonight if they had the appetite to. Higuain was especially poor. I lost count of the amount of times Cuadrado could have put through on goal. 4 shots to 1 on target.

As an aside....teams defending well like Juve used to be the norm in football, especially Italian football. These days the premium is on technical ability or middle distance running for defenders. General standard Europe wide has fallen in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Great stuff from Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

GavRedKing wrote: »
    La Mesia's quality has dried up and they dont have the money to buy ready made replacements or superstars.

This Barcelona side is going to go through a serious transisation over the next 2 years, Real should hoover up 2 or 3 titles in the next few years too.

Don't have the money..... You what now????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

corny wrote: »
    Juventus really could have murdered Barcelona tonight if they had the appetite to. Higuain was especially poor. I lost count of the amount of times Cuadrado could have put through on goal. 4 shots to 1 on target.

As an aside....teams defending well like Juve used to be the norm in football, especially Italian football. These days the premium is on technical ability or middle distance running for defenders. General standard Europe wide has fallen in the last 20 years.
    I think Eamon had a bet on that they would, but sure why would they they were 3 up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Why cant people just compliment the amazing Barcelona fans without having a dig at Real. Its so petty.
    Sad to see such a great team needing such a massive rebuild.
    Some dreadful signings recently as well as gutting the youth team of any of the talent they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

irishman86 wrote: »
    Why cant people just compliment the amazing Barcelona fans without having a dig at Real. Its so petty.
    Some dreadful signings recently as well as gutting the youth team of any of the talent they had.

Letting Thiago go was absolute folly.

That's absolutely not true. La Masia still produces some excellent players and some players who, if they were given the chance to grow and develop in an environment like the Barça first team, could grow and become big stars. Thiago Alcantara might be the best midfielder in the world, Grimaldo is a superstar left back, Hector Bellerin is a top level right back, Marc Bartra is a very talented centre back, Adama Traore and Delofeu have gifts that could've been nurtured at the club, Munir is an obvious talent, Sergi Samper right now should be at the same level as Julian Weigl but he isn't because he's not been given a quarter of the chance to grow as Weigl has, Carles Alena is a bloody maestro, will he be given the chance? I have my doubts. The quality remains unbelievably high, what's changed is that there is no longer a coach at the helm willing to give these guys a chance, and the current board cares only about selling off our best youth players to make a quick buck, they have sucked the lifeblood out of our club and brought in soulless zombies like Gomes and Turan for big money. Pathetic.
    I dont agree with all this Traore/Samper for me are just not Barcelona level. Dont know enough about Alena, watched him once for 15 mins :pac:
    But how they let go of Thiago and Grimaldo (Who was the captain of the B team if im correct) is scandalous
    Delofeu is unlucky with who he has been competing with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

I'm tired of waiting for the inevitable showdown between Richie and Eamo...The antipathy between them is growing by the week.There'll be skin and hair flying...I'd fancy Richie to take him out for good!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Richie saddlier is pretty dull without his dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I thought Cuadrado was decent tonight.

Dunphy seems to think that he automatically is useless because it didn't work out at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Great stuff from Dunphy.

I thought it was lazy by his standards.
    He seems to believe that the Premier leagues money will strip teams like Barcelona of top players.
    Has he forgotten about brexit, the drop in sterling, work visas etc?
    The standard of football in the Premier league is on a downward slope, one team in the last eight of the Champions league, none in the last four.
    It's miles behind La liga in terms of technical skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not that i take him too seriously but Dunphy slagging Juventus because they defend well is obscene. Scoring three ****ing goals when the game was a contest gave them the right to defend their lead Dunphy. There's nothing overtly negative about them at all. They took Barca to the cleaners when they were up for it.

Juve V Atletico would be a great final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Richie saddlier is pretty dull without his dog.

No need to talk about Kenny Cunningham in those terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

irishman86 wrote: »

It's fair to compare them as they are the biggest clubs in spain. How is it petty nobody here supports either club so it's hardly a dig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Cuadrado was very involved, but I wouldn't say he was good by any stretch. Thought he was a real weak link

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Dunphy seems to think that he automatically is useless because it didn't work out at Chelsea.

As another poster said, these guys know SFA if it's not in the PL. I hope Cuadrado signs a permanent deal in the summer.

Not that i take him too seriously but Dunphy slagging Juventus because they defend well is obscene. Scoring three ****ing goals when the game was a contest gave them the right to defend their lead Dunphy. There's nothing overtly negative about them at all. They took Barca to the cleaners when they were up for it.

He's just bitter because of his embarrassing bias for Messi and Barca. A decade ago he couldn't shut himself up about Italy playing the same in the WC, and Cannavaro being "a man you'd go to war with". Over and over and over and over.

GreNoLi wrote: »

dogs-with-eyebrows-3A.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

They are Italian ffs. It's totally misundersranding and misrepresenting Italian football. It was a good defensive performance.

GreNoLi wrote: »

I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Cuadrado was very involved, but I wouldn't say he was good by any stretch. Thought he was a real weak link

Ah, will you stop. He was a machine tonight, breaking up any flow his side of the pitch, made himself open all throughout when Juve had possession, was positive on the ball and countless energy. Some of his decision making is questionable but he compensated wholly.

He was vital tonight.

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's fair to compare them as they are the biggest clubs in spain. How is it petty nobody here supports either club so it's hardly a dig.

Plenty support either club, its a petty dig. Its the equivalent of dissing Liverpool fans because they dont cheer as hard as United fans. Its sad actually more than petty. An sad attempt to make the other look bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Hopefully the semis are Atletico v Real and Juve v Monaco with the final being Atletico v Juve.

An Atletico v Juve final would be great as whoever wins you could be happy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I like the share price on Monaco at the moment. They've convinced me that they are capable of beating the best and I think they'll win the Champion's league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Dunphy talking absolute horse manure. Juve beat Barca 3-0 in Turin and gave a defensive masterclass tonight. Mandzukic has been a revelation this season on the left. Pjanic was superb tonight and what else is there to be said about Bonucci (€15.5m vs Stones €50m for.e.g.) and Chiellini. Eamo can't even pronounce "Juve" correctly so take what he says about Serie A with a pinch of salt.

What is with the Cunningham jokes?

He would at least challenge Dunphy with his opinion unlike saddlier who just pouts.

Ah, will you stop. He was a machine tonight, breaking up any flow his side of the pitch, made himself open all throughout when Juve had possession, was positive on the ball and countless energy. Some of his decision making is questionable but he compensated wholly.

He was vital tonight.

I have already pointed out some of his poor play in a half time post, I have no interest in arguing the toss about it. Its subjective I suppose, you saw what you saw and liked it, I saw what I saw and didn't.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

What game was Dunphy talking about when he said "if you want to be entertained go to the cinema"?

I have already pointed out some of his poor play in a half time post, I have no interest in arguing the toss about it. Its subjective I suppose, you saw what you saw and liked it, I saw what I saw and didn't.

You posted an opinion on a discussion forum, forgive me for responding with a rebuttal to said opinion without expecting a petty response! And I didn't see nor acknowledge your earlier post, I was responding to that post.

As I said, it is a discussion forum! No point stating an opinion and expect noone to respond!

• Advertisement

You posted an opinion on a discussion forum, forgive me for responding with a rebuttal to said opinion without expecting a petty response! And I didn't see nor acknowledge your earlier post, I was responding to that post.

As I said, it is a discussion forum! No point stating an opinion and expect noone to respond!

I think you're confused tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

NIMAN wrote: »
    Probably in the bookies, but I think Juve would do them this year.

They have 12 men though, impossible to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

tanko wrote: »
    What game was Dunphy talking about when he said "if you want to be entertained go to the cinema"?

Opening game of Euro 2000 I think, Belgium Sweden maybe?

I think you're confused tbh.

Righteo! I am not sure where you are going with this!

Anyway I wasn't spoiling for a vitriolic argument, I just thought a statement stating that Cuadrado wasn't good by any stretch tonight was a bit silly and deserved a response!

Opening game of Euro 2000 I think, Belgium Sweden maybe?

A terrible month for movies!

https://www.movieinsider.com/movies/june/2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bret Hart wrote: »
    CR7 what a player. I doubt we'll ever see anything like him again. He's won everything in club football and doing so as well in different leagues and captained his country to their first ever international trophy.His mental strength and determination is the best of any player I've ever witnessed.I've been very fortunate too have seen him live on numerous occasions both while playing for Utd and Real.

He's the greatest player of my time watching the game. Big moment killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Cant see past Juve at the moment :) their defence is so solid , their well organized, good at going forward and have a top class manager in allergri , that knows his tactics... Can only seeing Real ( Ronaldo) posing them a threat .

** ps**

only posting this cuz i wanna see Buffon with a UCL medal

I honestly think this years CL is now wide open, any one of these teams could win it.
    They all have different attributes.

For example, Monaco will be everyones outsiders, but they seem to be scoring for fun in this years competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It will be between Juventus, Monaco and Atletico imo, with Juventus winning outright. Napoli, Barca, Bayern, Man City, PSG and Dortmund will all be done by a good defensive counter attacking team. Arsenal, Porto, Benfica, Sevilla, Leicester and Bayer aren't good enough. Madrid may cause Juve, Atletico and Monaco trouble in a one legged final as they play in a more direct and pragmatic fashion than your Barca's or Bayern's but would also be undone over 2 legs imo and Juve seem to hold the indian sign over them

And to think, some people laughed when I posted the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

And to think, some people laughed when I posted the above!

"Needless to say, I had the last laugh." - Alan Partridge

• Advertisement
Advertisement